PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outside Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have an inkling what's really going on here? we know Belichick wouldn't tell you if you're pants were on fire.

Seems like he could have worked out some excuse if he wasn't quite ready for all of training camp, that would be nothing new.

This is the electronic age, are there no bloggers in Mississippi? Who did he tell he was thinking of retiring? Any follow up?

EDIT: sorry, I guess i should have posted this in the other thread.

Another thought though. I don't think this would have affected Crable. He cut him because he wasn't worth having around.

Last edited:
Andy Hart of PFW takes a long look at the Outside Linebackers - prior to Crable being cut and Burgess not reporting to camp.

PFW -- From the Hart: Role Call - OLB

But who will join Banta-Cain with regular playing time and have a potential positive impact on the scheme? A big part of the possible answer comes in the form of unproven young players. Cunningham is one of this year’s second-round picks and would seem to have all the tools needed on the edge to be a well-rounded outside linebacker. ... Ninkovich has a lot of physical similarities with Mike Vrabel and a similar background. But that doesn’t mean he can develop into an All-Pro. And while Woods started five games last fall, he’s notched only one career sack and at best seems like an option against the run. Or he may be a very good special teams contributor miscast in extended defensive action.

Here are the summaries:
Andy Hart said:
Though I’m a very big TBC fan, I wonder if he can be a consistent double-digit sack guy and if he can hold up as an every down player for a full season. We’ll see, because I think he’s a lock for one of the starting jobs. While I think it’s a huge risk to expect a rookie to fill the role, I could see Cunningham landing the other starting spot early on. I’m just not sold on how valuable and productive Burgess is or can be. I think we may have seen the last of Crable in a Patriots uniform, which is funny since we never really saw him in a Patriots uniform. My heart is with Ninkovich, but I’m not sure he has all the Vrabel-like tools needed to be anything more than a backup or rotational guy. For me it’s Banta-Cain and Cunningham or bust in 2010!
Erik Scalavino said:
Last year’s regular duo of Banta-Cain and Burgess will retain their jobs, by default, at least in the beginning. However, it’s entirely possible that one of the younger players - Crable, Cunningham? - will emerge to overtake one or the other (more likely Burgess). Regardless, with the lack of consistent playmakers at this position, we’ll most likely see a rotational, situational substitution arrangement, with the likes of Rob Ninkovich and Pierre Woods contributing as well. Much like the team’s running back situation, I expect a committee approach to play itself out at outside linebacker in 2010.

Even without Crable and (possibly) Burgess, this guy's chances of sticking are still very slim.

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 1)

73. Linebacker Dane Fletcher: This was a tough one. Fletcher, who is sort of a defensive end/linebacker hybrid, made some great plays in spring practices, including a pass breakup on a ball intended for tight end Aaron Hernandez in a 7-on-7 session. And there’s a lot to like about the level of intensity he brings to the field. But because the Patriots drafted so many players (12) it will make it very tough for any rookie free agent like Fletcher to stick. At the same time, Fletchers’ approach was a good one — if New England is able to sneak him through, the 6-foot-2, 244-pounder has a chance to be a practice squad success story.

Here's another OLB on the outside looking in:

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 2)

61. Outside linebacker Marques Murrell: An intriguing signing on a couple of levels — a former Jet, his brother (running back Adrian Murrell) played in the league for many years — his special teams skills are his strong suit: “In the NFL, you always have to look at yourself as a special teamer first,” he said this spring. “Special teams can change the game instantly as a deep bomb by [Tom] Brady or an interception by [Brandon] Meriweather and taking it to the house. I definitely look at myself as special teams first, then a defensive player.”

If Burgess indeed is retiring, why don't the Pats make a push to sign Greg Ellis, who is old, but can at least still be competitive for a year. He's played in a 34 for a while. Worst case, he doesn't catch on and the Pats cut him during final cuts. At least he'll bring in some more competition during camp.

If Burgess indeed is retiring, why don't the Pats make a push to sign Greg Ellis, who is old, but can at least still be competitive for a year. He's played in a 34 for a while. Worst case, he doesn't catch on and the Pats cut him during final cuts. At least he'll bring in some more competition during camp.

I agree, I think it makes a lot more sense to sign Ellis and have a full month to evaluate him, than to either (a) simply go with what the team has now, or (b) pick up somebody who is cut by another team during the final roster cuts. In addition there is room for one more player without having to cut anybody else since Patten has retired.

I'd rather plug in a developing player then bring in ellis.
Or trade for a outside linebacker or keep my eyes on the waiver wire.

I agree, I think it makes a lot more sense to sign Ellis and have a full month to evaluate him, than to either (a) simply go with what the team has now, or (b) pick up somebody who is cut by another team during the final roster cuts. In addition there is room for one more player without having to cut anybody else since Patten has retired.

Check out Ellis's WIKI page, I've read shorter novels.

Not sure if it's a puton, but this is the finale.

Despite wearing uniform number 98 with the Cowboys, Ellis wore number 99 in Oakland because his favorite song as a child was 99 Luftballons by Nena.

He was released on March 8, 2010.

Check out Ellis's WIKI page, I've read shorter novels.

Not sure if it's a puton, but this is the finale.

He was released on March 8, 2010.

A good song if you are into 80's genre.....

Free-agent OLB options on market - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Greg Ellis, 34: He started 14 games for the Raiders last season, recording seven sacks as a defensive end in their 4-3 scheme. Prior to his time in Oakland, Ellis played the first 11 seasons of his career in Dallas, the last handful of them coming as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He has 84 career sacks but will turn 35 in mid-August and was passed over by the Patriots in the offseason in favor of Burgess.

Chike Okeafor, 34: He has spent the last four seasons in Arizona as a key member of the Cardinals' pass rush in their hybrid 3-4/4-3 system. In four years, Okeafor started no fewer than 13 games and recorded at least 4.5 sacks per season.

Ryan Denney, 33: He was a durable performer in Buffalo, appearing in all 16 games in six seasons and reaching a career-high of six sacks in 2006. In the Bills’ 4-3 system, Denney played defensive end, but at 6-foot-7 and 264 pounds, he has the length to play outside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 system.

Eric Henderson, 27: He was a member of the Bengals for three seasons, spending his last year in Cincinnati on injured reserve. Has played 4-3 defensive end his entire career, but at 6-foot-2 and 256 pounds, Henderson has the size to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 system.

Craig Kobel, 28: The South Florida product has a varied football history, seeing time in the AFL and AAFL between stints with the Buccaneers, Eagles and most recently the Jets, with whom he played last preseason as a 3-4 outside linebacker. At 6-foot-2 and 265 pounds, Kobel has the size to play the position for the Patriots. He is currently under contract with the UFL’s Hartford Colonials.

OLB Jermaine Cunningham in focus by Mike Reiss for espnBoston.

The Patriots have been liberally rotating their top four outside linebackers through the first five practices, and today, Cunningham worked quite a bit opposite Tully Banta-Cain with many of last year's starters. Here were a few things I saw:

1. Cunningham trying to speed rush around left tackle Matt Light and right tackle Sebastian Vollmer and, despite showing quickness at the snap, getting pushed out of the play.

2. Cunningham dropping off the line of scrimmage in coverage, following tight end Alge Crumpler, and looking fluid and quick in doing so. Another time, he dropped and found himself all the way on the sideline.

3. Cunningham lining up across from tight end Rob Gronkowski on the defensive left side, and Gronkowski getting his hands into him as Cunningham tried to hold his ground setting the edge, but was pushed back.

This is a big transition for Cunningham, who primarily played defensive end in the 4-3 alignment in college at Florida. One of the big challenges in making that transition is adjusting to dropping into coverage, and Cunningham's athleticism showed in this practice. He looks quicker and more smooth in that area than five-year veteran Pierre Woods.

Some camp observations from NESN's Jeff Howe.

Patriots Use Multiple Looks, Shuffling Rotations for Defensive Line, Linebackers - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Rookie Gets a Shot
Outside linebacker Jermaine Cunningham earned his most reps with the starters during the second session. The Patriots had been using a lot of Rob Ninkovich in the first two days of camp, but Saturday was Cunningham's day to play opposite of projected starter Tully Banta-Cain.

This might have been the coaching staff's response to something they've liked out of Cunningham, or maybe they're just looking to see what he could add to the starting unit. The Patriots used different linebacker combinations on the inside, too, but Jerod Mayo and Gary Guyton are the clear starters there. Brandon Spikes and Tyrone McKenzie have played well together on the inside, but the coaching staff got more of a look out of Thomas Williams and Dane Fletcher on Saturday.

Free-agent OLB options on market - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Greg Ellis, 34: He started 14 games for the Raiders last season, recording seven sacks as a defensive end in their 4-3 scheme. Prior to his time in Oakland, Ellis played the first 11 seasons of his career in Dallas, the last handful of them coming as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He has 84 career sacks but will turn 35 in mid-August and was passed over by the Patriots in the offseason in favor of Burgess.

Chike Okeafor, 34: He has spent the last four seasons in Arizona as a key member of the Cardinals' pass rush in their hybrid 3-4/4-3 system. In four years, Okeafor started no fewer than 13 games and recorded at least 4.5 sacks per season.

Ryan Denney, 33: He was a durable performer in Buffalo, appearing in all 16 games in six seasons and reaching a career-high of six sacks in 2006. In the Bills’ 4-3 system, Denney played defensive end, but at 6-foot-7 and 264 pounds, he has the length to play outside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 system.

