PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overall LB situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm delighted about Thomas. Yet, if he remains outside, we now have four guys who are excellent to good at that position (Colvin, Thomas, Vrabel, Bruschi).

At IL, we now have two guys with experience who are out of position in terms of their size - Vrabel and Bruschi. None of the bench guys seem to be more than bench guys. So that remains a glaring problem.

We need a veteran and a high draft pick.

I'm delighted about Thomas. Yet, if he remains outside, we now have four guys who are excellent to good at that position (Colvin, Thomas, Vrabel, Bruschi).

At IL, we now have two guys with experience who are out of position in terms of their size - Vrabel and Bruschi. None of the bench guys seem to be more than bench guys. So that remains a glaring problem.

We need a veteran and a high draft pick.

Agreed 100%

Agreed 100%

While I think we could use more help at the position we have our four starters and They are all versatile and interchangeble this is a LB corp that will be the heart and soul of this de as the position has been in the past.

There's still a possibility Jr will come back, no??? That's a good 1st/2nd down guy in the middle.

There's still a possibility Jr will come back, no??? That's a good 1st/2nd down guy in the middle.

Jr was outstanding when he was healthy. People underestimate this loss. The minutes he consumed got distributed to TBC at Vrable and IMO taxed that D.

I am totally in favor of him coming back..

After we lost him against the Bears, in that game all of a sudden the Bears had success running the ball. Overall, I felt that other teams had a lot more success running after that injury (no stats to back that up).

I don't see him wanting to leave the game on those terms. He strikes me as the kind of guy that would want to leave the game on his own terms.

After we lost him against the Bears, in that game all of a sudden the Bears had success running the ball. Overall, I felt that other teams had a lot more success running after that injury (no stats to back that up).

I don't see him wanting to leave the game on those terms. He strikes me as the kind of guy that would want to leave the game on his own terms.

the rushing stats allowed went significantly up after he went out, ur right
i wouldnt mind getttin donnie edwards though
we def still need to draft linebackers early
even on the outside

I think the Pats FO is well aware of it's lack of depth at LB. As a starting unit, there probably is no better, but how often has this unit played an entire season? Not once!

Look for the pats to draft an ATHLETIC ILB anywhere from the 1st - 3rd round(s). As someone already mentioned, don't discount the potential re-signing of Seau. And also, the great play of Alexander in the AFCCG.

I like our depth and relative speed at OLB with Colvin and Thomas. I remember when we played SD in the playoffs, they ran LT outside to the left (Seymour and TBC). When they ran to the right (Warren and Colvin) they had little success. Whether Thomas moves Colvin to the other side is irrelevant, I think both will force outside rushing attacks inside where they will have to allude Wilfork, Vrabel and Bruschi!

I'd agree that bringing back Seau for another go is the next step. There are other ILBs that could be brought in on the cheap for added depth. I would feel fine seeing Warrick Holdman or Randall Godfrey in here as rotation guys.

I'd love to see Edwards. But I think today's events took a lot of cookies out of the jar, and we still have a few other issues (WR being the big one).

Bruschi doesn't have the speed to play outside anymore. He is ILB only, and assuming he returns (which I think is pretty safe), he'll hold down one of the spots. We'll probably keep Vrabel inside and have Colvin and Thomas on the outside. Adalius could come inside on some downs to move Vrabel outside if they though that was the best way to go in certain situations.

I am very concerned about the depth inside though. I definitely hope we take at least 1 LB the first day of the draft.

Its also possible that we could sign another ILB like Donnie Edwards. It will depend on his price tag, of course, but I'm thinking that with him being a bit older, a lot of teams might not want to throw significant money at him.

I think we are going to see Thomas and Vrabel switching it up between ILB and OLB. Why? Because that will help to confuse the defense. If they line up Thomas over the TE, they won't know if he's there to Rush or cover the TE. And that can free up Vrabel on the rush. Or Bruschi on the rush.

There are TONS of possibilities.

I am hoping the Pats pick up Bradely, DeOssie or BOTH.

I think we are going to see Thomas and Vrabel switching it up between ILB and OLB. Why? Because that will help to confuse the defense. If they line up Thomas over the TE, they won't know if he's there to Rush or cover the TE. And that can free up Vrabel on the rush. Or Bruschi on the rush.

There are TONS of possibilities.

I am hoping the Pats pick up Bradely, DeOssie or BOTH.

Gotta agree---------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back