Welcome to PatsFans.com

Outcry after French court rules on virginity

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 7 / -2

Interesting. Read the entire article before commenting.

Outcry after French court rules on virginity

By ELAINE GANLEY, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 20 minutes ago

PARIS - The bride said she was a virgin. When her new husband discovered that was a lie, he went to court to annul the marriage — and a French judge agreed.

The ruling ending the Muslim couple's union has stunned France and raised concerns the country's much-cherished secular values are losing ground to religious traditions from its fast-growing immigrant communities.

The decision also exposed the silent shame borne by some Muslim women who transgress long-held religious dictates demanding proof of virginity on the wedding night.

In its ruling, the court concluded the woman had misrepresented herself as a virgin and that, in this particular marriage, virginity was a prerequisite.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_on_re_eu/france_virgin_marriage

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Muslims,they're not all bad, it's those damn white mormons that are ruining the world.

Muslims treat their women worse than the Kennedys do.

GOD WILLING WE WILL KILL EVERY DIRTY AMERICAN
    PRAISE ALLAH
    PRAISE UNCLE JEREMIAH

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

This is a pretty idiotic ruling, and do not understand its legal basis.. did the French all of a sudden adopt sharia law.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 7 / -2

I found the article interesting because of the fact that some view this as religious, while the court viewed it as a breech of contract. When I saw the headline, I thought it was a religious ruling, but when I actually read the article, I saw it actually wasn't. It's an interesting case none the less.

5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What I want to know is how it was proven. Considering that the hymen can be ruptured by any number of activities, that's not reliable. And what if she'd been molested, say?

I understand the breach of contract part, what I don't get is the issue of proof.

6. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

If "virginity" is considered "an essential quality of a woman" then France has some serious sexism problems. Last I cjecked the "contract" doesn't contain any stipulations like that. This sets a pretty terrible precedent, as someone in the article said, where husbands have the power to claim imperfections in their wife to disqualify their rights. As far as I know, in the states the only things that qualify as misrepresentation and grounds for breach of contract would be falsification of age, name, infidelity etc. I don't like the fact that the courts here are honoring an oppressive religious mandate that is heavily skewed against the women in marriage.

7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I am not sure what to think about this one