PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our offense is so predictable at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If teams who actually have decent defensive lines especially teams with good and big nose tackles on teams like Miami,Denver,Chicago ect: all realize at this time the playbook on the offense of the New England Patriots is very predictable and easy to beat by loading up the box with 6-8 guys leaving our receivers 1 on 1 and that is the recipe to stop the run and put pressure on Brady to throw to less than average receivers which is what it is at this point in the season and will tend to make NE struggle to score points thus a better chance to beat the Patriots.​
I love and breathe the Patriots as much as any Pats fan here but the playbook right now simply sucks and our receivers are still not connecting with Brady and now 5 weeks into the season,Brady to Gabriel today was like 1 out of 8 completions,even short yard out passes were flat incomplete.​
I don't know how many weeks the 'Homies' on here expect the receivers and QB to have time to gel - It appears its not gonna happen anytime soon unless we either trade for a well known good receiver who can learn our system FAST or we just play mediocre to bad defensive teams this year who are bad against the run to get our wins which has been the result so far.​
You gotta wonder as the season progresses if Brady will actually get a 300 yard game this year,He truly needs one like that to open our eyes against the fact that we can't win with just a great running game at times-we need both parts to compliment each other,this team is in need of that badly - Let's face it,Brady is the best QB in the league but he is no magician-He can't pull a rabbit out of a hat when the hat is empty,he needs much more help from the receivers which I have yet to see.​
If you are an opposing team and have a decent to great offense AND completely slow down the Patriots run game you will beat the Patriots 95% of the time the way it looks so far,Only Denver qualified as that team that could put that all together,Until we face Chicago in a few weeks :( - Boy am I glad we have a ridiculous easy overall schedule of teams that are poor against the run to play this year,otherwise we would be in great danger of losing the season which is not likely as the division title is a gimme at this time unless we lose both Brady and Seymour.​
Miami's whole offense is much worse than ours that is why a 200 yard offensive day by us was a winning result which is an EXTREMELY RARE EVENT,it simply does not happen often like that in Pro Football-200 yd offensive performances usually end in a loss-we were lucky it was Miami we played today.​
However on the brighter and positive side of things,we are 4-1 which is very good and a bye week even better,Brady and his receivers need all 13 days to prepare for the rest of the season to get thier act together,I hope I am wrong but see nothing remotely close to say its gonna get much better,Last week against Cincy the running game covered our deficiencies in the passing game,Today it reared as UGLY as possible for a winning team's offensive unit.​

Call me a homer, but I think Chad Jackson is going to make a big difference in the offense in the 2nd half of the season. Even though he didn't make a catch today and the 2 catches he made in the Cincy game were in garbage time, I've noticed that when he is in on a pass play, someone happens to get open. Which isn't happening as much as when he's not on the field. Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited:
FYI: Brady's already had a 300-yd game this year. Against Denver, no less.

Frankly, I am done with the Chad Jackson hype.

edgecy said:
Exactly...i keep hearing , why he is not in the game and and people jumping off their seats when he is active...frankly..he hasnt done much and i dont look at him as a saviour or anything...if he was good enough right now he would be seeing more snaps than gabriel..for whatever reason everyone is high on this guy just because of his college exploits and mini camp performance...

IMHO, the two that will improve the most are Gabriel and Caldwell. We don't need more than Gabriel, Caldwell and Brown as wide receivers, as long as we have Faulk and the TE's to throw to also. Jackson may or may not be a significant factor in the second half.

BradyManny2344 said:
Call me a homer, but I think Chad Jackson is going to make a big difference in the offense in the 2nd half of the season. Even though he didn't make a catch today and the 2 catches he made in the Cincy game were in garbage time, I've noticed that when he is in on a pass play, someone happens to get open. Which isn't happening as much as when he's not on the field. Anyone else seeing this?

PATRIOT64 said:
If teams who actually have decent defensive lines especially teams with good and big nose tackles on teams like Miami,Denver,Chicago ect: all realize at this time the playbook on the offense of the New England Patriots is very predictable and easy to beat by loading up the box with 6-8 guys leaving our receivers 1 on 1 and that is the recipe to stop the run and put pressure on Brady to throw to less than average receivers which is what it is at this point in the season and will tend to make NE struggle to score points thus a better chance to beat the Patriots.​
I love and breathe the Patriots as much as any Pats fan here but the playbook right now simply sucks and our receivers are still not connecting with Brady and now 5 weeks into the season,Brady to Gabriel today was like 1 out of 8 completions,even short yard out passes were flat incomplete.​
I don't know how many weeks the 'Homies' on here expect the receivers and QB to have time to gel - It appears its not gonna happen anytime soon unless we either trade for a well known good receiver who can learn our system FAST or we just play mediocre to bad defensive teams this year who are bad against the run to get our wins which has been the result so far.​
You gotta wonder as the season progresses if Brady will actually get a 300 yard game this year,He truly needs one like that to open our eyes against the fact that we can't win with just a great running game at times-we need both parts to compliment each other,this team is in need of that badly - Let's face it,Brady is the best QB in the league but he is no magician-He can't pull a rabbit out of a hat when the hat is empty,he needs much more help from the receivers which I have yet to see.​
If you are an opposing team and have a decent to great offense AND completely slow down the Patriots run game you will beat the Patriots 95% of the time the way it looks so far,Only Denver qualified as that team that could put that all together,Until we face Chicago in a few weeks :( - Boy am I glad we have a ridiculous easy overall schedule of teams that are poor against the run to play this year,otherwise we would be in great danger of losing the season which is not likely as the division title is a gimme at this time unless we lose both Brady and Seymour.​
Miami's whole offense is much worse than ours that is why a 200 yard offensive day by us was a winning result which is an EXTREMELY RARE EVENT,it simply does not happen often like that in Pro Football-200 yd offensive performances usually end in a loss-we were lucky it was Miami we played today.​
However on the brighter and positive side of things,we are 4-1 which is very good and a bye week even better,Brady and his receivers need all 13 days to prepare for the rest of the season to get thier act together,I hope I am wrong but see nothing remotely close to say its gonna get much better,Last week against Cincy the running game covered our deficiencies in the passing game,Today it reared as UGLY as possible for a winning team's offensive unit.​

Brady passed for over 300 yds. vs. Denver. That shows how meaningless that statistic is.

The reason he had so many yards last year is all our running backs were injured. I'll guarantee you we have a much better balanced attack this year when it counts.

Total yards are meaningless. Did we move the ball and score when we needed to? Did Miami? We won by ten and kneeled with first and goal on the one.

Maroney, Dillon, Faulk,Watson, Graham, Thomas, Evans and maybe Mills. That's a lot of weapons to incorporate. Add three new receivers and Troy Brown and tell me we don't have weapons?

I imagine you've watched us struggle early and win Super Bowls with much less talent on offense.

Why not learn from the past instead of the same nervous Nellie stuff every time a team comes within 20 points of us?

4-1. 3 division wins. So much talent on offense we can't figure how to use it all yet. And a bye week to work out the kinks.

We're not built for fantasy yardage crowns here.

The one who might have to worry is Peyton. Just sliding by this time of year is not a good omen for those front runners.

mgteich said:
IMHO, the two that will improve the most are Gabriel and Caldwell. We don't need more than Gabriel, Caldwell and Brown as wide receivers, as long as we have Faulk and the TE's to throw to also. Jackson may or may not be a significant factor in the second half.

Caldwell doesn't seem to be able to get open save for some good short routes for first downs. I can see him becoming a Givens type, a good guy to look to on 3rd and short passes.

But CJ, whether at the end of this year or however long it takes for wide receivers to develop, he's going to be nasty.

Last edited:
edgecy said:
I believe Chad Jackson was wide open on a Brady pass today thrown to him..I think this was the only play he was in and the only one he got a chance to grab and he dropped it,no excuse there,it appeared to be an easy catch..We can not count on him being a factor this year with the spot duty they are giving him..If you are expecting Chad to even come remotely close to resembling a break away game threat save your hopes for next year -Obviously BB and staff think this is a learning year for him as maybe he is a bit immature or lazy in practice to put him in there more-That is what it looks like to me,otherwise he would be in there more - Those who are expecting anywhere near a 100 yard game from Chad this year are as big a 'Homie' as you can get - Gabriel,Troy and Reche will be receivers 1 2 3 with Watson getting more receptions the more we proceed into the season unless we trade somehow with another team to get someone else which looks very unlikely,Chad will be lucky to see 300 yards in his rookie season the way it looks now unless one of the top 3 get hurt.

well duha .... yeah .... when PATs play a very good defense they will have
difficulty on offense.
But guess what .... that doesn't ,mean they lose.

No matter what Miami's record is they have a very good defense.
Even Saban talked about them coming together this week and playing
team defense.

The way PATs win in these tight games is to play good defense and take
advantage of any mistakes they make.

If PATs run up against a very good defense that has a good offense then
at this point they would be stressed to win ... but not impossible.
The Bears may be such a team but that game is SEVEN weeks from now. By
then this offense may very well be able to do better against that very
good defense. But it won't be easy.

PATs receivers are good .. if Jackson can ever get on same page as Brady
then I they would be as good as ever. Right now they miss the play
making ability of Branch when playing very good defenses. But it is not
over ...I see them with much upside and still evolving.

The good part is ... that while they are becoming the team they will
be ... they are winning!:D

BTW, when the receivers and Brady get their dynamic adjustments down so
they are in sync and that part of the game can be trusted then they
will move a different level than they are now. It will happen.

Be optimistic .... it's only 5 weeks and PATs are 4-1 and improving. Can't
you see it?

Last edited:
PATRIOT64 said:
I believe Chad Jackson was wide open on a Brady pass today thrown to him..I think this was the only play he was in and the only one he got a chance to grab and he dropped it,no excuse there,it appeared to be an easy catch.

Actually, truth is, there was a DB draped on him who knocked it out of his hands, and it would've been a rather nice catch had he been able to hold on. But, people see what they want...

JR4 said:
Be optimistic .... it's only 5 weeks and PATs are 4-1 and improving. Can't
you see it?

No, I expect them to rout their opponents every week. :rolleyes:

The one point I'll agree with and I think most will also, is that the playcalling isn't the greatest.....I'm not sure if Mcdaniels is a top level Coordinator in the NFL.......I just don't see the neccessary adjustments, or the progression...I mean he's not calling the kind of plays that help's the offense build confidence and to get into a rhythym....Did we run a screen pass all night...I mean Maroney isd the perfect guy to call that play for...I mean Dillion has his strengths, but I think Maroney should get his hands on those balls.......I really think Gabriel can be a solid contributor along with Caldwell as a true #3 WR, and I still have confidence that Jackson can be a solid contributor this year.....The one thing though that I'm really starting to recognize is that we are missing a good Offensive Coordinator...I feel if Weiss was here or someone of his caliber, they would have had this offense running more efficient and not exposing it as much as Mcdaniels has these games!!!

RayClay said:
Brady passed for over 300 yds. vs. Denver. That shows how meaningless that statistic is.

The reason he had so many yards last year is all our running backs were injured. I'll guarantee you we have a much better balanced attack this year when it counts.

Total yards are meaningless. Did we move the ball and score when we needed to? Did Miami? We won by ten and kneeled with first and goal on the one.

Maroney, Dillon, Faulk,Watson, Graham, Thomas, Evans and maybe Mills. That's a lot of weapons to incorporate. Add three new receivers and Troy Brown and tell me we don't have weapons?

I imagine you've watched us struggle early and win Super Bowls with much less talent on offense.

Why not learn from the past instead of the same nervous Nellie stuff every time a team comes within 20 points of us?

4-1. 3 division wins. So much talent on offense we can't figure how to use it all yet. And a bye week to work out the kinks.

We're not built for fantasy yardage crowns here.

The one who might have to worry is Peyton. Just sliding by this time of year is not a good omen for those front runners.
Yeah I guess that 300 yard game did happen but I should have said a WINNING 300 yard game - Any QB who has to pass over 50 times in 1 game better have at least 300 yards - I know we won on teams with less depth but apparently this WR thing is harder to overcome than average play in other ares in the past....I guess time will tell,but I am realistic and not going to become the homer type who never sees anything wrong even after a win.
The way I see it,when the pats win I give compliments and how they can play even better in areas where they looked only so-so,When they lose I give reasons why and where the cause for the loss came and how we can improve the next game in that failed area(s)..Thats the way I think it should be from a real fan of any NFL team,there will be good and bad things to say in just about EVERY game in every week for this team and thats makes for good old fashioned unbiased assessment.​

PATRIOT64 said:
Yeah I guess that 300 yard game did happen but I should have said a WINNING 300 yard game - Any QB who has to pass over 50 times in 1 game better have at least 300 yards - I know we won on teams with less depth but apparently this WR thing is harder to overcome than average play in other ares in the past....I guess time will tell,but I am realistic and not going to become the homer type who never sees anything wrong even after a win.
The way I see it,when the pats win I give compliments and how they can play even better in areas where they looked only so-so,When they lose I give reasons why and where the cause for the loss came and how we can improve the next game in that failed area(s)..Thats the way I think it should be from a real fan of any NFL team,there will be good and bad things to say in just about EVERY game in every week for this team and thats makes for good old fashioned unbiased assessment.​

So they lost????:confused:

Seriously, if you would read some threads here and post in them instead of starting a new thread every time a thought comes into your head, you might learn something about how a team wins three Super Bowls.

You see a team with a succesful first 5 games and room to improve and you think their wins were all flukes because they didn't hit some statistical threshold you have in your head.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
No matter what Miami's record is they have a very good defense.

No kidding. They were one of the top defenses in the league statistically coming into the game. And, more to the point, a defense that has consistently made Tom Brady look bad.

Sometimes I think Pats fans tend to forget that the other team gets paid to play, too. It's only been a few years since the 2001 season. Have we all forgotten how hard it is to win games in the NFL?

Personally, I'm not jumpin' off the Tobin after a kneal-down win against a division rival.

And you might notice, Miami's been able to "predict" our offense for quite a few years.

Lucky we had a better ouija board than them today.:D

SCPatBoy said:
The one point I'll agree with and I think most will also, is that the playcalling isn't the greatest.....I'm not sure if Mcdaniels is a top level Coordinator in the NFL.......I just don't see the neccessary adjustments, or the progression...I mean he's not calling the kind of plays that help's the offense build confidence and to get into a rhythym..........

Miami is not a team you want to screen agaisnt IMO. there too smart.
Listen to some of BB's press conferences. They have a bunch of plays they
could bring to the game but many are thrown out because Tom is not
comfortable with them. Tom has a lot to do with what plays will be available
in the game. if He is doesn't think his receivers can handle a play with a high
degree of confidence ...then it is out. McDaniels only has to work with what
Brady ultimately says he's confortable with. Don't put it all on Josh.

I'll post this on all these silly threads, just because of how extremely silly I think all of this discussion is. A comparison of today against Charlie Weis' last 3 efforts against the Miami Dolphins:

Stats against Dolphins:

Today:

Result: Win 20-10
1st Downs: 17
Total Net Yards: 213
Average Gain per Play: 3.3

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...ge=nfl/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=1855

Weis:

2004 Game 1
Result: Win 24-10
1st Downs: 14
Total net yards: 204
Average Gain per play: 3.5

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...ge=nfl/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=1173

2004 Game 2
Result: Loss 29-28
1st Downs: 24
Total net yards: 322
Average Gain per play: 4.7
Note: Offense immolates and loses game in last 5 minutes with multiple turnovers. 4 picks for Brady in the game

http://146.145.120.3/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=globe&page=nfl/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=1334

2003 Game 2
Result: Won 12-0
1st Downs: 13
Total Net yards: 228
Average Gain Per Play: 3.4

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...age=nfl/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=981

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back