PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overtime rules .... Should there be changes next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Overtime Rules...To change or not to change?

• I think the OT rules are fine as is

Votes: 29 38.7%
  • I would like the OT rules the same as Collegiate Rules

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I would like to see the teams play a full 5th quarter

Votes: 27 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The head coaches should arm wrestle at the fifty yard line.

If they're old, or not good arm wrestlers, they should be able to designate a coach to wrestle for them.

This would ensure that at least one assistant coach would look like Hulk Hogan, and bring some fun to the sidelines.

This is a billion dollar industry and only 16 games a season. Ending a game with a coin toss is rediculous. I has always been against the OT rule. Each team should have equal possesions. If first team scores a FG then the other team can tie or go for a TD win. First team scores a TD then other team must score TD. 2 pt conversion can be used to end game quicker. Much mire dramatic. Tie after 15 mins.

I voted collegiate rules. I don't know why you'd want a full fifth quarter. That fatigue would be a major setback going into the next game.

Last edited:
I ddin't vote...I hate the OT rule now..the team with the ball has a great percentage of winning...and it's NOT good. The collegiate rules are terrible..I don't like TDs being credited when you really start where you do..it's a sham...and a full quarter is too much. I THINK there's a way that one can have each team get a 6 minute quarter...and at the end if it's tied so be it. There MUST be a way to do it that SEEMS like football..and is fair...The way it is is NOT fair at all..

Win the game in sixty minutes, then none of it matters. If you lose in sudden Death it was your fault for being there. Face it Pats...you lost

Win the game in sixty minutes, then none of it matters. If you lose in sudden Death it was your fault for being there. Face it Pats...you lost

Okay bud....the point of this was not to change the ruling based upon our loss....it is a discussion on what could be done with the OT rule.

All I really meant was a team puts there self in that jeopardy by being involved in a stalemate. The rule shouldn't be changed, all teams know the rules. Three hours is a long time for these athletes to perform, and injuries would happen. It's like my dad told me in little league, "Make a play, Son."

Polian: NFL competition committee discussing OT changes - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com
INDIANAPOLIS -- Colts president Bill Polian said potential changes to the league's overtime system are being considered by the NFL's competition committee.
The overtime rules came under scrutiny most recently after the Chargers beat the Colts 23-17 in overtime during a wild-card game on Jan. 3. San Diego won the coin toss and Indianapolis never had possession of the ball in the extra frame.

I faced it, we lost. I'm not on the competition commitee I was just giving my opinion

Phil! Phil! What's wrong, man? What's with all the hostility, Phil?

Seriously, the Pats lost in OT, so it prompted a discussion about the OT rule. Imagine that! Crazy! :rolleyes:

Some people posted that they were essentially fine with the existing rule. Regardless, I didn't see anybody blaming this loss specifically on the OT rule. In fact, if you've read any of the numerous threads regarding the game, everyone here has put this loss squarely on the Pats performance (or lack thereof, more accurately) and some even GASP! credited the Broncos for getting the job done. Face that.

So relax...you'll probably enjoy it more here if you pay attention and dial it down a notch. Or don't...whatever works for ya. :confused2:

Last edited:
This topic gets brought up every year- pretty much every time there's an overtime game, actually. Yeah, I've always thought that the NFL blows at overtime, but I don't really know what the proper solution is. NCAA does it pretty well, so I guess I'd default to suggesting that the NFL copy that, but that's far from perfect...

a whole 5th quarter definitely isn't the answer: exhausted players = injured players.

Last edited:
This topic gets brought up every year- pretty much every time there's an overtime game, actually. Yeah, I've always thought that the NFL blows at overtime, but I don't really know what the proper solution is. NCAA does it pretty well, so I guess I'd default to suggesting that the NFL copy that, but that's far from perfect...

a whole 5th quarter definitely isn't the answer: exhausted players = injured players.

Why bother with overtime at all ... let games end in a tie.

This thread shows why there will never be any OT rules change. Sure a lot of people think there should be a rules change, but there is absolutely no consensus regarding precisely what that rule change should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back