PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Offense Played Like Last Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kudos to Dante; the offensive line played fine against a top defense, even without two of last year's starters.

In pass protection, sure. But the run blocking sucked.

Funny that you're blaming this on Tom Brady.

The KC Chiefs are now 2-0. Their offense isn't rolling yet but is getting the job done in key situations. Their defense made a HUGE goal line stand last week to win the game, and also made very timely interceptions, and you can bet Romeo Crennel was a reason for those timely plays.

The Bears are 2-0. The Bears offense under Mike Martz is rolling, making Jay Cutler look good, despite the fact that their receivers are all still pretty mediocre.

You have it wrong. Great coordinators and great coaching can make great players. Great players can get by simply on talent, but the issues in the 2nd half of games are a play calling issue.

It makes no sense why you are seemingly claiming that Tom Brady simply plays worse in the 2nd half of games since his injury.

Why doesn't it make sense?? It's true.
Brady cost them the Miami game last year with a redzone pick late in the 4th qtr by throwing into double coverage trying to force the ball to you-know-who.
No question the playcalling has been mystifying and downright foolish at times. However Tom Brady has not lead this team to a significant road win since 2007. He's simply not managing this offense very well in the 2nd half of road games. I find it hard to believe that Billy O'Brien has more say over the O than Tom Brady does.

This game was almost identical to last year's week 2 loss to the Jets. I even recall a juggled pass that led to an INT in last year's game too (does anyone else? Or am I getting old and my memory fading?). Even throughout the first half with the lead, it felt a lot like last year's game, with Sanchez carving up our secondary and our offense missing opportunities that would come back to haunt us.

Halftime adjustments weren't there. Since O'Brien took over as de facto OC, there haven't been good halftime adjustments on the offensive side. But the defensive adjustments didn't work either, and BB has to take that responsibility. The second half slides are a troubling trend, but we used to always do well in this area. I'm not sure what the answer is here, but I'm convinced we can address it.

The offense lost several games last year in the 2nd half, by not converting key 3rd downs or not closing out games.

Today was similar. The 2nd half was almost all 3-and-outs for the offense, and left the defense out there to fry.

Someone in another thread showed that last year 2/3 of the Patriots' points were scored in the 1st half and only 1/3 in the 2nd half, a far departure from the 50/50 split over the past 10 years. This season, small sample size but it's up to 75%/25%.

Any skilled defensive coordinator is going to continue to eat us alive until O'Brien learns that play calling is a lot more like playing poker than it is about relying on just execution. This team has a very real issue with getting outplayed in the 2nd half of games.

The talent excuse doesn't cut it anymore. One can't throw the tight ends and 3rd receiver under the bus, like they were used last year as scapegoats. This year's offense has 3 legit tight ends, plus more talented receivers after Moss and Welker. The issue isn't talent, but play calling which has an influence on ability to execute.

This.

O'Brien is clearly and issue here.

Why not make Dante Scarneccia the OC? He's been here forever. He performs miracles with the o-line. He could not be worse than O'Brien.

Halftime adjustments weren't there. Since O'Brien took over as de facto OC, there haven't been good halftime adjustments on the offensive side. But the defensive adjustments didn't work either, and BB has to take that responsibility. The second half slides are a troubling trend, but we used to always do well in this area. I'm not sure what the answer is here, but I'm convinced we can address it.

It's amazing to me that there are still posters here yelling that it's a talent issue. They were throwing TE's and receivers under the bus last year, and I guess since it worked then, they're trying it now too.

This team has great 1st half stats on both offense and defense, including 2009 when there was a ton of turnover and supposedly huge holes talent-wise.

You can't explain the significant 2nd half drop-offs by blaming it on lack of talent. The exact same players that were playing well earlier in the game, are playing significantly worse in the 2nd half of games. To dismiss any possibility of this due to poor 2nd half adjustments, just seems odd to me. It's almost as if some of these posters have a vested interest in blindly defending the play calling (almost as if they are family members of the staff...)

Last edited:
We have B-I-N-G-O.

It makes complete sense. Bill Belichick puts together good game plans during the week, and the Patriots usually start out strong in games, but once the game starts he can't be in 4 places at once. He's only one man. Belichick is stretched so thin, it's clear that in the 2nd half of games the guys working under him are simply getting out-classed.

1) The oiffense did not take advantage of the opportunities they had in the first half to score more.

and

2) They scored ZERO in the second half.

The defense was very bad; but we knew there would be days like this, but if the offense had done as well in the second half as the first, the jets would not have time to score what they scored, and even if they did, they might have been playing overtime.

The BOTTOM LINE as in times last year is that the defense needed help from the offense for the ENTIRE GAME, not just the first half. We're supposed to ahve one of best and most explosive offenses in the nfl. ZERO in the second half is an aweful performance, especially given all the added toys that Belichick secured for Brady.

Kudos to Dante; the offensive line played fine against a top defense, even without two of last year's starters.

All too true, my friend. I'm telling you, it's time for Tommy to tell G-girl to pack up the kids and go to Brazil for the winter because at times it appears he's losing the 'it' factor faster than Gisele can change her Victoria Secret lingerie on debut night.

This.

O'Brien is clearly and issue here.

Why not make Dante Scarneccia the OC? He's been here forever. He performs miracles with the o-line. He could not be worse than O'Brien.

Yes and the defense sucks so let's fire Bill

I don't want to stand next to Bill Belichek and advise him in practice. I don't want to tell his offense or defense what to do. What I want to do is make them realize what they have and what they're doing. Football is all about hunger and intensity. Which means you have to have something to play for. I agree they did the same thing yesterday that they did all last year. It's aggrevating.
First a team plays to win a championship. Then to repeat. Then to become a Dynasty. We've done all that and it was great. What this team seems to need to realize or remember is that there is still one major goal out there, as goals are supposed to be more rewarding as you go along. They have the ability as few team do to be considered the Absolute Best Team in NFL HIstory. If they win two more championships in the next five years they will have five in fifteen years. That will always give them consideration as the Best Team Ever. Now to me that's more important in the end than accomplishing any of the other three goals. which were great. I just hope that this team realizes that there is still a reason for the intensity and hunger to be there. Given that, I trust their day to day operations wish they could be coupled with a new determination

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back