Welcome to PatsFans.com

Our water-logged English friends

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Clonamery, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -1

2. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The weather has been bloody awful. We have actually been having warm summers recently with temperatures regularly in the 80s and 90s (yes, in England). Now we have this. I live in South-east London, about 7 miles from the Thames. It isn't very high up here but the chances of flooding are pretty small at a guess (famous last words).
    Miss Gcat and I drove past the River Thames on Monday, pretty much along it for a couple of miles. To say that it was ready to flood is an understatement. It isn't a great surprise that it has happened. All this has happened way to the west of London. Central London isn't likely to flood because of the Thames Barrier:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Barrier

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/25/nfloods425.xml
  3. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Greetings from watery Oxford!

For those who've never visited, Oxford is, basically, a drained swamp, with branches of the Thames (which, for reasons no one has ever explained to me, we call the "Isis") another smaller river called the Cherwell, a canal, and many side and back streams. So the flooding has taken place in several different parts of town. The roads into the city from the South and West are blocked. Oxford has terrible traffic at the best of times and trying to get about is now a complete nightmare.

Last week we had 5 inches of rain in 24 hours, which is a lot for a temperate and moderate place like Oxford (there's normally 25 to 30 inches a year).

I live in a house that is actually alongside the river Thames, although it is a branch that is now a side-stream. It hasn't flooded here for fifty years but the last couple of nights came close and I've been perfecting my Paul Robeson voice to sing "River Stay Way from my Door". So far, my singing has been as off-putting as ever. :) Reports say that the water has now peaked, although there was more heavy rain today. On the other hand, the forecast for the next couple of days looks good.

Compared to Hurricane Katrina, of course, this is nothing, but, still, it has been a worrying and distressing time for a lot of people.
  4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

England has a great seafaring tradition. I'd hope a little extra water doesn't ruffle too many feathers. :D
  5. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +281 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Actually, our major national tradition is being miserable and anticipating disaster. When something bad happens (provided that, like this, it isn't TOO bad) it usually cheers everyone up.
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

AH so you'd fit right in here,with our calvanist mind set.At least I think its Calvanist ,maybe its puritanical. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  7. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +281 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

No, Americans are quite different, in my experience. They show great initial optimism, but easily move on to witch-hunts/lawsuits when things go wrong . :)
  8. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -1

Lol, you forgot tar-n-feather, rail tying, cross burning, roid rage, drive by shootings, talk radio, reality TV and Oprah.
  9. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +281 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

After a summer of binge-drinking chavs, OK magazine, the tabloids and Big Brother, all of that seems surprisingly inviting.
  10. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

...not to mention washed-out cricket, kids stabbing each other to death and the fact that even more NFL games are going on to Sky. :(