PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our own free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I presume that these players are under contract through March 4th and that we have exclusive rights to try to sign these players to new contracts through that date.
======================================
As I recall the major re-signs for 2009 were Kaczur, Wright and Sanders, as well as the tendering of almost all the RFA's and ERFA's.

Many players ahve already been extended through 2010 or 2011.

Free agency will be greatly affected by pre-March 5th decisions/negotiations regarding Mankins, Neal, Watson, Faulk, Gostkowski, Wilfork, Green, Burgess, Banta-Cain, Woods, and Bodden.
===========

These are a lot of decisions to make in the next 6 weeks, along with making any coaching changes and/or additions and participating in discsussions regarding any CBA extensions or "special" 2010 rules such as the rookie pool.

Last edited:
I'm not being funny, but do we need another thread on our Free Agents?

We know who they are, who is restricted/unrestricted depending on if they rush through a Salary Cap (though that's highly doubtful now) and most of us have opinions on who we should keep/let go.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps we should spend the next six weeks discussing patriots music or why we didn't win in 2005 or why Denver coaches will succeed or not succeed.

Or perhaps we just should just wait until the Front Office makes its decisions and not post at all except on the draft board.

Personally, I would rather discuss the pluses and minuses of keeping each of our free agents and even have a thread on each than discuss some of the other things being currently discussed. As always, folks will discuss what they want.

Perhaps it is only the draft board that wishes to consider who will keep and we will not.
=================

Just for curiosity, what do think should be discussed on this board for the enxt few weeks instead of free agancy decisions?

I presume that these players are under contract through March 4th and that we have exclusive rights to try to sign these players to new contracts through that date.
As I recall the major re-signs for 2009 were Kaczur, Wright and Sanders, as well as the tendering of almost all the RFA's and ERFA's.

Free agency will be greatly affected by pre-March 5th decisions/negotiations regarding Mankins, Neal, Watson, Faulk, Gostkowski, Wilfork, Green, Burgess, Banta-Cain, Woods, and Bodden.
===========

These are a lot of decisions to make in the next 6 weeks, along with making any coaching changes and/or additions and participating in discsussions regarding any CBA extensions or "special" 2010 rules such as the rookie pool.

Last edited:
Im going to have to disagree, MG's threads and posts are among my favorite. His presentation style is clean, simple and effective and most importantly almost always bring good discussion along with them. Never are they madden players fairy tale scenarios, they are always within the realm of logic and I, along with many new posters Im sure, have learned a lot from them.

Just for curiosity, what do think should be discussed on this board for the enxt few weeks instead of free agancy decisions?

Ok now, go take you medicine. I believe he was just asking why we need multiple threads with different titles, that are all about the same subject. Its like the Seymour crap. We have 200 threads on Sey, and the posts are identicle in each one.

Thats all :D

===========

We had more activity than normal when Kazur, LeVoir, Aiken,
Ninkovich, and Alexander were extended before their contracts
ran out. These were all modest contracts with small signing
bonuses. I hope that the activity doesnt stop here.

This Patriot's team has a roster with a lot of weaknesses. Every
one of the above players who is lost to free agency will create
another hole to be filled. Bob Kraft's statement sticks in my mind.
He said that there would be no long term contracts without a
new CBA. If he actually means it, there will be very little activity.

BB has historicly played games in the draft searching for value.
Trade up and down and even acquire draft picks the following year.
BB may be hard pressed to find enough draft picks to fill the vacancies
if he is not moderately active in free agency.

I dont care what anyone and this including the teams FO says but the following should be signed and we cannot afford to let go:

1.Wilfork
2.Mankins
3.Ghost
4. Brady

I include Brady here because he will become a FA next year.Those four should be signed to long term deals. If we lose any of those players we will be worse at those positions. If we are serious about winning in the future we cannot let any of those players go.

P.S. Wilfork has stated that he wont react well to being franchised. And after 6 long years of service he deserves a new contract. You want leaders in the locker room you show that you reward people for playing out their contract and being good players on the field and off. If you don't then why should players bother.

Didn't Kaczur rework his contract and take less in 2009 to make more in 2010? I believe there were some comments that he was gambling on having a good year and that if he was on the roster next year he would see a big increase or roster bonus.
I've felt that he's been a pretty weak player and it was a risky move on his part since Seabass played so well this year. If they decide to keep Light and Volmer, Kaczur could be hitting the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back