Welker
Branch
Edelman
Lloyd
Ocho cinco
Gonzalez
Slater
Underwood

barring us drafting a young guy in the draft this is what we will be bringing into camp this summer

i know branch isn't signed yet but i just wanted to get your thoughts on this group

Welker
Branch
Edelman
Lloyd
Ocho cinco
Gonzalez
Slater
Underwood

barring us drafting a young guy in the draft this is what we will be bringing into camp this summer

i know branch isn't signed yet but i just wanted to get your thoughts on this group

Kinda funny, I was just thinking about this. I think they probably be a few WRs invited to camp, as well.

Unless OCHO's lightbulb turned on, and knows the route-tree and can run the routes, he is likely out.
Branch is on his last legs, literally. Last season, he started strong and faded to nothing in the end. He no longer has lasting power. He may sign for vet-min, 1yr and probably retire as a Patriot.
Underwood was a safety-net, which, IMO, has as many holes as Ocho's route running. I dont (hope) he is not on the roster.
Slater and Edelman are NOT WRs. Just keep them in their skill-set.

I just don't see how we can have so many draft picks and NOT draft a young WR with some talent. Injuries will happen and not having a starting caliber WR under that age of 30 is something that may come back to bite us.
Before you respond, please don't say Gronk and Hernandez are young, etc. I understand that, but I am limiting this to strictly wide receivers who are capable of filling a starting role in the near future.

I would prefer a speedy deep wideout over Underwood and Branch. I don't consider Slater a WR and Edelmen is insurance for a Welker injury. If Gronk or Welker disappears in a game we now have a solid guy in Lloyd to make it easier.

Last edited:
We have 4 guys competing for 3 spots:

Edelman - I could see him not making the team. Sure he has versatility but we already have a jack of all trades in Slater and he's underwhelming as a WR.

Gonzalez - could be our new #3 could be cut in camp. Anybody here his contract numbers yet.

Ocho - could be our new #3 could be cut in camp. I like his personality and am pulling for the guy but not holding my breath.

Underwood - Competing w/ above for a roster spot

Branch - I don't think we bring him to camp. Either he signs elsewhere or stays a phone call away. He knows the offense and has a good connection with Brady already. Also gives us time to evaluate the above guys.

I just don't see how we can have so many draft picks and NOT draft a young WR with some talent. Injuries will happen and not having a starting caliber WR under that age of 30 is something that may come back to bite us.
Before you respond, please don't say Gronk and Hernandez are young, etc. I understand that, but I am limiting this to strictly wide receivers who are capable of filling a starting role in the near future.

It's going to be tough for any rookie WR to improve when he's sitting on the bench. That said I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a WR in the 3rd or later to compete for a roster spot as Edelman, Ocho, Gonzalez and Underwood are nothing to write home about. Any WR pick would clearly be a BPA scenario tho.

Kinda funny, I was just thinking about this. I think they probably be a few WRs invited to camp, as well.

Branch is on his last legs, literally. Last season, he started strong and faded to nothing in the end. He no longer has lasting power. He may sign for vet-min, 1yr and probably retire as a Patriot.

BTW only 17 WR had more catches than Branch in 2011, one of them being WW.........

half of the teams in the NFL didn't have a #1 with that many rec.....

As a backup instead of a starter with reduced reps that problem will not occur. Given his Chemistry with Brady and his low cost I will be surprised if he isn't on the roster.

Welker
Branch
Edelman
Lloyd
Ocho cinco
Gonzalez
Slater
Underwood

WR1 - Lloyd
WR2 - Welker
WR3 - Branch/Johnson/Underwood
WR4 - Edelman/Gonzalez
WR5 - Slater/Branch/Johnson/Underwood

Maybe I'm being too concerned about Branch's decline, but I look at that list and I see a need to draft a WR to compete for the WR3 spot and bump Branch down to backup status.

What I think when I hear Underwood, in this order:

underwood5small.jpg

carrie_3.JPG

underwood-devil.jpg

Tiquan-Underwood-Patriots-Logo-High-Top-Fade.jpg

Here's hoping for a move up for that last one as time goes by.

It's apparent with Lloyd signed, as long as Gonzalez given a chance in camp, a rookie WR is not needed with:

1. Welker
2. Lloyd
3. Ochocinco
4. Gonzalez
5. Underwood
6. Edelman
7. Slater

However, I still wouldn't even mind going BPA with Hill at #27, or use one of the seconds on a WR. My ideal WR depth chart would be:

1. Welker
2. Lloyd
3. Hill
4. Branch
5. Edelman
6. Slater

Gonzalez doesn't make it, Ocho cut, Underwood cut, Branch signed.

Stephen Hill won't be the BPA at #27. Maybe at #63

I don't like what I see when it comes to the return game.

Stephen Hill won't be the BPA at #27. Maybe at #63

Just my opinion of course, but I don't see Stephen Hill slipping past the first round. The Bears at #19, Texans at #26, Pats at #27 and #31 all could take him.

Just my opinion of course, but I don't see Stephen Hill slipping past the first round. The Bears at #19, Texans at #26, Pats at #27 and #31 all could take him.

If so, WAY too high for the Pats to take a WR in my opinion. The Pats run an offense that makes it difficult to evaluate WR's from outside the organization and how they'll fit in (see Ocho amongst others). Spending a high draft pick on a kid that had less than 50 catches in his college career is basically leaving it entirely to chance. There just isn't enough evidence to say he definitely will be effective in this offense to spend a high resource on him, especially a resource that could be used to bolster the defense (which has positions up for grabs at every level).

My view is pretty simple really, we need a draft pick round 2-3 then let people like ocho/gonzalez and Underwood battle for the last spot

Here's what I would like for the Depth Chart next year:

Welker
Lloyd
Branch
2nd-3rd round pick. (Reuben Randle, Joe Adams come to mind.)
Gonzalez
Edelman
Slater for S/T

Basically, we need to cut the cord on Ochostinko, and decide on Underwood.

IMO - 2nd or 3rd round is when Patriots pick a WR..
1st round is a DE/OLB, or DB.

Almost guarantee they trade their #1 pick, for 2013 #1, and a #3.
Unless nobody will bite on the trade...

Welker
Lloyd
Gonzalez-(I'll go out on a limb and say he's going to have a break-out season.)
Branch
Edelman
Draft pick

Ocho doesn't make the team, he doesn't play ST's and Belichick won't use a roster spot for a 4th or 5th receiver who can't contribute in other ways.

Like many I would love to see them take a WR in the first 2 rounds to groom for the future. They have the picks, and unless they package 2 to go up and get a guy like Keuchly or Upshaw i don't see any reason they can't gamble on a player like Hill. Ideally i would like to see them be aggressive with these picks and move up, but it's unlikely. I would love to see them use both firsts to go get Keuchly or Upshaw and then use both seconds to move up for Hill. I would rather see them go for impact over quantity. A really good young LB and a gamebreaking WR would really put this team over the top.

*Keuchly isn't a pass rusher but i think he may well be the best LB in this draft. I also think Brandon Spikes is going to leave as soon as he can and having Keuchly and Mayo together would give them a pair of great young ILB's. However, if they do move up then I think the most likely target will be Upshaw, even though he doesn't fit the typical OLB height Belichick seems to prefer. Belcihick will know all he needs to about Upshaw from Saban, and if Saban raved about any of his defenders then Belcihick is likely to go after them the way he went after Florida players when Meyer was in his ear all the time.

Edelman should be safe...Belichick loves the guy because he can play defense, offense, special teams...

I look at it as

#1 welker
#2 Lloyd
#3 competition between Branch, Ochocinco, Gonzalez

I would invite Gaffney too if the redskins cut him...

but, as of right now it looks like branch is the one certainty that he could come in and at least be productive for this offense as a #3 WR...

Gonzalez/Ochocinco are the biggest question marks....

for Gonzalez, can he shake off that injury prone-ness and return to form of the WR he was the first year with the colts?

Ochocinco--it makes sense to at least get a look at him with a training camp. he still has the athletic skills to be a good WR in this league..but can he put it together mentally??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back