Our Lads...Projects Kamerion Wimbley Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Our Lads projects us taking Kamerion...not a 4-3 DE at all...just a situational pass rusher there. But projects as an OLB in the 3-4. His scouting report from ESPN doesn't reflect him as a Belichick type pick.

Words like Underachiever / Lacks Starting Experience / Gets washed out by good OT's / Lacks many moves. However his strengths project him as a RB/QB tackling machine...excellant athlete, great tackling burst...all the rest. Sounds like he always have the reserve energy to explode off his feet when needed.

Kamerion Wimbley
DE | (6'3
7_8.gif
", 248, 4.65) | FLORIDA STATE

Anyone who has seen him play...what do you think???

I haven't seen him play but he's a viable conversion project to OLB. He has all the tools but somehow the production is often missing . . . the reason for that will likely dictate our interest.

BoxOfRocks is way on top of the draft....I eagerly wait his opinion here. I struggle with the draft a bit because I have trouble getting to watch college games.

F.B.N. said:
BoxOfRocks is way on top of the draft....I eagerly wait his opinion here. I struggle with the draft a bit because I have trouble getting to watch college games.
You mean that lightheaded feeling, the dizziness, and the double-vision means I'm on top? Must be altitude sickness!

Wimbley played in the Senior Bowl - here was the summary I posted:

Defensive End:

Daryl Tapp (Virginia Tech), Manny Lawson (NC State), Parys Haralson (Tennessee) Mark Anderson (Alabama) and Elvis Dumervil (Louisville) all showed skill sets that will translate to a 3-4 OLB. Lawson even covered Dominique Byrd in the flat on a bootleg play. Lawson really helped himself by showing a real knack for locating the ball. He needs to be better disciplined with his containment duties, but improved over the course of the game. Tapp is another Rosie Colvin, just a couple inches shorter. Dumervil really caught my eye when he beat what was essentially a double team to pressure the QB. Tamba Hali (Penn State) is a knuckle down man, he is a good 4-3 edge rusher, but I’m uncertain about his ability to play upright in a 3-4. Victor Adeyanju got one mention in my notes for burning the slow footed McNeill. Kamerion Wimbley gave Trueblood some trouble, but was handled in pass blocking by Klopfenstein.

He looked like a one-dimensional pure speed rusher, challenging for the slow-footed Trueblood, but little trouble for a slightly below average, blocking TE. He looked good at the combine in terms of his athletics, and the brief glimpses NFL Network showed of his pro-day looked very smooth and athletic, so he has the physical tools.

The question I have is his ability to put it all together on the field. He started one year and his production in that year isn't close to players like Lawson or Tapp, both of whom are in the same draft range on most mocks.

He didn't make my OLB board as a conversion project based on his limited college production, his limitations in the Senior Bowl, and his high draftnik rating - 'limited, limited, hype' seemed a bad combination then and now. Lawson and Tapp both worked against the LTs at the Senior Bowl and were more effective - I could see them giving Light a workout, I could see Wimbley making Gorin sweat and being knocked on his tea kettle by Faulk or even Evans - ship him to Indy to replace Mathis.

F.B.N. said:
Our Lads projects us taking Kamerion...not a 4-3 DE at all...just a situational pass rusher there. But projects as an OLB in the 3-4. His scouting report from ESPN doesn't reflect him as a Belichick type pick.

Words like Underachiever / Lacks Starting Experience / Gets washed out by good OT's / Lacks many moves. However his strengths project him as a RB/QB tackling machine...excellant athlete, great tackling burst...all the rest. Sounds like he always have the reserve energy to explode off his feet when needed.

Kamerion Wimbley
DE | (6'3
7_8.gif
", 248, 4.65) | FLORIDA STATE

Anyone who has seen him play...what do you think???

According to NFL draft countdown

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/kamerionwimbley.html

I think he would be a reach at 21. However he could be selected as soon as the mid first round,.

Strengths:
Tremendous natural athlete...Fast and very quick with a burst...Can wreak havoc rushing the passer off the edge...Does an excellent job in pursuit and can close on the ball...Changes directions well...Very productive and stood out on a talented defense...Team player with top intangibles...Is also an excellent special teams prospect...Still has a lot of upside and hasn't reached his full potential.

Weaknesses:
Undersized and lacks bulk...Needs to hit the weight room and get stronger...May have to change positions at the next level...Does not hold up at the point of attack...A liability against the run...Struggles to shed blockers...Is basically a one trick pony who relies solely on his speed...Needs to work on technique and make better use of his hands...Might only be a situational player in the pro ranks.

Notes:
Could be a 3-4 outside linebacker...Entered college at only 210 lbs so he has done a good job of adding weight and has the frame to get bigger still...A classic 'tweener who a team will need to find the right role for...At the very least he should excel as a situational pass rusher and he could easily be a lot more.

Last edited:
Wimbley is someone they should consider in the second round. He'd be a reach at 21...

Box_O_Rocks said:
You mean that lightheaded feeling, the dizziness, and the double-vision means I'm on top? Must be altitude sickness!

Wimbley played in the Senior Bowl - here was the summary I posted:

Defensive End:
The question I have is his ability to put it all together on the field. He started one year and his production in that year isn't close to players like Lawson or Tapp, both of whom are in the same draft range on most mocks.

Thanks...the draft sites fail in that regard (comparisons)...so even the most glowing of reports could contradict true production.

Draft sites all seem to have him as a high riser because of his pass rush abilities, much like Demarcus Ware last year. I personally don't think his game is nearly complete enough to warrant the pick at #21, much better guys will be there. I could see Pittsburgh picking him up or even the Jets if Mangini chooses to switch to the 3-4.

stinkypete said:
Draft sites all seem to have him as a high riser because of his pass rush abilities, much like Demarcus Ware last year. I personally don't think his game is nearly complete enough to warrant the pick at #21, much better guys will be there. I could see Pittsburgh picking him up or even the Jets if Mangini chooses to switch to the 3-4.

That's where draft boards / profiles are tough to use in predicting a Patriots' Draftee. You use the word "complete"...and for the 1st 3 rounds at least, there is little wiggle room on that. A 5th round complete by Belichicks standars could well be another teams 3rd because of those great few things.

Reason why this year I have not made a Patriots board...there is just too little information to do it properly. The fans who watch alot of college games have a better chance of doing a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back