PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outside the box.....Watson as OLB??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Now I understand the purists, but if Troy Brown can play DB why not try one of our best athlete's at our weakest position now that he has lost his starting job? We all remember him running down Champ Bailey, he has the size and speed we look for at that position. I am not saying start him, but how many Pierre Woods/Bunta-Cains are we going to march out before trying him out?? His days of being a starting TE might be done, why not increase his playing time? OK, he should try ST first, just an interesting idea.

I'll give you a C for creativity

Watson can't stay on the field as a TE. How is he going to hold up as an OLB?

Watson can't stay on the field as a TE. How is he going to hold up as an OLB?

I think there is a difference taking vs recieving the blows. Again, just having some fun here,lol.

i wish the pats design something for watson where he has to run across the field and chase someone down .thats is his best playmaking ability.

Id be happy with watson on the sidelines getting the starters drinks.
I like Watson as a TE, he's FAR from great, his hands are average at best but he's still a top athlete for the position with decent hands and an overall solid player; although not as good as he should be.

As long as he could get a clause in his contract saying he wouldn't have to tackle anybody, I'm sure he'd go for it.

Seriously, a 180 lb cornerback easily battled the ball away from him in the end zone. He'd make Monty Beisel look like Butkus.

I'm not down on him either, he's talented and is probably an above average tight end. Physicality is not one of his strong points, though. Probably fits the "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" tag as much as anyone does.

Last edited:
Now I understand the purists, but if Troy Brown can play DB why not try one of our best athlete's at our weakest position now that he has lost his starting job? We all remember him running down Champ Bailey, he has the size and speed we look for at that position. I am not saying start him, but how many Pierre Woods/Bunta-Cains are we going to march out before trying him out?? His days of being a starting TE might be done, why not increase his playing time? OK, he should try ST first, just an interesting idea.

This idea has no merit, imo. It's not nearly as simple as you're making it. I sort of think it's an insult to boxes.

This is saying lets turn any 6-6 300 pound offensive tackle into a 3-4 defensive end because they have ideal size and strength. It just doesn't work that way.

Creative thinking, I guess.

This thread sounds pretty ridiculous now, eh?

Funny how quickly attitudes can change about a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes