PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our weaknesses as we move to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We are what we are, a 6-3 team with a weak schedule remaining (same as the jets). We are much stronger than most thought we were midpoint in the first game. We aren't the locks for the playoffs and the favorites to go deep as we once were, but we are in the hunt. After all, every previous 9-0 team has won their conference. We face long odds. But we are where are we.

OFFENSE
IMHO, we are getting very good production from everyone but our tight ends. We do need one of our running backs to come back, or we will have a very tired set of runners next month. We SHOULDN'T need much. We had the best offense in NFL history last year. Cassel isn't Brady, but he has indeed been playing very well, and the OL is healthy again.

DEFENSE
I think that the front seven is fine as long as we don't lose anyone else. Woods will replace Thomas and get his reps. Guyton and Mayo should continue to improve. Bruschi and Vrabel will continue to produce, perhaps at a lower level than last year, but they will still produce. It is great to have role players as good as Green and Wright.

I think our weakness is still our defensive backfield. It is not that we cannot win with this group; it just that they are by far our weakest unit. We have Hobbs and the rest. We are starting O'Neal. We are counting on Wilhite and Richardson (and now Webster). We have no backup safeties, and we have one safety who gives up one big play a game. We might get Lew Sanders and Wheatley back, but while valuable, they don't represent major upgrades this year. Many of these players are only signed through 2008. There will be some new faces next year.

Last edited:
Essentially, what you're saying is we have a shot if there are no further injuries. On that, I will agree.

Are the Patriots the best team in the league? I'd say, to date, no. The homer in me wants them to be, but they are just not.

Can the Patriots beat any team in the AFC? Yes. There isn't anyone in the AFC that the Patriots can't beat. Don't get me wrong: most AFC teams can beat the Pats, too, but I think they'd give even the almight Titans a run for their money.

So, the playoffs will come and the Patriots will likely be in the mix. They are good enough for me to get excited about the playoffs.

Yes, and that our defensive backfield could be destroyed by a hot quarterback.

Essentially, what you're saying is we have a shot if there are no further injuries. On that, I will agree.

Yes, and that our defensive backfield could be destroyed by a hot quarterback.

That's been true ever since Wilson lost his will to hit, and it's why this season's Cardinals and Dolphins games really concern me.

Secondary - We are very susceptible to the deep ball & YAC.

Pass Protection - Giving Matt Cassel time to make his reads is key to his progression in this offense.

We are what we are, a 6-3 team with a weak schedule remaining (same as the jets). We are much stronger than most thought we were midpoint in the first game. We aren't the locks for the playoffs and the favorites to go deep as we once were, but we are in the hunt. After all, every previous 9-0 team has won their conference. We face long odds. But we are where are we.
I agree with everything just one minor correction, the colts were 9-0 3 years ago and lost in the divisional round and in that same year the 6th seeded steelers won the superbowl. Now i'm not saying that we are the 05 steelers because that team was an extremely talented team which had underperformed and had been hit with numerous injuries early on which caused them to struggle but if memory serves right they were extremely hot down the stretch winning i believe there last 5 games going into the playoffs. Now if we can get on a similar role and be playing our best football come december and hopefully january then we have as good a chance as anyone mainly because there is no "dominant" team in the NFL this year unlike the last few years where the pats and colts have been the definite standard.

Are the Patriots the best team in the league? I'd say, to date, no. The homer in me wants them to be, but they are just not.

Can the Patriots beat any team in the AFC? Yes. There isn't anyone in the AFC that the Patriots can't beat. Don't get me wrong: most AFC teams can beat the Pats, too, but I think they'd give even the almight Titans a run for their money.

So, the playoffs will come and the Patriots will likely be in the mix. They are good enough for me to get excited about the playoffs.

Pats match up very well with the Titans, IMO. Would love to go to Nashville for the AFCCG.

Really, there are no AFC teams that can truly exploit the Pats major weakness, aka a shaky back four. In fact, the top teams in the AFC -- Titans, Ravens, Steelers -- all match up favorably with NE and I have confidence NE could beat them all in a 20-10 type ball games.

I'd also include pass rush especially now with the loss of AD. Our ability to stop the run has been excellent, but that same front has done very little to get at the QB for the majority of the season.

I'm not sold on the Pats' ability to defend the middle of the field, especially against good TEs. Granted there are not a lot of good TEs to worry about, but potential playoff foes Indy and San Diego have two of the better ones in the game. Tennessee has been getting Bo Scaife more and more looks as teams have clamped down on the Landwhale/CJ3 combo.

Regards,
Chris

Secondary - We are very susceptible to the deep ball & YAC.

Pass Protection - Giving Matt Cassel time to make his reads is key to his progression in this offense.

We had ONE, maybe TWO games where we got beaten deep, you make it sound like it been a consistent problem.

OFFENSE
IMHO, we are getting very good production from everyone but our tight ends. We do need one of our running backs to come back, or we will have a very tired set of runners next month. We SHOULDN'T need much. We had the best offense in NFL history last year. Cassel isn't Brady, but he has indeed been playing very well, and the OL is healthy again.

DEFENSE
I think that the front seven is fine as long as we don't lose anyone else. Woods will replace Thomas and get his reps. Guyton and Mayo should continue to improve. Bruschi and Vrabel will continue to produce, perhaps at a lower level than last year, but they will still produce. It is great to have role players as good as Green and Wright.

I think our weakness is still our defensive backfield. It is not that we cannot win with this group; it just that they are by far our weakest unit. We have Hobbs and the rest. We are starting O'Neal. We are counting on Wilhite and Richardson (and now Webster). We have no backup safeties, and we have one safety who gives up one big play a game. We might get Lew Sanders and Wheatley back, but while valuable, they don't represent major upgrades this year. Many of these players are only signed through 2008. There will be some new faces next year.

I think it is CRITICAL that we gain a first round bye. That will mean beating Pittsburgh, and probably going at least 11-5, both of which are very reasonable. (10-6 could actually earn a first round bye this year. If we beat Pitt, and they go 4-2 in thier other 6, they are 10-6 and I cant see anyone getting better than 10-6 in the AFCW)
With a bye, I am not worried about any of the other AFC teams coming in here and beating us in the second round (not saying it couldnt happen, but I love our chances) and that sets up going to Tenn for the AFCC. Quite frankly, if you told me every year for the rest of my life I could take the Pats guaranteed to be in a road AFCC game, including with brady, I'd take it and I'd bet you today that BB would win more than half of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes