PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our offense is close to complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have FOUR obvious holes at WR, RB, TE and backup TE that will likely be filled in free agency in next six weeks. This is not a large laundry list. The other TWENTY-ONE players could be upgraded, or they could be ready to play in a few weeks without addition.
==========

OFFENSE (25)
QB Brady, Hoyer, Stanback/Rowe
RB Taylor, Maroney, OPEN, Morris, Green-Ellis
OL Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer
Kaczur, Connolly, Levoir, Ohrnberger/Bussey/Wendell
TE OPEN, OPEN
WR Moss, OPEN, Edelman, Tate/Patten, Aiken, Slater

PUP Welker

Last edited:
We need another strong WR for Brady. Via trade or draft

when does the season start?

I wouldn't mind a solid BLOCKING OG in the mix as well.

it seems so obvious and could be fixed or it could not be addressed like last season and we still have major problems. just like the passrush was bandaided with tissue paper.

While I have no problem in upgrading at OG, I think that Neal is a fine blocking OG. If we need a guard next year, we'll draft one.

BTW, I could see us going into the draft with ZERO 2010 needs on the offense. That doesn't mean that we won't draft future offensive contributers. We just may no NEED to do so.

I wouldn't mind a solid BLOCKING OG in the mix as well.

Last edited:
Our starting OL is pretty much set with the retention of Neal. However that doesn't mean it couldn't use some upgrading. Koppen is particularly weak at the point of attack and needs frequent help. Teams have enjoyed a lot of success blitzing right up the gut of our OL. When Maroney is left in there to pass block, it gets even uglier. So getting a versatile guy for depth who could play either C or G at a high level would be ideal.

e030cd2e9902b50f98556b4f0836e2369.jpg

The Pats RB platoon is also ancient or injury prone, or both. Infusing new blood into the mix in a draft that looks like it is 5 or 6 good backs deep would be a good idea.

The #2 WR woes continue for the Pats. Welker's return time frame is uncertain. I think we address this position with a veteran and a rookie. I don't think we necessarily need to spend a 1st round pick though. I'd take a few shots in the mid rounds and see if the Pats can pull another Edelman or Givens out of their hats.

The offense looks far from complete. there's some spackling to be done and holes that still need filling. But I don't think the problems are as dire as some people are making it out to be either.

Last edited:
i would say we have TWO holes at WR...

and obviously TWO holes at TE, but that doesnt really matter, cuz we dont seem to liek throwing the ball to TE's, so we might as well just put anohter OL in there

and i would also agree I want a rookie RB, thereby well have maroney, this rookie, BJGE, and hopefully faulk and drop morris/taylor

QB- Set
RB- Sign Faulk. Find Shon Greene
TE- Need 2 (blocker & catcher)
OL-I guess we are ok, but could use a RT and a G
WR- Need a #2ish and a #3ish.

So the OP was our offense is close to complete.

I strongly disagree. I'm not banking on what was on the 09 roster..

QB- Set

This is how I exactly look at it. QB is set, (I trust Hoyer if anything happened, looked good in HOU game).

RB- You mean find Shon Greene as in draft a power back like Gerhart or Tate? I'm all for that.

TE-We need two, I wonder if they'll both be rookies.
OL-I see the OL as set.

WR- We need to get one FA receiver and draft a receiver. I want Tate to start the season at #4 to see what he has to offer. If he can't, bump him down to about #5.

In my opinion, needs are as follows:

High
DE
OLB
CB
TE
WR
RB
P

Medium
OL
S

Low
PK
QB

This is how I exactly look at it. QB is set, (I trust Hoyer if anything happened, looked good in HOU game).

RB- You mean find Shon Greene as in draft a power back like Gerhart or Tate? I'm all for that.

TE-We need two, I wonder if they'll both be rookies.
OL-I see the OL as set.

WR- We need to get one FA receiver and draft a receiver. I want Tate to start the season at #4 to see what he has to offer. If he can't, bump him down to about #5.

To be honest, I think drafting a RB this year is critical. I have no problem with a RB-by committee approach, but there is the potential to be an incredible amount of turnover on 2011.

Yes. Find a clone of Greene. 5'10-6'0 220-230 lbs. Who certainly needs to pass block and catch the ball a little. Bottom-line- game breaking explosiveness. Get a kid in his early 20s that if need be, can carry the mail and help keep TB upright and potentially extend his career. Maybe in 2011 you bring in a Morris-type or resign Maroney.

I'm a firm believer that a RB that runs hard between the tackles wears down defenses. Slows the pass rush. Makes the D honest in terms of needing to commit guys to the LoS.

Would like to see 2 vet WR, and draft pick.. Reed, and say Mason or Bryant.. that would help the WR situation.. TE, maybee a trade for Olson.. I hope the first round pick is not a TE... RB is a question ,but that could be settled by a draft pick.. The Oline is also in decent shape, but another body would be nice..

We have FOUR obvious holes at WR, RB, TE and backup TE that will likely be filled in free agency in next six weeks. This is not a large laundry list. The other TWENTY-ONE players could be upgraded, or they could be ready to play in a few weeks without addition.
==========

OFFENSE (25)
QB Brady, Hoyer, Stanback/Rowe
RB Taylor, Maroney, OPEN, Morris, Green-Ellis
OL Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer
Kaczur, Connolly, Levoir, Ohrnberger/Bussey/Wendell
TE OPEN, OPEN
WR Moss, OPEN, Edelman, Tate/Patten, Aiken, Slater

PUP Welker

Interesting way to look at it. It's sort of a glass is half empty, even if the drink sucks approach. Some will agree, some will say you're being too harsh, and others will say you're being far to kind.

But, I think the important things to remember are that there is plenty of time until the season begins and that Peyton Manning threw a pick-6 to cost his team the Super Bowl.

i would say we have TWO holes at WR...

and obviously TWO holes at TE, but that doesnt really matter, cuz we dont seem to liek throwing the ball to TE's, so we might as well just put anohter OL in there

and i would also agree I want a rookie RB, thereby well have maroney, this rookie, BJGE, and hopefully faulk and drop morris/taylor

I would prefer Thomas Jones instead of a rookie...if at all possible but there must be a ton of bidders for him.

I have to assume that the subject of this thread is factious; the offense is no where close to complete. We need two WRs and two TEs; the latter not exactly growing on trees.

I believe that we are NOT close to being a SB team, but that the issues are on defense. If we were to sign a top WR receiver tomorrow (only necessary because of Welker's injury), I'd stop worrying about the offense until August. We certainly can pick up a couple of TE's in free agency and a 3rd down running back (and another WR or two for camp competition).

Interesting way to look at it. It's sort of a glass is half empty, even if the drink sucks approach. Some will agree, some will say you're being too harsh, and others will say you're being far to kind.

But, I think the important things to remember are that there is plenty of time until the season begins and that Peyton Manning threw a pick-6 to cost his team the Super Bowl.

QB- Set

If I had to choose between one side or the other, I'd have to take a bit more of a cautious side, therefore tending to agree with you. That's obviously no disrespect to mgteich, who made some good points about being set on the line--and who always has a good grasp of what's going on with the team.

With the departure of Baker, and the very probable departure of Watson, who really improved on his blocking the past couple years, I'd have to rate TE as a major need now. Not just the obvious fact of 'on paper,' but the fact that Brady would target Watson in times of need, etc. Since Welker is pretty much a lock for missing about half of the season on PUP, the TE position may end up being a little more important than we even realize. We need both a good blocker to chip and pick up the pass rush, and another to add to the vertical game and add as a possession receiver--something that Watson did indeed do (though not well enough in a lot of minds). This also makes a position that simply needed an upgrade, to a major position of need, not to mention sets up an early draft pick, who some of us wouldn't be extremely thrilled about (right, wrong, or indifferent).

When you consider Faulk's possible departure, we now have no 3rd down back if he leaves. Kevin Faulk should be a major priority right now, IMO. Again, it adds another area of need to one that wasn't there in 09 (IF he leaves).

The RB position is sufficient, and enough to 'get by,' but we really do need a physical, every down back--a 'Shonne Green' type. Hopefully, we see this as another area that could use an upgrade, and select a Toby Gerhert type who can also serve as a good blocking FB at times. This would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

We all know about our lack of options at WR, and the last game injury to Welker may have not even fully set in to some of us, as we saw what a Welker-less offense can do by putting up slight numbers in losses to the NYJ and BAL. This was a major area of need when Wes was here, and now becomes one of the most vital areas of need now without him. We all saw what a plethora of weapons can do with a franchise QB in 2007, and we need to have some playmakers again at the position. Without a true WR2, Moss becomes half the player he can be. Without a reliable target for Brady such as Welker, this offense becomes extremely predictable. Now we have needs not only at WR2 opposite Moss, but we also have needs at WR3 to some extent. Although Edelman has shown flashes, it will still be a major dropoff from Welker--the best at his position by far. WR4 is still a need, as I don't really rely on Tate since I haven't seen him do anything. If he produces, it's another bonus, the same a return of Welker will be.--So when you really think about it, we need a serious upgrade/area of need at the WR2, WR4, and WR5 positions. Besides Moss (who still needs a vertical threat to fully excel), we only have Edelman right now. There are even some who will see this as a complete overhaul.

There have been many teams the last few years who have gotten in the playoffs when they improved their offenses, and had good options at WR/TE. A lot of these teams had defenses who were 'sufficient' while their offenses pretty much carried them. Some of the teams who come to mind are IND, NO, ARZ, PHI, DAL, MIN, GB, SD, etc. Even last yr's version of PIT evolved more with the addition of more options. Great vertical downfield threats in Wallace, Holmes, while guys like Heath Miller, Hines Ward, etc added duo-threats in possession receivers and downfield threats. Had their defense not blown leads in even 1 more game, they likely would've been in the playoffs too. It seems as though there's 2 options for success in today's NFL. One is a smothering defense such as the NYJ or BAL, who tend to run the ball a lot, and play great defense. The other is a plethora of options at the skill positions on offense, and a 'servicable' defense who can keep you in the game and hold the other team to >21 pts or so. New Orleans and Indy played in the SB in the latter of these categories, and we are a lot closer to playing this style also than we are to playing completely punishing defense like the NYJ or BAL.

It can be argued which of these options at success is better, since we won SB's in 01, 03, and 04 while having the exact opposite. In those seasons, we had more of a punishing style defense, holding 2 of our 3 SB opponents to 21 points or less--while having more of a dink and dunk offense, relying on the run more while looking for the open man for 3rd down possession catches. Again, I am not saying we were/are completely one way or the other, but I think we can all agree that we're alot closer to the opposite of what we originally were during the SB years. Now having a defense in a serious rebuilding phase, likely for the next couple yrs at least, we have moved even more to the style we had in 2007---except for one very important area, and that's viable options at WR. Moss is only 1/2 what he could be without another vertical threat at WR2, and the loss of Welker makes this even more important. I don't want to see Aiken or Stanback at the other options this year, and now we likely won't even have Watson either.

I think it all starts with the re-signing of Faulk, a key FA addition, and upgrades at some of the skill psoitions via the draft.

We all know about our lack of options at WR, and the last game injury to Welker may have not even fully set in to some of us, as we saw what a Welker-less offense can do by putting up slight numbers in losses to the NYJ and BAL. This was a major area of need when Wes was here, and now becomes one of the most vital areas of need now without him.

We all saw what a plethora of weapons can do with a franchise QB in 2007, and we need to have some playmakers again at the position. Without a true WR2, Moss becomes half the player he can be. Without a reliable target for Brady such as Welker, this offense becomes extremely predictable.

Now we have needs not only at WR2 opposite Moss, but we also have needs at WR3 to some extent. Although Edelman has shown flashes, it will still be a major dropoff from Welker--the best at his position by far. WR4 is still a need, as I don't really rely on Tate since I haven't seen him do anything. If he produces, it's another bonus, the same a return of Welker will be.

So when you really think about it, we need a serious upgrade/area of need at the WR2, WR4, and WR5 positions. Besides Moss (who still needs a vertical threat to fully excel), we only have Edelman right now. There are even some who will see this as a complete overhaul.

An excellent post overall -- so I'll add one statement about the WR position:

Guaranteed, that Brady had a one-on-one closed door meeting with BB at season's end. Not known to publicly throw his teammates under the bus, I'm sure he let his opinions fly. When asked what his #1 item on his wish list was, chances are he asked for a downfield threat to pair with Moss. Not necessarily a deep threat, but a solid, intermediate route runner -- who he can rely on when making his reads. AND...this need has absolutely nothing to do with the injury to Welker, as this void was a major contributing factor to the Brady/Moss frustrations throughout the season. Simply stated, after Moss, there was no reliable downfield target all season.

I think we'll find that Edelman has the skills and makeup to be a fine short zone receiver. He won't run the same routes as Welker, but the OC will design the offense to suit his strengths, along with any other new WR addition.

To speculate, I think BB will add another vet to pair w/ Patten, an early draft pick like Gilyard who can run both short and intermediate routes, and/or a developmental prospect on day two. This fix will have to suffice, and one of the new additions will have to step up and fill the void.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes