Welcome to PatsFans.com

Our new Speaker of the House ...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Nov 7, 2006.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Fortunately the dems are stupid enough to do just that and put Pelosi as speaker. They might as well concede the 2008 presidential race while they're at it. She's your Newt Gingrich; a polarizing and unpopular figure that members of her own party will run away from as fast as they possibly can.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Mikey's got a boner .... yipee!!!

Seriously ..... I like some of her ideas initially.

- the donut hole for seniors

- Tuition freeze

Also .... America needs some hearings on Iraq. Like it or not, and some may not....it is our democratic process. Also, it was a process promised by Bush when he won approval for the war...that Congress would review it every 90 days...and it never happened.

Personally .... I don't like Pelosi at all .... but .... if she has good iseas for America .... I will support those ideas because my politics has always been people first and I could care less about parties.

I hope the Senate stays Republican however. I hope the Senate and the House are never again both held by the same party....that is my only reason for hoping the Senate stays G.O.P.

If you're going to have to choose which party should be the same as the President then IMO the Senate is best .... Congress is too corruptable being the same party as the President IMO.
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Mikey's got a boner .... yipee!!!

Seriously ..... I like some of her ideas initially.

- the donut hole for seniors

- Tuition freeze

Also .... America needs some hearings on Iraq. Like it or not, and some may not....it is our democratic process. Also, it was a process promised by Bush when he won approval for the war...that Congress would review it every 90 days...and it never happened.

Personally .... I don't like Pelosi at all .... but .... if she has good iseas for America .... I will support those ideas because my politics has always been people first and I could care less about parties.

I hope the Senate stays Republican however. I hope the Senate and the House are never again both held by the same party....that is my only reason for hoping the Senate stays G.O.P.

If you're going to have to choose which party should be the same as the President then IMO the Senate is best .... Congress is too corruptable being the same party as the President IMO.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Makes me sick to my stomach. Time to put money in legal tax shelter, they'll be raiding my bank account. With some effort (keeping receipts, etc) I can knock $10-$15K off my taxable income - that MIGHT be enough to balance out the inevitable tax increases.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

What's the donut hole ?

Don't think Congress can freeze college tuition. Nice little campaign promise though.
  7. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

QuiGon:

This is what I don't understand about you.

You curse and rant about the Democrats and yet you live in one of the bluest state.

If you hate Democrats so much, why not leave MA and move to one of the Red states?

There are plenty of Red states to settle down: Mississippi, Alabama, Nebraska, or Oklahoma.

Why not go to a place where you belong?

Why not move to a place where you are surrounded by people just like you.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Same for me in this liberal freak show named CA. Why stay ? My job, my wife's job. My kids friends. Both our families.

Too bad for us.
  9. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Why not move to Texas? or Florida? These red states have no income tax.

You and your wife can get other jobs.

You can home school your kids, just like most Republicans.

Why live a sham life?

Why not follow you convictions and move to a red state??

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

The donut hole is the screw job on seniors and their medications. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/11/medicare_doughnut_hole.html The hole between when coverage ends and then kicks in again. By the time it kicks in...many seniors will have kicked or been kicked out of their homes into a governemnt subsidized elderly complex .... it's a real scam on our great seniors who have built this country.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

They shouldn't be getting free pills to begin with. That's what family is for. I don't mind helping my parents or inlaws with their expenses - I don't want to help yours. Sorry. They're for you to help with.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I actually live in a red city and a red county, just a blue state. So it depends how close you look I guess.
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Believe you me, it's being discussed amongst myself and the missus. When we got married it made sense for me to move to MA instead of her to NH since we both worked in MA. But even my wife (who ain't exactly quite as conservative as I am) is getting sick of the oppressive taxes here and is more than a little nervous about what a Deval Dukakis administration may bring.

