PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Rushing offense and Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
After watching all the retro reels of the last few colts games I feel one thing we need to watch is how consistently we persist with the run in the 2nd half .What do you guys think ? will we continue to throw the ball on the colts or establish a consistent running game. ? Last 3 times we played them, we did run the ball well but got away from it in the 2nd half after indy stopped us 2-3 times especially in the game here at foxboro. i remember even some players questioning the play calling then. Even in the AFFCG last yr we didnt run much in the 2nd half. i think if we do maintain a running game if we are able to run the ball it will go a long way to breaking this 3 game losing streak.
Another rushing related stat - on Defense we have allowed 87 yards per game which is very good. But we have also allowed 4.2 yards per carry. So which stat is more accurate/reliable. ? Is it because teams move away from the run on us which has helped the yards per game or ypc avg is higher because a lot teams are running on us on nickel defense. Any ideas ? I think the colts will try and run the ball a lot today so success on early downs is critical.

After watching all the retro reels of the last few colts games I feel one thing we need to watch is how consistently we persist with the run in the 2nd half .What do you guys think ? will we continue to throw the ball on the colts or establish a consistent running game. ? Last 3 times we played them, we did run the ball well but got away from it in the 2nd half after indy stopped us 2-3 times especially in the game here at foxboro. i remember even some players questioning the play calling then. Even in the AFFCG last yr we didnt run much in the 2nd half. i think if we do maintain a running game if we are able to run the ball it will go a long way to breaking this 3 game losing streak.
Another rushing related stat - on Defense we have allowed 87 yards per game which is very good. But we have also allowed 4.2 yards per carry. So which stat is more accurate/reliable. ? Is it because teams move away from the run on us which has helped the yards per game or ypc avg is higher because a lot teams are running on us on nickel defense. Any ideas ? I think the colts will try and run the ball a lot today so success on early downs is critical.

I think the Pats run D stat is a little bloated. I can remember some games where the Pats were blowing out the opposition, you would think the opponent would pass. Instead opponents tried to run through the nickel package. They got rushing yardage but not a chance in hell of winning the game.

So how is it, that if we're 4th in yards and 1st in attempts in the first half of the season are people saying we don't have a running game (we are literally 28 yards off the league leading Steelers. They have 1114, we have 1086)?

# Team ATT YDS YPA APG LNG TD FUM LST
4 New England 259 1086 4.2 135.8 49 8 7 3

Pretty balanced attack actually... here's the passing stats
NAME COM ATT PCT YDS YPG YPA LNG TD INT SK SYD RAT
1 New England 201 273 73.6 2430 303.8 9.06 69 30 3 8 44 133.2

Last edited:

We do but when we play the colts BB's philosphy seems to throw the ball early and often to score points. Frankly iam happy with that. But last 2 games especially one in foxboro last yr when the colts run D was the worst, we went away from the run game too early. Even the o line of the pats was questioning the playcalling then. I think when pats play the colts they play with an aggressive mindset , not the "keepaway" plan which everyone advocates against the colts. I like that but i cant help feel we should run more on the colts iin the 2nd half.

I think part of the 4.2 ypc is from playing nickel most of the second half, but we've also had trouble stopping the run in the first half at times. This is pretty consistent with the last few years where our run defense took about 1/2 the season to really shore up. Plus we've been without Seymour. He will be a HUGE addition to the run defense. HUGE.

I really think our D will be the best in the NFL in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes