PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outrage vs. the Colts...Where is it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
your ability to miss the point is stunning. of course the 1st string Colts could have beaten the Titans today. the LARGER point is that Cleveland had 15 other chances to get 1 extra win against a far inferior schedule, and failed. to say the Browns didn't get in b/c of this game completely ignores that fact that in weeks 1-15 the Titans were a better team, and they may have even faced a harder week 16 opponent! you are completely ignoring strength of schedule

if you want to talk about injustices, than talk about the unbalanced schedule.

I'm not missing any point, I simply reject it because it's so obviously wrong. The LARGER point is that Cleveland won 10 games against team that put up a fight and Tennessee won 1 fewer than that.

Have you watched the interviews with the Browns? They well understand why they are not in. They do NOT blame to colts. They blame themselves for losing to OAKLAND. Their coach told them at the time that this loss might come back to bite them. And of course, last week they needed to win and get in. They didn't take care of business.

I don't like the Titans. However, I think that they are a much better team right now than the Browns. No one is afraid of the Brown's defense.

I'm not missing any point, I simply reject it because it's so obviously wrong. The LARGER point is that Cleveland won 10 games against team that put up a fight and Tennessee won 1 fewer than that.

Cleveland won 9 games against one of the easiest schedules in the league, then beat a horrendous SF team.

Tenn won 9 games against a much harder schedule, then against the 2nd team team in the NFL who rested starters for much of the game.

do you really think SF was a much harder opponent than the Colts this week? I don't. I mean, the Colts, even while resting starters, played a very close game with the Titans, who were fighting for their lives.

you are bringing up that the Colts "didn't try their hardest" this week, while ignoring:

a) the Colts were still tougher than the 49ers this week
b) the Titans had a much harder road to travel

if anyone should be *****ing here, it's the Titans

The Browns should have beaten the Raiders or the Cardinals or the Bengals. Turning any one of those games into a win against relatively weak opponents would have put them in the playoffs.

The Colts did what they thought was right. They've done this before, and it has had mixed results. We shall see . . .

Have you watched the interviews with the Browns? They well understand why they are not in. They do NOT blame to colts. They blame themselves for losing to OAKLAND. Their coach told them at the time that this loss might come back to bite them. And of course, last week they needed to win and get in. They didn't take care of business.

I don't like the Titans. However, I think that they are a much better team right now than the Browns. No one is afraid of the Brown's defense.

I have no problem with the Titans getting in. I have a problem with people using illogic and acting as if it's the Rosetta stone of playoff seeding. Any non-unbeaten team has, by definition, left wins on the table that could have improved their record if they'd only won. Just take a look at the losses:

Cleveland lost to:
Patriots
Steelers
Steelers
Bengals
Raiders
Cardinals

Tennessee lost to:
Colts
Buccaneers
Jaguars
Broncos
Bengals
Chargers

Neither team went without losing to teams they should have beaten. The difference is that the Colts didn't show up to play. Now, that's their right, but it's also the likely reason that the Titans are in the playoffs and not the Browns, because the Titans did not play well tonight.

Last edited:
Neither team went without losing to teams they should have beaten. The difference is that the Colts didn't show up to play. Now, that's their right, but it's also the likely reason that the Titans are in the playoffs and not the Browns .

I would say the reason is that Cleveland lost 3 games to non playoff teams, while Tenn only lost to 2. if Cleveland plays as well vs bad opponents, they get in the playoffs, regardless of the Colts sitting guys today.

but hey, if you want to keep ignoring that, thats your right.

Last edited:
I would say the reason is that Cleveland lost 3 games to non playoff teams, while Tenn only lost to 2. if Cleveland plays as well vs bad opponents, they get in the playoffs, regardless of the Colts sitting guys today.

but hey, if you want to keep ignoring that, thats your right.

I would say that 10>9 and that had Indianapolis actually played Tennessee would have probably only had 9 to Cleveland's 10.

But, hey, if you want to argue against basic math, that's your right.

I think the Colts wanted Tennesse to go whip up on San Diego a bit. I think the Titans are a smash mouth team, and will give San Diego a much more physical game than the Browns would. Didn't BB "tank" a game versus Miami, just to get Jax in the playoffs??

I would say that 10>9 and that had Indianapolis actually played Tennessee would have probably only had 9 to Cleveland's 10.

But, hey, if you want to argue against basic math, that's your right.

ok, great job harping on week 17 and completely ignoring weeks 1-16. good luck with that type of analysis in the future. see ya

ok, great job harping on week 17 and completely ignoring weeks 1-16. good luck with that type of analysis in the future. see ya

Ummm.... you are harping on weeks 1-16 and ignoring week 17. Sauce for the goose, chief, except I'm not ignoring weeks 1-16, but am simply pointing out that Cleveland did enough in weeks 1-16 to make the playoffs had the Colts won in week 17.

Last edited:
In a game, with playoff implications for the Browns, where is the outrage against the Colts for treating this game as if it is meaningless??

Everyone was all ready to pounce on the Giants had they rested their players against us.....why not a word about the chicken Colts??

Where is King and Collingsworth and all the other mediots on this issue??

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, they owe it to the Browns, both teams fans and the NFL in general.

Talk about classless?? Come on Polian & Dungy.......

The Colts earned the right to rest, we owed Cleveland nothing, there situation was not our problem. Im sure if the Pats were 14-1 the other night playing the Giants and had everything wrapped up they wouldn't have played there starters very much either. I give props to the Pats for going for and getting the undefeated record though.

Once upon a time baseball, NFL, and basketball commissioners would sternly warn any team playing in PLAYOFF implication games that for the integrity of the sport that they must play to win (ie use their starters until game was decided).
So much for the integrity of the game - unless there is a camera involved

This way when Bob Costas is apologizing about he Colts losses he could add "of course they didn't play their first stringers the whole game" along with "If not for an inconceivable miss by Adam Vinatieri" and "should have beaten the Patriots except for ten minutes" The Indianapolis Colts would be the ones basking in the "Glow of Perfection". Followed by the mumbled "Mother #$@%^% Patriots.
Costas is a *****...FAILED Journalism 101 when he interviewed Goodell and FAILED to ask about the leaked tape..I lost all respect for him at that point..he is a fraud..that simple..THAT WAS the question to ask and ANY first year journalism student would be scolded for NOT asking it..lil man Costas did not,,truly showed what he is...

In a game, with playoff implications for the Browns, where is the outrage against the Colts for treating this game as if it is meaningless??

Everyone was all ready to pounce on the Giants had they rested their players against us.....why not a word about the chicken Colts??

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, they owe it to the Browns, both teams fans and the NFL in general.

It is pretty simple, you win enough games throughout the year, you earn the right to sit guys who are dinged up. It is part of the spoils of winning.

You have to be a crack head.

The circumstances of that game were *totally* different from the Giants game. Or didn't you notice?

Dungy made the correct decision for his own team, and the NFL and the Browns can go stick it if they think a coach has to risk players to suit some other team. That is LUDICROUS.

Didn't you get the memo - it would've only been a classless move had BB been the coach. I mean, come on, the media double standard is a joke. Just imagine if BB had spoken at an organization with anti-gay rights ties. Dungy does it, and it's ok, because he's Saint Dungy.

You don't owe anything to a team other than your own in the NFL. For 16 weeks, a team has the ability to control it's own fate. If you are resting your hopes on someone else, too bad.

I agree it's the Colts right to sit there players but seriously why would you do that when you have a bye week next week. I would have been upset if the pats did go 15-1 and rested there starters that long before a bye week. The Colts just don't care about the intergry of the game if they played next week that is fine but they have a bye week that is plenty of rest time show up and play the game like a man.

This is a tale of my two most hated teams.

The Giants have always been #1 since I was a kid. The Colts have been 1b for a while. I did gain more respect for the Colts this year until last night. They took a dive on national TV. They took a dive when they had a bye to rest.

The Giants played the game even though they had nothing to gain and have a playoff game to play nest week.

Respect factor: Giants + (I feel dirty) - Colts - took a dive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back