PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our secondary sucks, but we need a deep threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: We could REALLY use a deep threat

A deep threat is definitely needed, but it won't matter if BOB keeps coming up with lousy game plans like yesterday.

I'd still prefer a pass rush

O'Brien has to worry u.This whole coaching staff.

This team won 3 SB's without a deep threat. Cardinals have Fitzgerald, Miami has Marshall, Carolina has Smith, how are they doing? When you only get 20 minutes of offense, there is no room for mistakes. The defense did not give the offense enough time to build up a rhythm.

GB had deep threats in 2010.
NO had deep threats in 2009.
PIT had deep threats in 2008.
NYG had deep threats in 2007.
IND had deep threats in 2006.

Should I keep going?

Your argument is silly.

It's starting to hurt our offense. We simply have no one fast enough, tall enough, or skilled enough to consistently get open deep. Let's face it guys, this defense is awful. They are going to stay awful. Many years of wasted draft picks by Bill on the D have put on D in shambles. It's our offense that will keep us afloat. However, our Offense has been struggling lately. If we cannot get out offensive back to the jauggernaut it once was, we have no shot at the superbowl.

we have one...Price. He went deep and was open before TB under threw him.

The question is, now that we have complained our asses of, what happens? Does the team do something or can we make adjustments with the guys we have. I think the latter is possible but only if you give Price/Ocho more opportunities, give Ocho plays he knows, why just let him rot?

we have one...Price. He went deep and was open before TB under threw him.

yup, and he needs to keep getting more snaps to become comfortable in the offense. he clearly has the athleticism to beat his defender in man-man coverage.

before the season, Parcells dubbed Taylor Price as his breakout player for the patriots in 2011....the signing of ochocinco/his injury kind of stunted his playing time/reps in the beginning of the season. but it seems like they are now working him into the offense.

if he can eventually give us 1-2 deep 20+yard catches a game it would do wonders for our offense even just as a threat...his speed/athleticism in the pre-season really impressed me

Not this again. Moss is done. Finished. Not coming back.

JB you can't kill a LEGEND:p:p:p

that is why this stuff continues.:eek:

Unrealistic PAT fans wear blinkers and their myopic view of this situation is humorous:D

Moss advocates= Unrealistic:bricks:

The question is, now that we have complained our asses of, what happens? Does the team do something or can we make adjustments with the guys we have. I think the latter is possible but only if you give Price/Ocho more opportunities, give Ocho plays he knows, why just let him rot?

Have you ever played a sport?
The team goes back to practice after losing a road game to the team that went to the SB last year,and works on improving. (Just as they would have done if they won).
They move past playing poorly yesterday, work on practicing well, gameplanning, and preparing for the next game.
Then they do it again the following week.
Trying to take one game and project into determining the future, and crying about it is what spoiled fans do, not professional athletes.

GB had deep threats in 2010.
NO had deep threats in 2009.
PIT had deep threats in 2008.
NYG had deep threats in 2007.
IND had deep threats in 2006.

Should I keep going?

Your argument is silly.

In 2007 NE had the best deep threat in the entire NFL, results? In 2006 we should have beating the Colts to advance to the SB but the refs ruined that for us. (Hobbs PI in the end zone on 3rd and long, Caldwell's mugging on the end zone pass that wasn't called). That year we had Gaffney, Caldwell, Gabriel, Brown, Jackson. Hardly deep threats.

Its funny how everyone on this board said we were a better team without our deep threat in Moss, but after our loss to the Yets, everyone blamed it on not having a deep threat. Slater caught the first deep ball this year, since then he has been non existent. Can't throw to a deep threat if Brady doesn't have enough time in the pocket.

Last edited:

In 2007 NE had the best deep threat in the entire NFL, results?

The best offense in NFL history and a win/loss record of 18-1 despite playing the Super Bowl with injuries all over the place. Why? You're not seriously trying to denigrate that team, are you?

In 2006 we should have beating the Colts to advance to the SB but the refs ruined that for us. (Hobbs PI in the end zone on 3rd and long, Caldwell's mugging on the end zone pass that wasn't called). That year we had Gaffney, Caldwell, Gabriel, Brown, Jackson. Hardly deep threats.

Its funny how everyone on this board said we were a better team without our deep threat in Moss, but after our loss to the Yets, everyone blamed it on not having a deep threat. Slater caught the first deep ball this year, since then he has been non existent. Can't throw to a deep threat if Brady doesn't have enough time in the pocket.

1.) Nowhere near "everyone" on the board was saying that.

2.) Brady has as much time in the pocket as any quarterback in the league.

The best offense in NFL history and a win/loss record of 18-1 despite playing the Super Bowl with injuries all over the place. Why? You're not seriously trying to denigrate that team, are you?

1.) Nowhere near "everyone" on the board was saying that.

2.) Brady has as much time in the pocket as any quarterback in the league.

I am not discrediting the 2007 team. I thought it was the best team in history. Just making a point that the deep threat isn't a requirement for a SB team.

I am not discrediting the 2007 team. I thought it was the best team in history. Just making a point that the deep threat isn't a requirement for a SB team.

That's true. If you have a running game (we don't) and/or a dominant defense (we don't).

We're a passing team, for better or for worse. If we don't do anything else well (and, well, we don't), we have to do that perfectly. That means a deep threat.

There are a lot of guys mentioned in this thread as deep threats, I'm kind of wondering if the posters know what this really is. Vincent Jackson --- ehhh maybe, not really, TO isn't and hasn't been for years, Marshall never has been.....

Listen guys, Wallace Jennings or Megatron aren't walking through that door. The team probably does need a deep threat considering they don't have any guy that matches up real well with press / man coverage, but this isn't the easiest fix to make. Tate should have been this guy.

That's true. If you have a running game (we don't) and/or a dominant defense (we don't).

We're a passing team, for better or for worse. If we don't do anything else well (and, well, we don't), we have to do that perfectly. That means a deep threat.

huh?? we actually have a pretty good running game

huh?? we actually have a pretty good running game

BJGE is injured, Ridley is unproven, Woodhead is injured, we can't runblock at the moment.

So no, we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back