PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Offense - Biggest Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
This allocation of roster spots seems consistent with actions so far, especially the signing of Morris and Faulk.

My only uneasiness is with regard to who will be returning punts and kickoffs. Obviously, two of these players can be Welker and Faulk. Vareen could be in the picture. If that's the case, we have three returners and won't see TWO from the bottom four wideouts (including Branch).

We haven't spoken much about the effect of using a roster spot on a 3rd quarterback. If the allocation below is right, then the position will be made up on special teams or defense. Of course, if Slater is the #5 WR, then it will be potential #9 receiving target that will suffer (after 4 WR's, 2 TE's and 2 RB's).

My best guess is 3 QB, 3 TE, 5 RB, 5 WR, 9 OL. Gonna be a fascinating camp/preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re kick returns Edleman has done a good job here, he is 'shiftier' than Tate and I wonder if with the changes to the KO if that will put a premium on a guy who can make people miss as opposed to flat out straight line Speed?

My concern with Tate is his route running which is why B Johnson and C Jackson are not around. I think the Price/ Tate decision will be a biggie.

While Slater is a very good ST player I wonder if we will see enough talent that a guy who also can't play a position is viable with a roster this deep. Tough decision all around.

How many years will posters say that Belichick should not keep any special teams only players? And how many times will Belichick keep at least two on the 53 man roster? Of course, this attitude of posters toward special teams players goes back much further than Belichick.

In the end, Slater shows a tremendous amount of talent in position: special teams. The more difficult question is who will replace Tracy White if he isn't resigned.

I understand that having a 3rd quarterback steals a position from somewhere. I just don't think that it will be from the two special teams positions.

Re kick returns Edleman has done a good job here, he is 'shiftier' than Tate and I wonder if with the changes to the KO if that will put a premium on a guy who can make people miss as opposed to flat out straight line Speed?

My concern with Tate is his route running which is why B Johnson and C Jackson are not around. I think the Price/ Tate decision will be a biggie.

While Slater is a very good ST player I wonder if we will see enough talent that a guy who also can't play a position is viable with a roster this deep. Tough decision all around.

We may have other palyers who are very good ST who also play a position BB values versatility also and he also is looking for players who can provide value in the future.

Arrington is a very good ST player and Brown, both fill other roles. I agree about White, I would like to see him back. I don't feel Slater is a lock even though a very good ST player. If he makes the roster that is fine but it will be the expense of a player who could fill another role now and in the future.

Ocho, Welker & Branch are all older WR, do you cut Edleman who could be Wlekers replacement and is a good St'er? Do you cut price who may be the fastest guy on the team and could be the best WR on the roster wehn Ocho and Branh are gone?

I do know the BB will weigh all these factors especially who earns a role on the team in camp. BTW I think the preseason games will be much more important for the 'non lock' players to define a role for themselves due to the drastic cutback in the number of practices in pads.

Welker is signed through 2011
Branch, Tate and Edelman are signed through 2012
Price and Ochocinco are signed through 2013
=====================

No, I would NOT keep Edelman because he might replace Welker in 2012 for one year, if Welker doesn't come back. My expectation is that Branch will be our slot receiver if Welker goes.

If Edelman goes, it will Tate and Price competing for reps this year and next. Hopefully one of them will be up to the task of being one of our top 2 receivers in 2012.

If Edelman is the replacement for Welker, then by all mean extend his contract.

Ocho, Welker & Branch are all older WR, do you cut Edleman who could be Wlekers replacement and is a good St'er? Do you cut price who may be the fastest guy on the team and could be the best WR on the roster wehn Ocho and Branh are gone?

I do know the BB will weigh all these factors especially who earns a role on the team in camp. BTW I think the preseason games will be much more important for the 'non lock' players to define a role for themselves due to the drastic cutback in the number of practices in pads.

Are both rookie running backs a lock for the 53? Maybe one could be stashed somewhere. I'd like to see Price and Faulk both make the roster.

Do we keep 4 or 5 rb: if we keep 5 rb the spot will be between Faulk and Morris, I favor Faulk here

Do we keep 5 or 6 wr if we go with 5 wr the decision is between Price and Tate, Tate has issues with his route running. How well will Price run routes? Either guy IF they develop has the speed to be the 'deep/stretch the field' guy.

I wonder if Tate will 'get it' re route running. I could see Price taking his spot if we go 5 WR.

My best guess is 3 QB, 3 TE, 5 RB, 5 WR, 9 OL. Gonna be a fascinating camp/preseason.
At this point it seems like it comes down to a question of either 4 RB & 6 WR, or 5 RB & 5 WR.

Though obviously much can and will change over the next month. Injuries always have a way of sorting these things out.

They can't "stash" a RB - both were picked within the first three rounds of the draft.

LeVoir was playing RT with the first team when camp broke. I understand that first day of camp was a bit unique, but I am confident LeVoir makes the team. As does Connelly.

The interesting spots for me : RB (Faulk seems to feel BB will keep him) and WR (Price vs Tate).

Until Light is signed it has to be left tackle. I love the Solder pick but don't want him on Brady's blind side until he is ready. They could move Vollmer over temporarily but I don't want to see them depleting the offensive line and having LeVoir et al at right tackle doesn't make them better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back