Our Running Game is of Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born_a_Patriot

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

We need to get the running game going by design and not by chance. The Patriots need to prove that they can run the ball well against teams that have a good run defense. I still don't think we are calling the best plays to showcase Maroney's skills. It seems to me that skill by the running backs, luck and bad Run Defense teams has at time made our running games look better than it is.

A combination of bad play calling and our O line struggling to consistently open up hole can cost us when it really counts.

While the Passing game is improving week by week a lot to do with Brady I would imagine. The running game remains a blindfolded toss of a dart in the air.

With the talent we have in Running Backs opposing defenses should be in a constant state of fear Should we die by the run or Pass. Instead although I don't think they overlook our running game it probably is an after though.

Last edited:
The next month or so will tell us something about our ground game. While I think "concern" might be too strong for such a dynamic and, at times, productive group, I have a hard time really disagreeing with it. This OL and stable of RBs should be able to run against ANYONE, and so far that has not been the case. I think it WILL be the case, but it's hard to argue with your point. They need to develop consistency the way the pass game is beginning to.

As Brady get more comfortable with the WR's and the deep passing game develops that will make the diff in the running game. Some teams are putting 8-9 guys in the box, making it tough for a guy like Maroney to get going.

Born_a_Patriot said:

We need to get the running game going by design and not by chance. The Patriots need to prove that they can run the ball well against teams that have a good run defense. I still don't think we are calling the best plays to showcase Maroney's skills. It seems to me that skill by the running backs, luck and bad Run Defense teams has at time made our running games look better than it is.

A combination of bad play calling and our O line struggling to consistently open up hole can cost us when it really counts.

While the Passing game is improving week by week a lot to do with Brady I would imagine. The running game remains a blindfolded toss of a dart in the air.

With the talent we have in Running Backs opposing defenses should be in a constant state of fear Should we die by the run or Pass. Instead although I don't think they overlook our running game it probably is an after though.

Im not quite sure if you have noticed this yet, but everytime Maroney gets the ball, he has absolutely no place to run. Call it the o-line, but I call it lack of a passing game, knowledge of the threat lo-mo possesses, and piling 8 men in the box. Im not concerned as long as we take advantage of every yd. the oppossing D will give us. Things will shape up as we get further into the yr. and the passing game gels more.

That is another of my concerns. I see an 8 man box and sure enough they send Maroney up the middle.

No wonder Dillon doesn't mind sharing time.

He is probably saying Yeah Man you go ahead make sure your helmet is strapped tight.

Dillon is much better when the D is stacked against the run, he is decisive and runs downhill and will get tough yards.

Born_a_Patriot said:
That is another of my concerns. I see an 8 man box and sure enough they send Maroney up the middle.

No wonder Dillon doesn't mind sharing time.

He is probably saying Yeah Man you go ahead make sure your helmet is strapped tight.

We are fortunate to have one of the few RBs in the game who can get yards running through a brick wall.

In general, Any defense can stop a running game if they totally commit to it.

Defenses are not respecting our passing game and I don't blame them since we're breaking in 3 or 4 new receivers.

Despite that, we've still had good success with the run.

Our big gains will be burning people with the pass so they can't bunch up in the middle. Then our running game will really fly.

Lack of a passing threat = 8 man in the box and a defense focused on the run.

We are 6th in the league in rushing without a consistent passing attack. We have rushed for less than 100 yards once and that was against the best defense in the league in a game where Brady threw for over 300 yards. So I don't understand where the worry about our running game is coming from? Is it because we rushed for over 200 yards against the 25th ranked rush defense and now people expect that every week?

:violent: Make it stop...Please!

Last edited:
Two words...

Daniel Graham

While I do not inherently disagree with some of the ideas in the original post, I hardly think our running game is a big concern. Last year? Sure. This year. No, not really. This past week our passing game really started to show some cohesion. As that improves, so will the running game. Again, work in progress. Hate to keep bringing up the past, but last year at this time we were horribly inconsistent on a week to week basis yet still managed to gel in time to look like a much different team come playoff time. We are in what, week 7? Still too early to have things clicking on all cylinders.

I like where we are this year MUCH better than last.

RayClay said:
Defenses are not respecting our passing game and I don't blame them since we're breaking in 3 or 4 new receivers.

Our big gains will be burning people with the pass so they can't bunch up in the middle. Then our running game will really fly.
Couldn't agree more.

Considering the talent in our backfield I understand the expectation for more production -- but it's not a problem because we're winning. It's choice to believe (or not) that our offense will progress in time. And it's that issue of time which is very difficult to accept from some fans. There's no clock or calendar attached to our offense -- it'll progress at it's own pace. Hopefully Brady will find a reliable go-to receiver who proves to be a serious downfield threat. When that happens, the running game will indeed take off. JMO.

Seneschal2 said:
Couldn't agree more.

Considering the talent in our backfield I understand the expectation for more production -- but it's not a problem because we're winning. It's choice to believe (or not) that our offense will progress in time. And it's that issue of time which is very difficult to accept from some fans. There's no clock or calendar attached to our offense -- it'll progress at it's own pace. Hopefully Brady will find a reliable go-to receiver who proves to be a serious downfield threat. When that happens, the running game will indeed take off. JMO.

By the way, I really like our receivers. Compared to Branch and Givens they are unproven, though, and NFL defenses will make you prove it before they switch their emphasis.

When they see that Dillon's healthy and paired with probably the best RB in the draft (IMO), they are not going to let us get going on the ground if they can helo it.

The Colts defense will make our Rush O look good :)

mgcolby said:
Lack of a passing threat = 8 man in the box and a defense focused on the run.

We are 6th in the league in rushing without a consistent passing attack. We have rushed for less than 100 yards once and that was against the best defense in the league in a game where Brady threw for over 300 yards. So I don't understand where the worry about our running game is coming from? Is it because we rushed for over 200 yards against the 25th ranked rush defense and now people expect that every week?

:violent: Make it stop...Please!
the stat the pats are 6th in the league are skewed stats. the pats had a ton of yardage in the cincy game. in the denver, miami, and buffalo they had limited yardage. they need more consistency.

personally with maroney being a rookie i think they should give a fullback to lead into the hole to help with somewhat indecisiveness. i'd like to see a rb screen or two also.

RayClay said:
We are fortunate to have one of the few RBs in the game who can get yards running through a brick wall.

In general, Any defense can stop a running game if they totally commit to it.

Well said.

Of particular concern was the deep passing game to open up defenses even more... but with two 30+ yard catches this week the Vikes are on notice that they can't ignore that part of the game (as you don't need to have a dozen long bombs to be deemed a deep threat).

That, along with (finally) some more creative playcalling seemed to help greatly against what is actually a very good Buffalo D.

If someone hadn't forgotten to tell Buffalo that there's a rule that you can't hit a QB when he's down already, the game could have gotten off to a very different start.

MrBigglesWorth said:
the stat the pats are 6th in the league are skewed stats. the pats had a ton of yardage in the cincy game. in the denver, miami, and buffalo they had limited yardage. they need more consistency.

personally with maroney being a rookie i think they should give a fullback to lead into the hole to help with somewhat indecisiveness. i'd like to see a rb screen or two also.

The denver game is the one I was referring to in my post and Brady threw for 320 yards in that game on 55 attempts. Miami the offense as a whole didn't get going and they had a short field to work with for the most part. The Buffalo game last week we used a lot short passes particularly WR screens. For what it is worth it all goes back to the fact that teams are going to take away what we do best and force us to beat them in the air. It will continue to be this way until we prove that we can hurt them in the passing game.

So again I ask why there is concern? Dillon and Maroney are hardly touched in the back field and getting tackled two or three yards beyond the line of scrimmage isn't neccassarily the O-line's fault or the backs fault. Both backs have proven to be elusive but they can't deek 4 or 5 guys keying on the run.

What many on here percieve as an inconsistency in the running game is really a direct result of inconsistency in the passing game.

Last edited:
NEM said:
Geez, isnt that what I have been saying for weeks, even with the shortage of WR's...Use the damned passing game to force defenses out of the box. Why keep running into a stone wall if it isnt working?

Even with the WR's we had the first few weeks, if you dont throw them the ball, how the hell are they going to catch it?

The season is a process, I see the O opening up as Brady gets in sync with the WR corp. We will need to be running on all cylinders wehn we play the Bears. I want to see a 15-1, 14-2 record with Home Field for the playoffs.

And yes NEM you have ben banging that drum as long as anyone around here.

mgcolby said:
The denver game is the one I was referring to in my post and Brady threw for 320 yards in that game on 55 attempts. Miami the offense as a whole didn't get going and they had a short field to work with for the most part. The Buffalo game last week we used a lot short passes particularly WR screens. For what it is worth it all goes back to the fact that teams are going to take away what we do best and force us to beat them in the air. It will continue to be this way until we prove that we can hurt them in the passing game.

So again I ask why there is concern? Dillon and Maroney are hardly touched in the back field and getting tackled two or three yards beyond the line of scrimmage isn't neccassarily the O-line's fault or the backs fault. Both backs have proven to be elusive but they can't deek 4 or 5 guys keying on the run.

What many on here percieve as an inconsistency in the running game is really a direct result of inconsistency in the passing game.
I'd have to partly disagree. there has been many times maroney just runs into his linemen and there is no hole. it all gets bottled up. the buffalo game they just couldn't run. if you take out the jackson run and dillon long run it comes out to like 2.something per rush. if they could run...i bet they would have run more at the end. i do admit they came out throwing more.

They need more consistency on the yards per rush average.

I think a lot of the slight inconsistency we are seeing is Maroney learning the NFL game. He definately would be even more of a success that he's been as a Patriot, if he had gone to a team that plays a zone blocking scheme like he had in Minnesota. Teams like Denver & Atlanta, he'd probably lead the league in rushing, even sharing the caries. It's a completely different scheme in NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes