Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ownership society 2002

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Disowned by the Ownership Society | Naomi Klein

Disowned by the Ownership Society
    By Naomi Klein - January 31st, 2008
    Remember the "ownership society," fixture of major George W. Bush addresses for the first four years of his presidency? "We're creating...an ownership society in this country, where more Americans than ever will be able to open up their door where they live and say, welcome to my house, welcome to my piece of property," Bush said in October 2004. Washington think-tanker Grover Norquist predicted that the ownership society would be Bush's greatest legacy, remembered "long after people can no longer pronounce or spell Fallujah." Yet in Bush's final State of the Union address, the once-ubiquitous phrase was conspicuously absent. And little wonder: rather than its proud father, Bush has turned out to be the ownership society's undertaker.

and from his 2002 speech:

President Hosts Conference on Minority Homeownership

a few gems, from george....

Last June, I issued a challenge to everyone involved in the housing industry to help increase the number of minority families to be home owners. And what I'm talking about, I'm talking about your bankers and your brokers and developers, as well as members of faith-based community and community programs. And the response to the home owners challenge has been very strong and very gratifying. Twenty-two public and private partners have signed up to help meet our national goal. Partners in the mortgage finance industry are encouraging homeownership by purchasing more loans made by banks to African Americans, Hispanics and other minorities.

Freddie Mae -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- I see the heads who are here; I want to thank you all for coming -- (laughter) -- have committed to provide more money for lenders. They've committed to help meet the shortage of capital available for minority home buyers.

Fannie Mae recently announced a $50 million program to develop 600 homes for the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma. Franklin, I appreciate that commitment. They also announced $12.7 million investment in a condominium project in Harlem. It's the beginnings of a series of initiatives to help meet the goal of 5.5 million families. Franklin told me at the meeting where we kicked this office, he said, I promise you we will help, and he has, like many others in this room have done.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Worst President ever.

There are probably 10 Million people who could have done a better job than Bush over 8 years.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The Teddy Bruschi Bobblehead doll sitting at my desk could do a better job. Seriously.
  4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

Maybe, but none of them are named Gore, Kerry or Obama.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

good one!

"back to the lecture at hand....." -Snopp Dogg

Anyone want to talk about the 20+ lenders who chose to participate in this program and the 20+ lenders now being investigated by the FBI.

Anyone wanna talk about the $700 billion in profits the banks and loan companies have taken in during that same period of time, and the $700 billion bailout?

must just be a coincidence.....maybe I'm just crazy....