Right now isn't the right time just yet, but NC is a leading candidate since they have the two industries my wife and I work in: finance and biotech. They're stealing jobs and industry away from Taxachusetts left and right, so it may very well be only a matter of time before we jump ship too.
  14. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#15 Jersey

Why don't we give Pelosi a chance before we start ranting about her. Its not as if the past 6 years has been a bonanza for the middle class. The Republicans have been fiscally challenged during their term as well as having committed fraud in many cases. Time for a change.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

For me there is no point in giving her a chance because the things the Democrats have talked about are what I'm against. Higher taxes (regardless of whether I pay them), more social security, more medicare spending, government spending on health care, college, etc. Spending, spending, spending. Again, I voted against Bush in 2004 but change for change's sake is not the solution.
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

OK, let me state it this way.

I don't want to pay a dime, or a nickel, or a Penny, for your drug costs. I don't give a crap whether you can have an erection, have high cholesterol, or whatever. I am happy to help my parents with their costs. I am happy to help my inlaws with theirs. They are my family. You are just some money grabbing schmuck who I don't want to help. This is the kind of over reaching thing which makes the government so big.

I'll help my family. I'll save for my retirement. We shouldn't need some freaky, over reaching federal program to do it.
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

She is a "San Francisco Liberal" they are the worst kind, she is the type that will bleed the working person and give it all to the "Wino" living under the bridge.

She will try to destroy our military, she hates them worse than Kerry does, we don't have to give Pelosi a chance we already know what she is, she will do her best to put a plan in place that calls for us to surrender and cut and run in Iraq.

We surrendered in Viet Nam, when we did that was the end of the war, when we surrender the war on terrorism you can bet that will not end this "Muslim Terror Obsession To Bring Death To America" Pelosi and Gang will just make it easier for the Savage to kill us and them.

It will take a while for Pelosi to start pushing her left wing liberal sh!t through but do it she will so next summer think long and hard before you fly on an American Air Line.

Voters You Have Made Your Bed, Now Lie In It, good luck.
  18. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#15 Jersey

I understand your point of view, your being a Libertarian. Tho, I don't think you really have an option in voting. The Democrats might spend on these social issues, but compare that to the Republicans fiscal responsibility during their tenure. I would say the Dems are the lessor of two evils. My father-in-law was saying last night, he had a new battery put in his pace maker recently. That in and out visit to the hospital cost $40,0000. How does someone making minimum wage or slightly above pay for that? I think I already know your answer, that's where we differ.
  19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

The Speaker of the House is supposed to be a consensus builder. Under the Republicans, there was no attempt to build bridges across party lines. I wonder if it's payback time or if Pelosi will return to the more constructive behavior of former House leaders. Pelosi's liberal views will not play a role in her job as Speaker (assuming she remains speaker). The speaker is a manager, organizer, and uniter. Most Americans may not like Pelosi's politics, but it doesn't mean she'll be a poor Speaker.
  20. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -1

I feel bad for my Libertarian friends too. I pray that some day we see a 3rd party rise to some sort of prominance. It would be good for the people & country.

Yes, I agree, the GOP has spent more than any liberal could ever dream. They deserved to loose control, period. I. like FBN, hoped the house would go one way, and the senate another. In the end, the senate may move to 49-49-2. The Vermont Independent always votes Dems, but Leiberman, although a Dem by trade, may prove to be a, equalizing vote. Even steven means Dick matters.

Remember, the "lesser of two evils", cuz you are right. Politics is rarely a vote FOR someone, as much as it is a vote AGAINST someone else.

As for the $40k for a pacemaker, well the answer isn't simple. First of all, here in MA, someone making minimum wage wouldn't have to pay for it. Freecare, or MAssHealth would pic up the cost. Ultimately, Joe Taxpayer foots the bill. Besides that, the fundamental problem with the cost of healthcare is the issue. Should a pacemaker cost $40k? Better yet, why does it? PArt of the problem with healthcare is the absence of a market economy on it. What I mean is, when people, or consumers, buy a product, they pay for it, and subsequently "shop" for the buy that suits them best. Therfore, having a consumer driven market affects price. Well, for healthcare, there is not such consumer market. Healthcare is either paid for by the government, or by insurance. Very few people pay for it themselves. What this does is it artificially sets the value/price of healthcare. Think car insurance kinda. Only, car insurance is state regulated. People don't want to regulate healthcare.

Of course, this is only part of the problem with healthcare.