PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our offense is close to complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had excellent offensive personnel in 2009 and were one of the top 5 offenses in the league.

1) The HUGE hole in 2009 was the lack of a quality #2 receiver. We had a #1 receiver and two slot receivers. Brady needed the additional target.

2) I thought the playcalling was aweful. However, the reality may have been the offense was linited by Brady's health, the OL injuries and the lack of a #2 receiver.

BOTTOM LINE
The offense could done more. They could have been the #1 offense or the #2 or the #3. However, it is difficult to mask the weakness of the defensive backfield compared to the good old days (it is getting better). It is difficult to mask the weakness at LB and DE, and in the passrush. It is difficult to mask the lack of leadershiop on the defensive side of the ball (from players or coaches). The debacle with regard to the lack of production of a very talented Thomas is but one example. The idea that Wright could replace Seymour with no negative effects on the defense is another.

What if the offense commits turnovers and leaves the defense hung out to dry?

the current scheme suffers from predictability......even though it has some dynamic (big play) ability, teams have regularly removed that capacity, and when they do, the offense goes south.

I don't see why brady has to be given free reign to try to make big plays with the ball thrown 40 yards or more.......with his experience and vision (I believe his ability to see the field gets wasted in this scheme), the pats should be spreading the ball around much, much more......

the old scheme (under weis) gave the pats the opportunity to put up 300 yards against the toughest defenses with the best CB's.......now it seems it takes one good man to man CB to shut this offense down

for all the numbers that welker puts up, generally speaking, the pats really only put up alot of points when the long game is working.

on top of that, given the question marks around the defense, the offense is going to have to do better at controlling the ball and keeping the defense off the field

I agree that we need better offensive schemes, better play-calling and better game plans.

the current scheme suffers from predictability......even though it has some dynamic (big play) ability, teams have regularly removed that capacity, and when they do, the offense goes south.

I don't see why brady has to be given free reign to try to make big plays with the ball thrown 40 yards or more.......with his experience and vision (I believe his ability to see the field gets wasted in this scheme), the pats should be spreading the ball around much, much more......

the old scheme (under weis) gave the pats the opportunity to put up 300 yards against the toughest defenses with the best CB's.......now it seems it takes one good man to man CB to shut this offense down

for all the numbers that welker puts up, generally speaking, the pats really only put up alot of points when the long game is working.

on top of that, given the question marks around the defense, the offense is going to have to do better at controlling the ball and keeping the defense off the field

Last edited:
By "offense is almost complete" you mean "offense is almost complete minus the skilled postions(WR/TE/RB) that are arguably the hardest to evaluate going from College to the NFL?

What?

Are offense isn't even close to complete...

We have no TE's, no real WR's after Moss/Edelman, and no real starting RB...

Last I counted, we have about 24 roster spots on offense. As you indicate below, and as I indiacted in the initial post, we have 2 holes at TE, 1-2 at WR and 1 at RB. That's five holes to fill. That's not a lot. Some would argue that one of our Practice Squad tight ends will likely make the team as the blocking tight end.

What?

Are offense isn't even close to complete...

We have no TE's, no real WR's after Moss/Edelman, and no real starting RB...

Last edited:
I would like an offense that converts 4 and 2.
Scores a FG to beat Miami.
Scores a FG to beat Denver.

I'm not asking for much. :mad:

Last I counted, we have about 24 roster spots on offense. As you indicate below, and as I indiacted in the initial post, we have 2 holes at TE, 1-2 at WR and 1 at RB. That's five holes to fill. That's not a lot. Some would argue that one of our Practice Squad tight ends will likely make the team as the blocking tight end.

You seem to be making the assumption that everyone you listed will make the roster.

We have a couple of high priority needs imo.

We need a DE/OLB, OG and 2 TEs, WR.

There is no use getting a WR if Brady isn't getting enough time in the pocket.

The lack of a pass rush was where all our defensive problems came from last year.

We have Moss and Edelman so we only need one more starting wideout.

I'm not. I am simply saying that we will have a very good offense when we fill the five holes (2 WR, 2 TE and a RB) and this is a reasobably short list for free agency.

With regard to roster spots, there is always the possibility that players will be beat out in camp. Upgrades are good!

You seem to be making the assumption that everyone you listed will make the roster.

Assuming Tate develops into something, which I pray with every fiber of my body he does, we might be pretty close with a RB/TE/WR/C/RG [draft/FA]in the next two years.

If we can get a #1 WR (maybe with magical unicorn dust Tate can evolve into one), we could have ??/Tate/Welker/Edelman.

Then all we need is an OC who can utilize talent.

This is just me being a ridiculous optimist with Tate though, I had high hopes for him. This [possible] Bodden signing has me hoping for the best though.

Last edited:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I honestly feel the best possible move for this team at this point in time, and for the future would be to sign Marshall to an offer sheet. There is no player in this draft that will be available at #22 that could provide such a valuable impact to this team as Marshall could. I realize you're taking a risk with his previous history, but in my opinion it's no more of a risk than an unproven 1st round pick.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I honestly feel the best possible move for this team at this point in time, and for the future would be to sign Marshall to an offer sheet. There is no player in this draft that will be available at #22 that could provide such a valuable impact to this team as Marshall could. I realize you're taking a risk with his previous history, but in my opinion it's no more of a risk than an unproven 1st round pick.

I agree--if Belichick thinks he can get Marshall to do a 180 attitude-wise with the Patriots. That's a big 'if'.

Tom Brady back to pre-injury form throwing to Moss, Marshall, and eventually Welker would be completely sick.

The risk:reward ratio is huge with Marshall, it either pays of and you're golden or you lose a first to McD and are stuck with a huge contract with an unhappy player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back