Welcome to PatsFans.com

Outsourcing the Picket Line

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Now this is funny. Organized labor hiring unorganized homeless labor for a dollar above minimum wage. HA! What hypocrites.

Outsourcing the Picket Line

Carpenters Union Hires Homeless to Stage Protests

By Keith L. Alexander
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007; A01

The picketers marching in a circle in front of a downtown Washington office building chanting about low wages do not seem fully focused on their message.

Many have arrived with large suitcases or bags holding their belongings, which they keep in sight. Several are smoking cigarettes. One works a crossword puzzle. Another bangs a tambourine, while several drum on large white buckets. Some of the men walking the line call out to passing women, "Hey, baby." A few picketers gyrate and dance while chanting: "What do we want? Fair wages. When do we want them? Now."

Although their placards identify the picketers as being with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Council of Carpenters, they are not union members.

They're hired feet, or, as the union calls them, temporary workers, paid $8 an hour to picket. Many were recruited from homeless shelters or transitional houses. Several have recently been released from prison. Others are between jobs.

"It's about the cash," said Tina Shaw, 44, who lives in a House of Ruth women's shelter and has walked the line at various sites. "We're against low wages, but I'm here for the cash."

Carpenters locals across the country are outsourcing their picket lines, hiring the homeless, students, retirees and day laborers to get their message across. Larry Hujo, a spokesman for the Indiana-Kentucky Regional Council of Carpenters, calls it a "shift in the paradigm" of picketing.

Political groups also are tapping into local homeless shelters for temps.

One resident of the Community for Creative Non-Violence shelter earns $30 a day holding a sign outside a Metro stop protesting nuclear war. In 2004, residents of at least 10 shelters were paid to collect signatures on petitions in favor of legalized gambling. Residents call this type of work "lobbying."

The carpenters union is one of the most active picketers in the District, routinely staging as many as eight picket lines a day at buildings where construction or renovation work is being done without union labor.

Supporters of the practice consider it a creative tactic in an era of declining union membership and clout. But critics say the reliance on nonunion members -- who are paid $1 above minimum wage and receive no benefits -- diminishes the impact and undercuts a principle established over decades of union struggles.

"If I was a member of the general public, and I asked someone picketing why they were there, and they said they don't work for the union and they were just hired to stand there, that wouldn't create a very positive impression on me, nor would it create a very sympathetic position," said Wayne Ranick, spokesman for the United Steelworkers of America.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/23/AR2007072302011_pf.html
  2. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

John Boardman, executive secretary treasurer of UNITE HERE local 25 in Washington, said the issue of who the picketers are is less important than why they're there. "Let's focus on the message -- that there are people in this building that are working for substandard wages and benefits," he said.

HAHAHAHA! So otherwise, forget that one of our "principles" is fair wages when we hire homeless people for $30 a day, but remember them when there are carpenters working out there for $20-25 an hour but aren't paying us dues. :rolleyes:
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This can't be..!! Why aren't they paying "a living wage"...?!? The Plumbers' Union picketed Tom Brady because he only paid his plumbers a measley $30/hour instead of the "living wage" of $60/hour.

Just more evidence that unions are a bunch of scumbag lowlife hypocrites (as if we needed any more evidence of that). 100 years ago their's was a noble purpose. Today they are 100% greedy bastards that just want to steal as much money from everyone as they possibly can.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

This is bullsh-t! The unions have more than outlived their usefulness to society. I believe in the right to strike, but this is unbelievable. How can anyone take local 25 seriously ever again? What a bunch of scumbags! Some of my family and best friends are union and I think they'd agree, but they'd sure as hell stay in the union as long as they can pull $116/hr on Sundays and holidays. But using homeless guys to look like members is ....embarrassing!
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

the only evidence here is that Transfat here increasingly comes across as an angry, priviledged idiot who's likely never struggled in his life, financially...
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

I have been a member of the Teamsters Union since 1946, I AM ASHAMED OF THIS CARPENTERS UNION.

THAT IS DISGUSTING, the Teamsters that I worked with would have gone homeless themselves before letting people like that become associated with them.

Those Carpenters should hang their heads in shame.
    :bricks:
  7. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Is anyone else here shocked that Harry is a Teamster? (No offense to you at all Harry)
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

To judge anything on the basis of anecdotal evidence is not a very intelligent thing to do,I'm a lifelong union member, this is a mistake pure and simple and I will defend unions until I die.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

No offense taken, I have raised a large family, always made good money, have owned my own homes since 1957, great vacation benefit's, good pension plan, great health coverage, seniority security, no responsibility to worry about at night, spent 42 years riding around New England free as a bird, my bosses did all the worrying.
    I retired 20 years ago and the pension checks still roll in every month, the Teamsters Union has always had it's problems but if you think they were bad taKe a look at what's running our country, take a look at all of those Creepy Bastards in the senate and the congress, look at Uncle Teddy :bricks:

Those Carpenters that allow those Winos and Junkies do their picket work for them deserve to have everything taken away from them, it is disgusting.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

No offense, but that is the typical response of most members. No objectivity, and can't call a spade a spade. It's no different than the people who can't bash their political party, favorite sports franchise, or see any of their criminal friends in a bad light.

I've made my opinion regarding unions known many a time in here. I think they are a noble intention and creation gone awry. They are no different than thecoporations that most people despise, yet, most people refuse to hold them to the same standards. It's a great gig if you can get it.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

I still don't Understand it, hiring bums to walk your picket line, I don't understand it, what do the Union Members think of this, I don't understand it :confused:
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thank you for demonstrating the entire problem with modern day unions. Their members are nothing but mind numbed robots who proudly proclaim their life long fidelity to their union masters, no matter how egregious of an offense union leadership commits.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Exactly. The union can do no wrong, nor can any of it's members. What's funny is in '97 the Carpenters picketed a project I was working on, and a couple of the contractors we had working on it were union. They had to stop working because it was the rule that one union doesn't work when another pickets, or some crap like that. Here, in the article in question, these frauds hired the homeless for $30 a day to picket for them.
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

Greedy Ruthless Management created the need for unions years ago to protect the working man from the whip snapping sadistic "Massah's"

The very management that despises Unions have their forefathers to thank for the Unions, without unions a$s holes like me would have been treated like "The Mans" dog.

As Jackie Onassis said "there's them and there's us"

I do admit though that todays Union has much to be desired, one of my big gripes is they are always telling me to vote for these left wing looney democrats.

I sat at a Teamster Union meeting in Boston years ago right after Uncle Teddy pushed his deregulation
    sh!t through, he visited our Union hall on a Sunday morning, many of us had just lost our jobs when some of the bigger Trucking Co's closed due to deregulation, Uncle Teddy walked out onto the stage and these f-cking saps I worked with gave him a standing ovation, he just put them out of work, they had to start all over again building their senioity and they were cheering the bastard that put them out of work but of course this is Boston, the Kennedy's are GODS.

I had a good life in the Teamsters, no worry's plenty of security good pension, you all must know a boss somewhere that thinks his sh!t is ice cream, he is the king of the hill, well I was always able to tell them to go pound sand up their a$s when they started with their little "I'm the boss sh!t" we used to laugh at them (I made more money than them too)
    Now I dig Clams.
    :bricks:
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I suppose this outsourcing approach is a business decision. If it gets results, why not? but now that word is out, I think the union will return to traditional methods of picketing.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

BINGO! Again, thanks for making my point. It's "ok" for the union to make a business decision and hire someone for less to do the job, and save some money, but it's eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil for some corporation, or business owner to do the same. Total hypocrites. The free market works for them, when it suits them.
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

What both sides do is okay. Our system works best when organized labor and management butt heads. 9 out of 10 times they work out a compromise, and the rest of the time they fight each other until they are ready to work out a compromise. The union represents its members. That's it's job. Budweiser doesn't worry about the shareholders of Heinekin and the carpenter's union doesn't worry about its nonmembers. Unions, like corporations, are not churches or charities. They have a job to do.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

:rofl:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........
  19. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Remember that time you absolutely humiliated yourself when we were bashing American made cars and you were all "Well, Japanese companies are making cars in America now and those don't have any problems" and you had to be informed that Japanese auto manufacturers in America hire non-union labor..?

You're doing the same thing here.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Everyone has a personal tug toward something, which I think we all understand. What really gets me is when people blindly support something, even to the point of embarassment, all because they just can't bare to call a spade a spade.