PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outside of Belichick, who do you think is the best head coach in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fixed it for ya.

I like Mike Smith but he has to win a playoff game before I give him credit. Same with Rex Ryan, he had a good year last year and his team is going well again but lets see how it plays out this year.

Last edited:
Andy Reid has no place within the top half of all the coaches in the league. He is terrible and has the worst clock management skills in the history of the NFL.

And I keep saying that he is most underestimated coach in the league.

Andy Reid -yes he has clock management issues but tell me one team in the NFC which has been as consistent in the last 10 yrs as the eagles with all the issues they always seem to have. He makes bold decisions just like BB ,does what is best for the team and not sway to popular opinion,builds a program, and his team is always there at the end. FWIW , once brady was asked by the WEEI(or some other radio interview) once which other team reminds him of the pats, he said the eagles because of their coach and how he runs the show.
Sean payton
Shanahan
Mike Mcarthy

Tomlin & Payton are the two guys I'd want.
And in ~5 years (after BB retires), I wouldn't mind giving Mcdaniel's a shot

I really don't get the love for Shanahan. He's only won one playoff game in the past dozen years.

BB
Tomlin
Reid
Coughlin

1 Peyton
2 Harbaugh
3 Belichick
4 Coughlin
4 Tomlin
6 Ryan

Coughlin, Payton & Tomlin, in that order after BB.

1 Peyton
2 Harbaugh
3 Belichick
4 Coughlin
4 Tomlin
6 Ryan

How is Payton above Bill? Payton's team is having a massive Super Bowl hangover right now...

And Harbaugh? He is young, unproven, and has 0 rings. Im confused on your rankings:confused:

Andy Reid -yes he has clock management issues but tell me one team in the NFC which has been as consistent in the last 10 yrs as the eagles with all the issues they always seem to have. He makes bold decisions just like BB ,does what is best for the team and not sway to popular opinion,builds a program, and his team is always there at the end. FWIW , once brady was asked by the WEEI(or some other radio interview) once which other team reminds him of the pats, he said the eagles because of their coach and how he runs the show.
Sean payton
Shanahan
Mike Mcarthy

The last good decision Andy Reid made died in 2009. RIP JJ. He has mangled his offense which was supposed to be his strong suit, makes desperation moves, can't manage a clock or the game to save his soul. And that's in the NFC to boot... Without his long time DC he's toast.

Belichick is a sustainable builder. None of them come close to his skillset as a GM, HC, DC and defacto OC. Cowher comes closest, Payton rebuilt a zoo but has yet to prove he can sustain it. Smith hasn't won yet but he turned that franchise around (although without Dimetroff who knows).

I have no use for Shanny (egomaniac who rode the coatails of success into the ground and can't pick a functional QB to save his soul), Chucky (walked into a winner then fell flat on his ass and the arrogance and ADHD personality wears thin in a hurry, Tomlin (inherited Cowher's team - another enabler I doubt could build from scratch - he's not even running his own schemes...), Dungy the milktoast (would never have won had he not inherited Manning and Polian's infrasctucture), can't stand Fisher (whiny, sleezy political suck up and enabler). Coughlin is a dinosaur whose players periodically rise up and win almost in spite of him... Fox used to be everyone's binky though for the life of me... The jury's out on Harbaugh until Ray moves on.

Give me a sustainable builder. Hopefully Bill will grow us his replacement in that vein. That's what Cowher was, and he was humble enough to learn a little something from getting beat... Payton rebuilt the Saints and was smart enough to sub out his defense well. Remains to be seen if he can sustain it.

Maybe after several more doses of humble pie Eric or Josh will be ready for the role. After all it took Bill 5 years past Cleveland to approach true genius HC status.

Last edited:
can someone explain why jeff fisher always finds his way onto the list. He is the longest tenured coach in the league yet he's been to one SB and lost it. I don't remember Tenn. making it to an other AFCCG either. I've got news for you - if you coach for 16 years and make it to one Super Bowl, you are by definition average. In fact every 16 years, you should make it to 2 AFCCG if you are truly average. He also has a 5-6 post season record - not that impressive to have 1 post season win every 3 seasons.

Last edited:
The Steelers and the Rooneys have NEVER made a bad mistake in picking out a head coach in thier history....Its almost unbelievable that there are only 3 Steelers head coaches over the past 30 years+.

Because of that I think Tomlin is the 2nd behind Belichick and Shanahan is third

I know it says head coach but if I could pick any coach other than BB I'd pick **** Lebeau.

I know it says head coach but if I could pick any coach other than BB I'd pick **** Lebeau.

Obviously he isn't interested in being a HC. And that's the thing about Tomlin that bothers me, he inherited schemes and a system and to some extent staff. He was actually a Tampa 2 coach... So essentially he's just overseeing a machine that wasn't built on his watch.

tomlin comes to my mind suprisingly fast as well

1. BB
and then its one of shanahan, mcarthy(GB), payton, tomlin, reid, atlanta's hc, coughlin, haley, kubiak

those 9 are all pretty even if u ask me, and i would take one of them
Haley?
Kubiak?
Smith?
McCarthy?
Really?
Do they have a playoff win among them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes