PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our NE Patriots....A list of Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I don't view what Mayo was doing there as the kind of big play I was talking about at first though. What i mean is that I know Mayo is terrific. I just would like to see him make a Ninkovich style play once in a while. A pick like the one Spikes made in the playoffs a few years ago.

I totally agree that the hits on Anthony Gonzalez were huge. Just not the turnover or devastating, drive end sack kind of big playa that I had in mind in my opening post.

There's something to be said for having a guy in the middle who is simply a tackling machine. Ray Lewis never had gaudy sack or INT stats; he just tackled 15 guys a game. Mayo is similar (though I don't think he delivers the kind of punishing hits Lewis did) in that he is always just making a million tackles.

That's a very valuable thing.

There's something to be said for having a guy in the middle who is simply a tackling machine. Ray Lewis never had gaudy sack or INT stats; he just tackled 15 guys a game. Mayo is similar (though I don't think he delivers the kind of punishing hits Lewis did) in that he is always just making a million tackles.

That's a very valuable thing.

Very true, Ray Lewis had 41.5 career sacks and 31 ints in 227 career starts. Certainly not LT type of stats. BUT, like you said, probably 80% of Lewis' hits were punishing, so he was an intimadator out there, AND, he was VERY good in coverage. He could run with a lot of RB's and cover them on pass plays. I think that's where the differences between Mayo and Lewis lie.

Very true, Ray Lewis had 41.5 career sacks and 31 ints in 227 career starts. Certainly not LT type of stats. BUT, like you said, probably 80% of Lewis' hits were punishing, so he was an intimadator out there, AND, he was VERY good in coverage. He could run with a lot of RB's and cover them on pass plays. I think that's where the differences between Mayo and Lewis lie.

Well sure. Lewis may be the greatest MLB in NFL history. Nobody in their right mind thinks Mayo is that. But Mayo is a pro-bowl caliber LB, and the Pats, I'm sure, are very happy with what he does out there.

I have no problem with Mayo's game, while some seem to prefer the shiny beads approach, he is a defensive leader and steady...

I would prefer a dependable, consistent guy instead of an inconsistent guy.. remember Meriweather.

*****ing about Mayo

f-u.gif

Disagree strongly with most of this but just saw Steely Dan in NYC and am too tired to say why. But wow, major disagreements.

How was it? Not much of a Steely Dan fan but as I live a 5 minute wal I'm considerng going. Believe they play 10/1 - 10/8.

How was it? Not much of a Steely Dan fan but as I live a 5 minute wal I'm considerng going. Believe they play 10/1 - 10/8.

It was very good.

High quality musicians and a fun night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill