PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overpaying for a player ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aabtec

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
With all of the Asante threads that have been started/merged and new ones that pop up, I keep reading alot of posters say we shouldn't "overpay". What constitutes overpaying ? Top 5 money top 10 money ? With the salary cap having gone up alot over this past year the value of players have increased. There is more money available. With that being said, if the Pats view their total payroll at $105 million and the cap is 115 or higher do they risk being viewed as cheap or do they risk alienating the season ticket holders.

Last edited:
I'm a big Asante fan but Top 5 would definitely be overpaying.

The only season tickets holders that will be alienated after this run are people who obviously don't deserve tickets in the first place.

The Patriots are going to tag Samuel. Some team outside our division will gladly pay a first day draft pick and renegotiate a top 5 salary for Samuel, allowing us to do what we really like, which is perpetually reload while keeping as many of our players as possibly off the damn Jets roster.

The main thing that concerns me has never been if we overpay or underpay for a player, we've certainly been able to "make do" with players who aren't the top paid in their positions, it's the aftermath.

So far there really hasn't been a player who has been overly vocal upon leaving about the Pats being cheap or showing no loyalty to veteran players. There has been no true trash talking which I frankly find amazing (Has anyone heard ANYTHING from McGinest?!?).

The fact that there has never been a true mutiny among a group of players who will be leaving one at a time and each labeled as overpaid and greedy by we, the fans is astounding if you think about it and to me THAT is the most incredible streak in our dynasty.

With all of the Asante threads that have been started/merged and new ones that pop up, I keep reading alot of posters say we shouldn't "overpay". What constitutes overpaying ? Top 5 money top 10 money ? With the salary cap having gone up alot over this past year the value of players have increased. There is more money available. With that being said, if the Pats view their total payroll at $105 million and the cap is 115 or higher do they risk being viewed as cheap or do they risk alienating the season ticket holders.

Over-paying for a player is when you pay more than what the plaayer is really worth. Asante has made himself into a good (not great) cover corner who likes to hit people. The problem is that he is a poor tackler. He doesn't like to wrap up players. That means he's not worthy of top 5 consideration. Maybe not even top 10 consideration.

Now, one thing you are over-looking is that there is a MINIMUM amount that a team has to spend on the salary cap. And that minimum is HIGH, I believe its less than 10%, but I'm not 100% positive.

The salary cap next year will be 109 million - any NLTBE bonuses earned + any LTBE bonuses that went unearned. In all likelyhood, because the Pats like to use NLTBE bonuses, their cap will probably be about 106-107 million when all is said and done.

Now, that would put them about 27 million under the cap with 40 players signed. They will have about 12 draft picks, their own free agents and other free agents to sign and they will need to leave about 3 million free for injury signings.

I learned this lesson from buying and selling electric guitars.

You pay what you think something is worth. I know it seems trite, but there's nothing dumber than someone telling you that you overpaid for a guitar. Um, it depends. If you paid more than you value it, then yeah you overpaid. But if you determined its price in advance in line with your finances and how much money you can devote to this sort of thing, then it's not overpaying.

Overpaying is when you get into a bidding war and extend yourself beyond what you thought something is worth. That's when you overpaid, when you go against your better judgement.

Underpaying is simple. That's when you get a bargain, and that's a good thing.

Overpaying has little to do with what other teams are paying, although that is a guide.

One aspect is value determined by how expensive/difficult it would be to replace them. DLinemen in our system are huge and quick and all #1 picks. Besides theQB, they have the most value and would be hardest to replace.

A really good cornerback is valuable, but we have gotten by with FAs, and a 4th round pick since Law left.

Obviously, we have a system to utilize good, not great CBs.

If we can replace Assante with a mid round draft pick or vet FA, his value is strictly how much we like him and how he fits in our system.

A team that has trouble grooming CBs, could value him much more than us.

I hope we can re-sign him for good, but reasonable (top ten CB) money. If not, Franchise and Trade. The Jest got a low #1 for Abraham last year in the same situation. There's no reason in my mind we could get less for Samuel given he's #2 in the NFL in INTs and making plenty of other plays too. But even if we just got a #2, we'd have two #1s, two #2s, some extra mid rounds for Givens, Vinatraitor, etc, and lots of money to sign a capable veteran CB.

Just like the Branch trade, this would probably be the best long term resolution although I would prefer to keep our player if we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back