PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Offense Played Like Last Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second, I just find it hard to believe that the same braintrust that puts together a very effective gameplan can't adjust to changes made by the opposition. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.
The initial gameplan can be concocted over a week's timeframe, at their relative leisure, at least during the time when BB seemingly doesn't sleep much.

During the actual game, they have very little time to make changes and, in fact, may struggle to do so without that leasure time.

Some people simply are unable to work when the darts are flying. I think our OC is such a guy.

The execution excuse is dead.
It was repeatedly used last year, and the supposed lack of talent at tight end and 3rd WR were blamed.

This year, that excuse doesn't fly anymore. The team is loaded at tight end and has multiple good receivers behind Moss and Welker.

Last year, 2/3 of the Patriots' points were scored in the 1st half, and 1/3 came in the 2nd half. Several games were lost last year by the offense because of total meltdowns in the 2nd half.

This year, it's early but 75% of points are in the 1st half, 25% in the 2nd half.

This is clearly an issue with play calling and adjustments, not talent or execution. It's not like Tom Brady suddenly becomes a crappier player in the 2nd half of games.

Tom doesn't, but I wouldn't be so quick to absolve the other 10... All it takes is one or two of them missing an assignment or cutting off a route or not getting off the jam or simply dropping or bobbling a ball or whatever and nothing he does matters.

Tom doesn't, but I wouldn't be so quick to absolve the other 10... All it takes is one or two of them missing an assignment or cutting off a route or not getting off the jam or simply dropping or bobbling a ball or whatever and nothing he does matters.

Over an entire season? There is already evidence from last year that there is a dramatic difference in offensive productivity from the 1st half to 2nd half.

That is silly to think players suddenly can't execute in the 2nd half of games, when they played well in the 1st half of the same game. The pattern is clearly there, the productivity definitely drops off in the 2nd half of games.

I just don't understand why some so desperately keep clinging on to the execution excuse, without acknowledging that play calling is an issue and is linked to execution.

I swear, some of you must be family members of people working in the Patriots organization, the way you continue to blindly defend the play calling no matter what...

It makes complete sense. Bill Belichick puts together good game plans during the week, and the Patriots usually start out strong in games, but once the game starts he can't be in 4 places at once. He's only one man. Belichick is stretched so thin, it's clear that in the 2nd half of games the guys working under him are simply getting out-classed.

Here's what I think. I think people are blaming the one person who doesn't have a face. People know BB - he's a genius, it can't be his fault. People know Tom - he's a hero, it can't be his fault. Bill O'Brien is just a name on which people can pin any shortcoming the offense may have. I submit to you that the players on the field have an awful lot to do with it, and that one player in particular -- the QB--should be looked at when an offense can't move the ball at all over 30 minutes of football. Making off target throws at key moments killed this team last year on the road, in the playoffs against the Ravens, and again today. Of course, it is not all TB's fault. It's a team game. But, he has a lot to do with it.

Here's what I think. I think people are blaming the one person who doesn't have a face. People know BB - he's a genius, it can't be his fault. People know Tom - he's a hero, it can't be his fault. Bill O'Brien is just a name on which people can pin any shortcoming the offense may have. I submit to you that the players on the field have an awful lot to do with it, and that one player in particular -- the QB--should be looked at when an offense can't move the ball at all over 30 minutes of football. Making off target throws at key moments killed this team last year on the road, in the playoffs against the Ravens, and again today. Of course, it is not all TB's fault. It's a team game. But, he has a lot to do with it.
Every player sucks on certain days, even the best of the best.
Today we lost because Mark Sanchez played better than Tom Brady.
I would imagine in 100 games that wouldn't happen more than 5 times.
When we lost to the Bills in 2003, I rewatched that game, and came to one simple conclusion, the primary reason we lost was Tom Brady. He was awful that day. He was today too. I'm fine that it happens, because it happens to everyone. It just happens to him a lot less than everyone else.

