PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overtime rules .... Should there be changes next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Overtime Rules...To change or not to change?

• I think the OT rules are fine as is

Votes: 29 38.7%
  • I would like the OT rules the same as Collegiate Rules

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I would like to see the teams play a full 5th quarter

Votes: 27 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
How has the outcome of yesterday's game come to you in terms of the NFL's long running Overtime rule which was under consideration of modfication in the offseason?

Do you like it as is or would like to see a different method?

Last edited:
I was talking about this the other week with a college football fan which was worthwhile as they're different.

My conclusion :

Keep as is. But the first team posessing the ball needs to score a TD to win. That would make it far tougher to win on the first posession and may even result in teams choosing to kickoff. In case I wasn't clear enough, once the non receiving team gets the ball, a FG could then win it.

While I think you're correct in bringing up a controversial topic, we are a team that lives with a 'no excuses' policy. We had chances in the NYJ game last yr, and also yesterday--to make key defensive stops, yet failed to do so.

I think it would be fair to look at the rule, yet they've done so time and time again. If we make some defensive stops, and win the game, then no one would be questioning the rule.

It's up to the team to make the stops, and to play within the rules that have been set forth. Otherwise, we'd sound like BAL.

At least that's my opinion--right or wrong. But, as I stated, I can surely see why you brought it up too.

I'm not voting in the poll because I don't like any of the responses :)

I was talking about this the other week with a college football fan which was worthwhile as they're different.

My conclusion :

Keep as is. But the first team posessing the ball needs to score a TD to win. That would make it far tougher to win on the first posession and may even result in teams choosing to kickoff. In case I wasn't clear enough, once the non receiving team gets the ball, a FG could then win it.
I like what you say here. Maybe the NFL should go with the rules of the old WLAF. Basically you need to take a 6 point lead to trigger "sudden death". So if the team that receives the kickoff gets a TD, they win. But if they get a FG, then it would still be a valuable 3 points, but play continues until someone takes a 6 point lead or time runs out.

Last edited:
I have no problem with the OT rules as they are.

I do, however, think making OT the first one to six would make it more exciting.

The college system isn't even football IMHO. It's more like homerun derby.

I like what you say here. Maybe the NFL should go with the rules of the old WLAF. Basically you need to take a 6 point lead to trigger "sudden death". So if the team that receives the kickoff gets a TD, they win. But if they get a FG, then it would still be a valuable 3 points, but play continues until someone takes a 6 point lead or time runs out.
That would work too but I think the NFL wants O.T. to be fairly short which is why I stick with a one score wins concept.

Six point lead would take way too long. First one to six would present some interesting dynamics.

I'm fine with the current rules as long as we win the coin toss.

Instead of the receiving team has to score a TD, the receiving team does not get to return a kickoff, they simply get the ball on their own 10. Making them have to drive a little of face giving the other team great field position.

I think overall, defense uses more energy than offense, and by the end of the game, defenses can't keep up. No matter what you change the rule to, I think this is the case, this is why the super bowls the last few years have been close and then shootouts in the last 10 minutes...

No matter what you change the rules too, the defense is spent, and the offense is going to move the ball if they are worth anything.

I could get on board with the first team to six, but to be honest, I've never had a problem with the OT rules when they work in our favor. :D

However, if Polian couldn't manage to get them changed after the Colts OT loss to the Chargers in their playoff game last season, I just don't see a change a comin'. ;)

Last edited:
From what I hear we may NEVER see teams play a full quarter of overtime since there is a lot of negative vibes about this from the NFLPA regarding the concern of injuries sustained in a possible full extra 15 minutes.

I am adamantly against college OT rules.

When you lose a coin flip in the NFL, you actually get to put your defense on the field and hold the opponent to less than a 60 yard drive (before they get in FG position). That sounds reasonable to me.

Brady going into yesterday was 7-0 in OT games. Seems like this fan-base should be for that procedure based on those results.

Well, it's all a mute point because I think it'll take something drastic to change the rule, something like OT in the Superbowl, and one team has just dominated another in the 2nd half, and ties it up, like scoring 21 unanswered, and the team that got owned in the 2nd half wins the toss, gets a questionable Pass Interference call and kicks a long FG to win.

Something along those lines.

The patriots lost a game in overtime. The rules should be changed.

Every year this comes up and is turned down. With this current Patriot's

team, we can expect a loss if we lose the coin toss.

My conclusion :

I couldn't agree more! If the toss winning team gets a TD - they win the game. In these cases - the team that wins the toss might even defer. If you score a FG - the other team will get a chance to get a possession. This current rule is the most idiotic rule in all of sports. I would like someone to tell me any other sport that has OT rules such as these. In soccre - both teams get 5 penalties and then sudden death. In Baseball both teams get a chance to bat in extra innings. It's a very ludicrous and archaic rule that needs to be changed.

First team to six, and I've been saying that for a couple years now, so it's got nothing to do with yesterday's game for me.

1 TD or 2 FG's, easy as pie.

Teams like Cleveland and buffalo might play another 4 quarters.

First team to six, and I've been saying that for a couple years now, so it's got nothing to do with yesterday's game for me.

1 TD or 2 FG's, easy as pie.

Teams like Cleveland and buffalo might play another 4 quarters.

Perhaps I should qualify my answer with saying "6-points OR leader at the end of the fifth OR tie."

Still, that's just not gonna happen too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes