Welcome to PatsFans.com

Overheard on "Morning Joe"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

We were getting ready for work this morning and the TV was turned to "Morning Joe."

The topic was, once again, "Should Obama have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize." Joe got all serious and said he didn't understand why they hadn't give it to the Iranians who took to the street to protest the election there.

Everyone solemnly agreed with him that it would have been a much better choice and they, too, did not understand how they didn't even rate a mention.

No one even thought to bring it up this time that one of the things they've been mentioning forever is the fact that Obama was nominated just a few days after his inaugration - and I know they know this because every other time they talk about the folly of Obama getting the Nobel they remind themselves and everyone else who's still listening that nominations were closed on February 1 and Obama didn't take office until January 21.

Funny no one on the show seemed to remember that the Iranian elections took place in June.

One more way the news is skewed and misconstrued.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

What's your point ? Their point is that he was nominated for doing nothing other than being elected based on the day he was nominated.
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well if the nomination deadline had been honored then there would be no protestors to nominate. Deadline notwithsanding I think they were just trying to contrast a comparatively more deserving candidate to Obama.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Possibly - but if they had to go outside the time frame to find someone comparatively more deserving it kind of points to Obama being the best choice available within the time constraints, doesn't it? Otherwise why not pick someone who DID fit within the allowed period and avoid looking like idiots on morning TV?
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

That makes a good case for not watching the news, I get all the news I need from the weather report...
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

They clearly were not considering the time constraints so I guess they look like idiots:p...though you make a point.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

How was obama "deserving" at all ? Trying to defend it is a total joke. It was a down payment on future services, guaranteed.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

I agree, why defend it as there is little that this country had to do with this...
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +233 / 8 / -13

There were many more worthy nominees, who didn't have the visibility the committee they are looking for, you can see them online and draw your own conclusions.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

I thought they could not reveal the nominees for 50 years:confused::confused:
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +377 / 3 / -15

I have much respect for people like you whose views aren't consistently right or left Darryl. Although we've disagreed on a few topics, we have a lot in common. I have liberal views regarding racism and corp America, but more conservative views on immigration and criminal prosecution. Like you, I make up my mind issue by issue without regard to the 2-party system.

I think this country needs more people who are able to have the courage to do that. It is impossible to say most of the "Right" answers come from democrats or republicans.
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't even think that type of group would be eligible. I know they can give the Nobel Peace Prize to organizations such as the Red Cross, but I don't see how it could be awarded to a certain group of protestors. I guess they would have to select one specific member of that group that does a good job representing the whole - but, as you said, nominations had already been closed for this selection.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

66 million voters won the nobel peace prize for electing a president NOT named Gerge W Bush.

conservative pundits can't seem to wrap their ditto-heads around than concept for some strange reason.
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +377 / 3 / -15

Since I voted for Obama, I'm a Nobel prize winner!!! In all honesty folks, this really is a victory for the voters of America. He couldn't have done it without us...as a matter of fact, he won it because of all those who voted for him

Now what's wrong with that? Personally, I'm damned proud! :cool:
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

here you have MOrining Joe saying that the voters of Iran should be awarded it, when they are ignoring the american people who did exactly what they are stating the Iranians should get it for.

anyway....its funny because honestly....who the fukc cares? lest talk about healthcare and getting our troops out of harms way, and the economy...

Oh...television....you wanna keep debating dumb $#!t that will not chgange a damn thing??? okay....
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +233 / 8 / -13

Frequently people who nominate others release the names enough names are known to allow bookies to take bet on the winner in Europe.

One worthy nominee is a doctor who opened a clinic in Zaire to treat rape victoms. There are also some pro democracy dissidents who have been persecuted by the communist government there.
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +660 / 2 / -9

When is the Prize Winner going to stop the wars and close Gitmo, the Dingobats went nuts over these wars when the Hated Bush was running the show now that they have their Poster Boy with the beautiful smile in the white house they are dead silent, Gitmo is still open and troops are still dying, WHERE'S THE CHANGE SH!T..............

Obama Is Bush

A WAR MONGER JUST WON A "PEACE PRIZE"........:singing:
  18. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,038 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I was reading where one guy said Obama should have rejected it ... to make himself look good. The old roll up your sleeves idea ... perhaps but it's too late for that.