A big reason we lost is because of the playcalling... The Pats ran when they should have not been... SO many runs for losses put Brady in too much do or die situations. losts of 3rd and 7+ situations because the Pats insisted on handing the ball to our runninbacks. I think we are better off passing every down, screens at least because those WORK. how come I saw no screens in the 3rd or 4th too? welker got taken out completly.

I would imagine in 100 games that wouldn't happen more than 5 times.
When we lost to the Bills in 2003, I rewatched that game, and came to one simple conclusion, the primary reason we lost was Tom Brady. He was awful that day. He was today too. I'm fine that it happens, because it happens to everyone. It just happens to him a lot less than everyone else.

Well, in three games against the Jets, it's happened twice. Since the injury the trend is that he is inaccurate in key moments and is incapable of leading a comeback--or even of scoring--in the second half of road games. 1-7 in the last 8 road games says it all. He gets a mulligan last year for his first year back from surgery, but this was a bad start to 2010.

Brady has never had outstanding accuracy north-south. He's outstanding in just about everything else about passing (throwing on the run is not a strength, but it's not one he has to try). But that's a RELATIVE weakness.

We now have 18 recent games of data that clearly show this offense plays significantly worse in the 2nd half of games.

Tom Brady is now 1-8 in his last 8 road games.

It's a very weird argument to say that execution all of the sudden becomes worse in the 2nd half of games, without attributing blame to play calling or the coaching staff under Belichick.

It seems reasonable to at least ask the question, about whether his assistants are being out-classed. This team seems to start strong in games, and gets outplayed after halftime. It is becoming a recurring pattern that has nothing to do with a lazy "execution" explanation.

Last edited:
Frustrating thing:

Last year they did not have the tools to succeed. They had two receivers capable of catching the ball.

This year they have so many capable playmakers it should be a matter of who makes they play.

Frustrating thing:

Last year they did not have the tools to succeed. They had two receivers capable of catching the ball.

This year they have so many capable playmakers it should be a matter of who makes they play.

This is why it's becoming increasingly obvious that it isn't a talent or execution issue. The poor 2nd half performances, especially on the offense, are due to being out-classed in terms of 2nd half adjustments, which is a play calling issue.

Tom Brady is now 1-8 in his last 8 road games. The offense once again did almost nothing but 3-and-outs for the last 30 minutes of the game.

We now have 18 recent games of data that clearly show this offense plays significantly worse in the 2nd half of games.

Tom Brady is now 1-8 in his last 8 road games.

It's a very weird argument to say that execution all of the sudden becomes worse in the 2nd half of games, without attributing blame to play calling or the coaching staff under Belichick.

It seems reasonable to at least ask the question, about whether his assistants are being out-classed. This team seems to start strong in games, and gets outplayed after halftime. It is becoming a recurring pattern that has nothing to do with a lazy "execution" explanation.
Why is game plan or play call more likely than execution?
And why is execution a "lazy" explanation?
Players make plays.
I don't know which it is, but I know that today, the offense was in position to make plays that woulld have led to a win and they failed to.
I'm not arguing against that it has anything to do with coaching, but today we lost because Tom Brady played an awful 2nd half.
The play call didnt say heave it to Moss because Welker was covered when no one was around.
The play call didnt tell Brady to not be aware of the backside rush on 1st and 10 at the 16. Maybe a high standard, but one Brady is usually up to.
The play call didnt tell Brady to throw a jump ball to Moss....to under throw Gronk....
I love Brady, and I think he is the GOAT, but there are games when he is bad and we lose because of it, which makes him just like every other QB ever, except it happens less with him. That doesnt mean we should be blind to it when it does.

Failing to hire coordinators--in this league--is a telling quality of a doofus. (Failing to see such doofusness is also a sign of a doofus.)
And acting like a doofus is a sure sign of a doofus. (Check the mirror)

Does anyone remember the insane record the Patriots had with a halftime lead up until around 2008? It was something like 85-2, and 85-1 with a lead any time in the 4th quarter. Obvious statistical aberration as well. The point is, perhaps teams just psychologically understand how to win or lose games, and in this case, perhaps, the cliche suggests, they don't know how to win on the road.

