PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OWNERS might opt out of CBA... [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OWNERS might opt out of CBA...

It's stuff like this that makes me less committed to sports. Although I'm optimistic that the owners (despite Goodell's incompetence) will retain a version of the salary cap, should the NFL become like MLB, with only the rich owners dominating and spoiled players without any risk of being cut, I will lose interest. I would have only minor rooting interest in a Patriots team that purchased its Lombardis.
I agree with your sentiment, but I think there's little cause to worry in the long term. Everyone knows what happened to MLB.

In the NFL, the owners are businesspeople but they're also generally respectful of the game and their role as caretakers. I believe they've learned from the mistakes of the MLB owners.

I don't believe wealthy businesspeople buy sports teams solely as an investment vehicle. There is an emotional value for them, just as most players play for the money and because they love the game. No one wants to screw up the sport they love or the money-making machine it has become.

Every time you hear a player say, "it's a business", they're saying that it's not pure sport. They're not saying it's only a business. So I'm confident they'll work it out long-term.

OTOH, that doesn't mean there isn't the possibility of an uncapped year, or a lockout, or some such. But it won't last, and they'll go back to salary cap shortly thereafter and our favorite game* will be intact.

* Yes, I am not a fan of MLB, mostly for the reasons you gave.

Last edited:

It's stuff like this that makes me less committed to sports. Although I'm optimistic that the owners (despite Goodell's incompetence) will retain a version of the salary cap, should the NFL become like MLB, with only the rich owners dominating and spoiled players without any risk of being cut, I will lose interest. I would have only minor rooting interest in a Patriots team that purchased its Lombardis.

I get what you're saying. I lost all interest in the Sox once they became John Henry's Yankees. Baseball was boring enough as a game without having to watch it played by hired guns, let alone for a team that had morphed into the thing I was raised to detest. As a youngster hockey was my passion. I lost it once the Bruins pissed away a legendary team. Then as the game was taken over first by thugs I could outskate and later by guys whose names I can't pronounce, I was lost to the hockey world forever.

A couple of mediots were talking this week about how they don't get why we care what players get paid. Well, it's a blue collar thing. Like us, football players have historically had to earn their money and are at risk of losing their job on any Monday morning. For that reason most of them try harder. With all the guaranteed money some of that has already changed. But the rank and file are still operating under the same sort of system most of us have to deal with. Yeah, they all make six figure salaries - but they also are forced to retire decades sooner with all manner of job related disabilities that will dog them into eternity.

And while I know that Bob can compete, I'm not sure he will choose to. There is something special and unique in winning as we did with a team even the HC was stunned had pulled that off in 2001, and by winning in 2003 and 2004 by simply out performing the competition as an organization, on and off the field, without the benefit of outspending them but by out thinking them.

But for now look at the bright side - once they vote to opt out that story will replace the one that is currently dominating the NFL media.

Re: Upshaw thinks owners will opt out of CBA

MODS...This can be merged into the OTHER CBA thread....

Being a rich owner is no guarantee in MLB. But that is nitpicking. Without the salary cap, the NFL would be much less interesting.

i disagree. i would like a system that is much more "free market" than what we have now. they don't have to go all the way to the MLB model, but it's not right that Bob Kraft has to bust his hump to derive every dollar of revenue from his franchise when other owners are "too good" to sell naming rights to their stadiums or to market their own teams aggressively, while being subsidized by teams like the Patriots.

as for the "purchased...Lombardi's," IMO, the Pats would have "purchased" them with the proceeds of their success, so that's fine by me. and, we would miss you out here should you end up with "only minor rooting interest" in the team. :)

i'm usually a nice "librul demmacrat," but here I'm siding with the owners. the system is busted if Bob Kraft subsidizes franchises that won't market their teams aggressively or sell naming rights to their stadiums. too many of the small market teams are getting a free ride. if a few of them fail, move or get sold to more aggressive owners, that's fine by me. there's nothing magic about a "32 team" NFL. 28 or 30 teams would work just fine.

i'm usually a nice "librul demmacrat," but here I'm siding with the owners. the system is busted if Bob Kraft subsidizes franchises that won't market their teams aggressively or sell naming rights to their stadiums. too many of the small market teams are getting a free ride. if a few of them fail, move or get sold to more aggressive owners, that's fine by me. there's nothing magic about a "32 team" NFL. 28 or 30 teams would work just fine.
32..IS a good number...and it seems balanced at 4 x 4 in both conferences...BUT it must work for all..and I agree..THOSE small market teams need to do better NO free ride for them..THAT is totally unfair,,but what about what Upshaw said?? Without saying it what help will they give to it all..or is this CBA more about owners than players.?? I do not know what the owners really want?? Less than 60% What would work? What is needed?

OK..this is an interesting topic..and COULD be one for all of football..How many owners will go with the buffoon and NOT opt out?? NINE are needed to bail...and I have to wonder if Goodell has the vision to understand what is needed.. OR is he just not wanting waves because he KNOWS he is inept and wants his power to continue NOW?? I don't know all the side issues and I feel they are really needed to understand the ramifications...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

"As we hear it, Goodell wants the league and the union to negotiate an extension of the CBA without declaring an intention to kill the deal two years early, in order to avoid the potentially negative press arising from such a decision."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes