Welcome to PatsFans.com

Our outlook at Wide receiver

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Badluck, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badluck

Badluck Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welker
    Branch
    Edelman
    Lloyd
    Ocho cinco
    Gonzalez
    Slater
    Underwood

barring us drafting a young guy in the draft this is what we will be bringing into camp this summer

i know branch isn't signed yet but i just wanted to get your thoughts on this group
  2. zipster9

zipster9 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kinda funny, I was just thinking about this. I think they probably be a few WRs invited to camp, as well.

Unless OCHO's lightbulb turned on, and knows the route-tree and can run the routes, he is likely out.
    Branch is on his last legs, literally. Last season, he started strong and faded to nothing in the end. He no longer has lasting power. He may sign for vet-min, 1yr and probably retire as a Patriot.
    Underwood was a safety-net, which, IMO, has as many holes as Ocho's route running. I dont (hope) he is not on the roster.
    Slater and Edelman are NOT WRs. Just keep them in their skill-set.
  3. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I just don't see how we can have so many draft picks and NOT draft a young WR with some talent. Injuries will happen and not having a starting caliber WR under that age of 30 is something that may come back to bite us.
    Before you respond, please don't say Gronk and Hernandez are young, etc. I understand that, but I am limiting this to strictly wide receivers who are capable of filling a starting role in the near future.
  4. Dutchmaster617

Dutchmaster617 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would prefer a speedy deep wideout over Underwood and Branch. I don't consider Slater a WR and Edelmen is insurance for a Welker injury. If Gronk or Welker disappears in a game we now have a solid guy in Lloyd to make it easier.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  5. ay-yo

ay-yo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We have 4 guys competing for 3 spots:

Edelman - I could see him not making the team. Sure he has versatility but we already have a jack of all trades in Slater and he's underwhelming as a WR.

Gonzalez - could be our new #3 could be cut in camp. Anybody here his contract numbers yet.

Ocho - could be our new #3 could be cut in camp. I like his personality and am pulling for the guy but not holding my breath.

Underwood - Competing w/ above for a roster spot

Branch - I don't think we bring him to camp. Either he signs elsewhere or stays a phone call away. He knows the offense and has a good connection with Brady already. Also gives us time to evaluate the above guys.

It's going to be tough for any rookie WR to improve when he's sitting on the bench. That said I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a WR in the 3rd or later to compete for a roster spot as Edelman, Ocho, Gonzalez and Underwood are nothing to write home about. Any WR pick would clearly be a BPA scenario tho.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

BTW only 17 WR had more catches than Branch in 2011, one of them being WW.........

half of the teams in the NFL didn't have a #1 with that many rec.....

As a backup instead of a starter with reduced reps that problem will not occur. Given his Chemistry with Brady and his low cost I will be surprised if he isn't on the roster.
  7. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +91 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

WR1 - Lloyd
    WR2 - Welker
    WR3 - Branch/Johnson/Underwood
    WR4 - Edelman/Gonzalez
    WR5 - Slater/Branch/Johnson/Underwood

Maybe I'm being too concerned about Branch's decline, but I look at that list and I see a need to draft a WR to compete for the WR3 spot and bump Branch down to backup status.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

What I think when I hear Underwood, in this order:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's hoping for a move up for that last one as time goes by.
  9. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

It's apparent with Lloyd signed, as long as Gonzalez given a chance in camp, a rookie WR is not needed with:

1. Welker
    2. Lloyd
    3. Ochocinco
    4. Gonzalez
    5. Underwood
    6. Edelman
    7. Slater

However, I still wouldn't even mind going BPA with Hill at #27, or use one of the seconds on a WR. My ideal WR depth chart would be:

1. Welker
    2. Lloyd
    3. Hill
    4. Branch
    5. Edelman
    6. Slater

Gonzalez doesn't make it, Ocho cut, Underwood cut, Branch signed.
  10. VrabelJr

VrabelJr Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Stephen Hill won't be the BPA at #27. Maybe at #63
  11. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 1 / -2

I don't like what I see when it comes to the return game.
  12. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Just my opinion of course, but I don't see Stephen Hill slipping past the first round. The Bears at #19, Texans at #26, Pats at #27 and #31 all could take him.
  13. Jack Handy

Jack Handy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How much did Gonzalez cost?
  14. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

If so, WAY too high for the Pats to take a WR in my opinion. The Pats run an offense that makes it difficult to evaluate WR's from outside the organization and how they'll fit in (see Ocho amongst others). Spending a high draft pick on a kid that had less than 50 catches in his college career is basically leaving it entirely to chance. There just isn't enough evidence to say he definitely will be effective in this offense to spend a high resource on him, especially a resource that could be used to bolster the defense (which has positions up for grabs at every level).
  15. Leemo

Leemo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

My view is pretty simple really, we need a draft pick round 2-3 then let people like ocho/gonzalez and Underwood battle for the last spot
  16. Joey007

Joey007 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Here's what I would like for the Depth Chart next year:

Welker
    Lloyd
    Branch
    2nd-3rd round pick. (Reuben Randle, Joe Adams come to mind.)
    Gonzalez
    Edelman
    Slater for S/T

Basically, we need to cut the cord on Ochostinko, and decide on Underwood.
  17. zipster9

zipster9 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

IMO - 2nd or 3rd round is when Patriots pick a WR..
    1st round is a DE/OLB, or DB.

Almost guarantee they trade their #1 pick, for 2013 #1, and a #3.
    Unless nobody will bite on the trade...
  18. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

Probably a half eaten Twinkie and a roll of toilet paper.
  19. Ivan

Ivan Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 4 / -4

Welker
    Lloyd
    Gonzalez-(I'll go out on a limb and say he's going to have a break-out season.)
    Branch
    Edelman
    Draft pick

Ocho doesn't make the team, he doesn't play ST's and Belichick won't use a roster spot for a 4th or 5th receiver who can't contribute in other ways.

Like many I would love to see them take a WR in the first 2 rounds to groom for the future. They have the picks, and unless they package 2 to go up and get a guy like Keuchly or Upshaw i don't see any reason they can't gamble on a player like Hill. Ideally i would like to see them be aggressive with these picks and move up, but it's unlikely. I would love to see them use both firsts to go get Keuchly or Upshaw and then use both seconds to move up for Hill. I would rather see them go for impact over quantity. A really good young LB and a gamebreaking WR would really put this team over the top.

*Keuchly isn't a pass rusher but i think he may well be the best LB in this draft. I also think Brandon Spikes is going to leave as soon as he can and having Keuchly and Mayo together would give them a pair of great young ILB's. However, if they do move up then I think the most likely target will be Upshaw, even though he doesn't fit the typical OLB height Belichick seems to prefer. Belcihick will know all he needs to about Upshaw from Saban, and if Saban raved about any of his defenders then Belcihick is likely to go after them the way he went after Florida players when Meyer was in his ear all the time.
  20. RIpats88

RIpats88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Edelman should be safe...Belichick loves the guy because he can play defense, offense, special teams...

I look at it as

#1 welker
    #2 Lloyd
    #3 competition between Branch, Ochocinco, Gonzalez

I would invite Gaffney too if the redskins cut him...

but, as of right now it looks like branch is the one certainty that he could come in and at least be productive for this offense as a #3 WR...

Gonzalez/Ochocinco are the biggest question marks....

for Gonzalez, can he shake off that injury prone-ness and return to form of the WR he was the first year with the colts?

Ochocinco--it makes sense to at least get a look at him with a training camp. he still has the athletic skills to be a good WR in this league..but can he put it together mentally??
  21. Banjo

Banjo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would also love to draft another WR in the first or second. No matter how much we like Lloyd and Welker, you can't change the fact they're in their 30's. We need some new young blood.
  22. pa5471

pa5471 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Draft Tommy Streeter in the 3rd. He's 6-5 and runs a 4.3. That is the type of receiver we need.
  23. Don Kipines

Don Kipines Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The one thing the WR group really needs is speed.

Slater is the only guy in the group with home run speed, and by now we know, he's not going to be a contributor on offense. Right now they have four impressive pass-catchers in WW, Lloyd, Gronk and Hernandez, but none of them are speed mismatches. Even though Lloyd runs great deep routes, he doesn't scare DBs speedwise.

I don't think they need to spend a #1 on a guy like Hill. A first-rounder is a guy who you want to play more than 50% of your snaps, and I don't see that happening with Welker, Lloyd, and the TEs in the fold. But they could add to their offense significantly by bringing in a burner in the later rounds, maybe someone like Jarius Wright in the late 2nd or 3rd, or A.j. Jenkins, or Chris Givens.

Maybe it won't be a 4.30 guy like Hill, but 4.35 would still be something on this team -- especially if he can add to the return game. A Jacoby Ford type, in other words, someone to keep the safety back a few yards. We've been really missing that on offense.
  24. RIpats88

RIpats88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

lloyd might not have 4.30 speed, but theres some stat that he has had the 2nd most or something like that catches over 20yards the last 2 years..

so, he definitely provides a deep threat to the team
  25. Don Kipines

Don Kipines Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure, of course. But if you have a five-wide set and your fifth guy is Edelman, you can keep an extra defender inside the hashes to shadow Gronk/Welker etc., and leave a corner to deal with Edelman one on one. But if the guy out there is Jarius Wright or Tommy Streeter, you have to be a little more conservative.
  26. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Obviously it depends on what else happens in FA and who's available, but I'd much rather see our earlier picks focused on the defense and not be picking a WR until at least round 3-4. Our receiving corps isn't perfect, but Lloyd should add a lot. Let's strengthen the defense.

Even on offense, I'd probably prefer adding another promising young lineman as the first focal area in the draft.
  27. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1

Are we really strategizing about the impact of the 5th best receiver in a 5 receiver set?
  28. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see Underwood making the team. I think Ocho could still be gone. I see no reason (other than $$) to let Branch go. He's still very useful, has good rapport with Brady, and is a really good #3 WR in this offense. I would like to see them draft a young WR (not with a high pick, though...save that for defense) and then have that guy plus either Edelman or Gonzalez fill out the roster. So I see: Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Slater (ST as well), Edelman/Gonzalez, and the unnamed rookie. Goodbye Ocho, Underwood, and the loser of the Edelman/Gonzalez sweepstakes.

But who knows...
  29. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see the role of the kickoff returner as being as important as it used to be due to last year's rule changes regarding kickoffs. The Patriots did indeed rank very low in kick return average (29th at 21.43 yards). I thought much of that lower average was due to many kicks that were run out that the return man should have just taken a knee for a touchback; the Pats were in the top ten in number of kickoffs returned.

Even though they ranked so low, there was only a difference of 5.8 yards per return between them and the number one average return team, the 49ers. In addition the Pats average starting field position was 9th best in the league, at the 28.94 yard line.

I know Belichick has traditionally looked at kick return capabilities when drafting a receiver, but with the new rules I just it being as important as it used to be. As far as punt returns go the Pats were middle of the pack (16th at 10.34 yards).
  30. Don Kipines

Don Kipines Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why not? It's an easy fix to help boost the point total a little. The Pats really have three wide receivers with guaranteed spots on the roster -- Lloyd, Welker, and Slater. They have room on the roster for one or two developmental types, and they have plenty of draft picks. The team last year had no dynamic return threat and they were running out Edelman and Underwood outside the hashes in hurry-up situations in key games. You don't think they would have scored three or four more touchdowns last year if they'd had a legit deep threat to run out there instead of Julian Edelman?

The bottom of your WR group is the perfect place to stash a big, fast, raw kid who can make a couple of plays a year on special teams and on offense, and can also play on cover teams. Even a Bethel Johnson type would help this team a lot. And this draft is full of fast outside wideouts. That just seems like a better fit for your fifth receiver than slow guys like Edelman and Branch. Branch especially has no value if he's not catching a lot of balls on offense -- much better to give that spot to a young kid who can threaten outside and play on teams.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.