Does anyone remember the insane record the Patriots had with a halftime lead up until around 2008? It was something like 85-2, and 85-1 with a lead any time in the 4th quarter. Obvious statistical aberration as well. The point is, perhaps teams just psychologically understand how to win or lose games, and in this case, perhaps, the cliche suggests, they don't know how to win on the road.
Thats the $1,000,000 question.
We won Championships with less talented teams that played their best at the most critical point in the game, and did not with more talented teams that did not play their best with the game in the balance. (Although I think that ability is a large part of the 'talent' of a team, intangible as it is)
It happened today. When we were winning Championships, it wasn't that we always got the stop we needed on D when we needed or the score on O when we needed it, but EVERY TIME we failed to do so, the other unit came through and gave the second chance and we did it.
If the O failed the D got them the ball back and the O came through.
If the D failed the O matched it and the D came through on the 2nd chance.
The D gave it back a couple of time today, to get the lead back or at least tie, the O failed then the D failed again.
Is that an inherent feature in the team, or something that you build throughout a season?

Thats the $1,000,000 question.
We won Championships with less talented teams that played their best at the most critical point in the game, and did not with more talented teams that did not play their best with the game in the balance. (Although I think that ability is a large part of the 'talent' of a team, intangible as it is)
It happened today. When we were winning Championships, it wasn't that we always got the stop we needed on D when we needed or the score on O when we needed it, but EVERY TIME we failed to do so, the other unit came through and gave the second chance and we did it.
If the O failed the D got them the ball back and the O came through.
If the D failed the O matched it and the D came through on the 2nd chance.
The D gave it back a couple of time today, to get the lead back or at least tie, the O failed then the D failed again.
Is that an inherent feature in the team, or something that you build throughout a season?

It's cyclical. The old Patriots teams used to get leads and put faith in the defense. They'd move the ball and eat clock, but they'd be okay punting for a field position advantage. This offense is not built to eat the clock, but in addition they are impatient, perhaps in part because they don't trust the defense. Today was a good example. They try to hard to deliver the knockout blow with a huge play. The offense needs to just take what they're given and chip away at yardage instead of looking for a 60-yard game breaker. I can think of several games last year- at Indy, at Miami, at Houston- where Brady had a lead late in the game and decided to air it out with low-percentage bombs rather than play the short game.

So many times in professional sports, it looks like teams just aren't trying or just don't get it because they keep repeating the same mistakes. The Patriots do get it and they are trying- too hard- to win these games. They start overanalyzing and trying to overcompensate, rather than just playing their game. Had they stuck with what was working today, we'd be singing a different tune tonight.

We won Championships with less talented teams that played their best at the most critical point in the game, and did not with more talented teams that did not play their best with the game in the balance.

How is this not at least partly coaching related? The offense has significantly worse 2nd half production going back 18 games now. Tom Brady is not 1 for 8 in his last 8 road games. It's not like Brady or all the other players just suddenly play worse in the 2nd half, it's due to losing out in the adjustments chess match.

Bill Belichick can't be doing 4 things at once, and it clearly affects the games after the team starts strong in the 1st half with a week of preparation.

Just looked up the "playbook" on nfl.com.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54890/NYJ_Gamebook.pdf

Brady was 20 of 36 overall, but only two for 10 going to Moss (so, 18 for 26 going to others). Undoubtedly a lot of this is the low-percentage nature of deep passes -- but you know these are low percentage going into things, right?

I believe "TAR" is the stat for attempts to a receiver?:
Moss: TAR 10; Compl. 2
Hernandez: 6/6
Welker: 7/6
Gronk: 2/1
Edelman: 2/1

Passer rating:
Brady to Moss: 36.6
Brady to others: 106.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back