Welcome to PatsFans.com

Our Last Cuts and Draft Choices

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +269 / 17 / -2

I suspect that none of our cuts are worth a draft choice, although I guess a 6th or 7th is certainly possible.

And as much as we have hyped our 80-man squad, I don't think many of our cuts will be signed on to other rosters.

As far as patriots picking up players, I still see a center/guard, defensive lineman and a fullback as possibilities.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +383 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I see Ohrnberger on a lot of cut lists and I don't see it. I realize a few #4s haven't stuck around long, the likes of Mills, Brown and Cobbs. But we didn't draft all those OL to keep Vollmer and hope Ohrnberger and Bussey make it through waivers to the PS. That's probably what we face with Bussey but I don't see it with O.
  3. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well 2 of the Pats 80 man roster have already been traded for draft picks, so that is fairly impressive. Very rarely does a guy who is not going to make a team at cutdown time fetch more than a 6 or 7, so you kind of negate your own point with your qualification.

I could see the loser of the long snapping battle (especially if its Ingram that loses) net the Patriots a 7th rounder.

I could see Bussey netting the Patriots a 7th rounder considering he was a 5th rounder this year.

I could see O'Callaghan and Alex Smith also having value if they don't make the team. I would not bet on any of these situations individually, but I think there's a good possibility one of the four nets a pick.

Possible pickups? Inside Linebacker, especially one who's proven on special teams. I only see a Defensive Lineman being a possibility if the Patriots move someone already on the roster or their is an injury. Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright, Brace, and Pryor make 7 DL's. Banta-Cain and Burgess are essentially pass rushing DE's at this point too. I just don't see any room for an addition. Further, DL is a position most teams are looking for, so unless its Kevin Carter or a trade, I don't see anyone getting cut who could help.
  4. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Maybe Smith. But Bussey ? I dunno.
  5. PatsFan00042

PatsFan00042 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maroney has to be worth a 5th or 6th round pick to someone...
  6. tdw777

tdw777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

hehehehe. poor kool aid.
  7. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +772 / 8 / -1

#11 Jersey

:yeahthat:

It's already happened, QED. The roster was deep enough to trade away multiple would-be cuts. How many other teams have done that?

As for the rest getting picked up, it depends how the final cuts go. It's not hard to picture guys like Smith, Hodel, Adams and an RB getting interest.
  8. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +154 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

It depends

Many people on this board keep the veterans on the roster and imagine the young guys at risk, but as Hochstein shows, that is not always the case. When young guys like Brace and Pryor impress, it might be the older guys (Green) who take up bigger slices of the salary pie who become expendable.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  9. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I really hope we keep Jarvis Green, but if not, he'd be worth something.

I don't think anyone will offer a pick for Terrance Nunn, but if I were a GM, I'd offer a 7th rounder to guarantee that kid is on my team. He's been impressive, just too many talented WRs ahead of him. Hopefully he makes the PS.

If Lawfirm isn't going to make the team, he's also another young guy that a team should take on.
  10. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Re: It depends

This is a year where many veterans are in the last year of their

contract. For this reason, the Patriots might hold on to a rookie

who they can retain for four years. Obviously, the rookie has to

show some talent to stick.
  11. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The only way we can get a draft pick is if there is some competition for a player (ie KC vs Denver). If we're getting a 7th for Hochstein, I doubt we will be cutting a player better then that. Teams will just be waiting to see who we'll cut this far into TC.
  12. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +269 / 17 / -2

Re: It depends

I agree with your argument but not your examples. Brace and Pryor are on everyone's roster. All of us have seven defensive linemen since we have decided to keep a real backup NT on the roster and perhaps runn more 4-3. With regard to Green, I understand that he could be cut. However, I don't expect him to be cut unless we sign someone like Carter from another team.

If there is a veteran that might be cut, it is Bruschi. We have already acknowledged that possibility. Our debate regarding the last few roster spots has revolved around which line backers to keep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.