PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Running Game Was A Our Forte For SB Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBronxPats14

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not sure if i'm in'da minority or majority I feel like when we were winning superbowls I know Brady's passing was a key to their success with that said, when we had A Smith & C Dillion I think that balance kept Opposing D honest.
Yes we need to Lock Up Welker and add a speedy and/or Physical receiver. Names thrown out there such as Colston, Lloyd, Jackson 2, Bowe etc but I think adding Matt Forte would Be HUGE for us. In our system & O Line he'd be perfect. Look what he did with a team & O Line last year not to mention screens with 2TEs blocking. He probably was like 60-70% offense alone.
In a perfect world, Forte/Welker/Colston/Lloyd/TEs and enough cap space other needed areas.
Thoughts on adding Forte?

I loved A smith but the last thing I believe is that he was responsible for the offensive success.

Look at the 2003 Super Bowl. That was won with Tom Brady's passing more than anything else, more than the defense, won that game.

Ah, 2004 Corey Dillon.....sigh.

Forte would be incredible in this offense. I think my favorite thing would be getting back to the running back screens that helped make us so successful when we were winning SBs. I'm not a fan of dishing out huge contracts to RBs, but he'd be worth it on a 4-5 year deal. Doesn't sound like there is any chance of him leaving Chicago, though.

We're two catches away (a non-helmet catch and a Welker catch) away from winning 2 SBs with little production at RB.

We're 3 missed FGs from possibly being 0/3 during the dynasty.

Only difference now is the Patriots haven't had luck on their side, which isn't a tangible thing we can go out and sign.

I do feel like the running game was missing in both SB42 and 46. LawFirm was running really well but it seems like they completely abandoned it come 4th quarter. I was screaming at them to run and stop go pass pass pass punt.

I think all of our 2012 RB's are already on this roster.

We're two catches away (a non-helmet catch and a Welker catch) away from winning 2 SBs with little production at RB.

Only difference now is the Patriots haven't had luck on their side, which isn't a tangible thing we can go out and sign.

Well, the Pats can't, but the Colts can.

thumbnail.aspx

:singing:

Living in the Chicago area, I have caught a lot of Bears games since Forte was a rookie. I think he would be a great fit for the Patriots offense, but I think they have enough invested in the running back position going forward.

Besides a wide receiver, I would love for them to take a look at Williams if possible. I think he would be a great fit for the defense.

Well said.

Just like Antowain Smith, we don't necessarily need a stud runner, we need someone to take what the run blocking provides. It's just unfortunate that our best run blocker tends to choke in the biggest moments. Even though Welker's drop was a killer, I believe that 1st down where BJGE got stuffed right before that play was pretty key as well. That's a situation where your OL has to enforce it's will, the Giants were reeling at that point and their backs were against the wall. They were tired and hurt, there's no excuse for us not being able to shove it down their throats. When they made that stop you just had a feeling we didn't have what it took to put them away.

Even if he only gets 3-4 yards on that 1st down run and then Welker has his drop, it's still a much more manageable 3rd down and perhaps an opportunity for 4 down territory. No excuse for negative yards when you're on the offensive and trying to run the clock out, but it's on the OL not the RB. I would love a stud RB but right now this team has too many needs to use resources and cap space there. If we're going to spend big $$ this offseason, get a FS or DE/OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back