Eric Henderson, 27: He was a member of the Bengals for three seasons, spending his last year in Cincinnati on injured reserve. Has played 4-3 defensive end his entire career, but at 6-foot-2 and 256 pounds, Henderson has the size to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 system.

Craig Kobel, 28: The South Florida product has a varied football history, seeing time in the AFL and AAFL between stints with the Buccaneers, Eagles and most recently the Jets, with whom he played last preseason as a 3-4 outside linebacker. At 6-foot-2 and 265 pounds, Kobel has the size to play the position for the Patriots. He is currently under contract with the UFL’s Hartford Colonials.
In other words, nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce Allen of Patriots Daily looks at each of the OLBs, with an edit for one that is now crossed off.

Positional Previews – Outside Linebackers | Patriots Daily

By Bruce Allen, Patriots Daily Staff.

I’ve been pretty optimistic in the last three previews about the level of young talent on the defense. Now we come to the outside linebacker position, which at this point appears to be the weak link on the defense side of things. Much has been made about the Patriots lack of a pass rush, and at first glance, it doesn’t seem like much was done to address this need in the offseason. With Dean Pees out and Bill Belichick taking a more active role in coaching the defense, perhaps there will be strategic changes that will result in improved production from this group, but in terms of talent, it might be more if a case of addition by subtraction, with bad apple Adalius Thomas having been sent packing.
Summary
At this point, this is one of the weakest areas on the team, and without much depth to speak of. Beyond Banta-Cain and Burgess, the Patriots are going to need a big rookie year from Cunningham, and hope that Crable can get on the field and live up to the promise he had coming out of Michigan two years ago. That might be a tall order. The Patriots have done a good job building up depth and experience at all other defensive positions, but this remains an area in desperate need of upgrade. Hopefully Cunningham can step in, but that’s a tall order for a rookie. Don’t be surprised to see the Patriots bringing guys in that have been cut by other teams over the course of training camp, hoping to find.

In other words, nothing.

Yep, pretty much stuck with what we got, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'll be good to get some of these young guys some on the job training.

Yep, pretty much stuck with what we got, which isn't necessarily a bad thing...

But it is indeed a bad thing; a very, very, very bad thing.

You almost couldn't produce this bad a collection of 3-4 OLBs if you tried.

But it is indeed a bad thing; a very, very, very bad thing.

You almost couldn't produce this bad a collection of 3-4 OLBs if you tried.

Would be really nice to have Burgess out there--he showed flashes of being an impact player down the stretch last year.

But it sounds like he doesn't have much fire left, which is pretty pathetic considering that he didn't seem to have much to begin with.

This would be the second year in a row that one of the OLBs we were really relying on simply disappeared on us, but I would rather have no Burgess than a half-motivated one.

Would be really nice to have Burgess out there--he showed flashes of being an impact player down the stretch last year.

But it sounds like he doesn't have much fire left, which is pretty pathetic considering that he didn't seem to have much to begin with.

This would be the second year in a row that one of the OLBs we were really relying on simply disappeared on us, but I would rather have no Burgess than a half-motivated one.

Some players, especially vets, are going to become more concussion aware. We'll likely start seeing players retiring earlier and earlier as time passes. I'm not saying that this is Burgess' reason, bit it's got to be playing in his head.

here is my guess on who will start

Gary Guyton, and Jerod Mayo, at ILB Brandon Spikes, will take junior seau, spot and Tyrone McKenzie, will be the #4 ILB

at OLB Tully Banta-Cain, and Rob Ninkovich, in the base 3-4 and Jermaine Cunningham, will take burgess, spot as the nickel DE.

the pats and BB are going to have to get creative if they wanna get to the QB more inside blitzs from Guyton and Patrick Chung, bring Devin McCourty, on a CB blitz play a lil zone some 1 gap

if they try to play defense the way they played last year. not hideing there blizts and all the OLB just bull rushing the pass rush will be even worst then last year.

Some brief camp observations from PFW

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive From the Hart: Practice 8 observations

Jermaine Cunningham got a lot of one-on-one discussion time with Bill Belichick during pre-practice warm-ups.

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive From the Hart: Practice 7 observations

Jermaine Cunningham has been getting more reps opposite Tully Banta-Cain.

=====

Ian also takes a look at how Burgess Indecision Leaves Patriots In A Tough Spot

Unfortunately with the expanded roster every team has during training camp, free agents are slim at this point, making it very difficult to bring in a replacement until teams start cutting players

=====

Also, in case anybody missed it, the Pats worked out former Bears DE Adewale Ogunleye, looking to bolster the OLB position. Last year he had 38 tackles, 25 solo, 6.5 sacks and a forced fumble. He finished the seaon on IR after fracturing his lower leg in late December.

Patriots Work Out DE Ogunleye : Ian's New England Patriots Blog

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../10/355822-patriots-work-out-de-ogunleye.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing