Welcome to PatsFans.com

Our Guys Are Nasty . . . And I Like It

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by QB12, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QB12

QB12 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -6

#12 Jersey

I like the fact that Merriweather, Wilhite, Springs, and AD talk smack to the opposition after a tackle. We've got a little nastiness on D, and I like it.

How about it?

QB12

2. H8R

H8R Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You know where AD got the nasty streak? Playing on the Ravens Defense. :D

3. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Do you have any quotes or youtube clips?
    That would be entertaining.

4. CampPen33

CampPen33 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it's important to be able to intimidate the opponent, and it certainly helps. I do like it, but I have some reservations about it potentially escalating into something they get penalized for. As long as they keep backing it up, and don't do it when they happen to make a tackle after getting burned or something. As long as it is in it's place.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  5. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,925 / 11 / -8

A little swagger and a nasty edge on D is nice. Not too much, and not at the expense of stupid play (dump penalties, etc.). But it's nice to see, and it suggests that the defense is developing confidence, which is important given their relative youth and inexperience playing together.

6. QB12

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -6

#12 Jersey

I remember the flip side, the dark, injury-riddled days of 2005, when Asante publicly lamented that no one feared going across the middle anymore (back then). Those days seem to be long gone . . .

QB12

7. QB12

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -6

#12 Jersey

Meriweather seems to be the 'Smacker in Chief' and Reiss pointed out he played every down on D, and his ability to communicate a challenging game plan against Gonzo was key.

QB12

8. tajapandu

tajapandu On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i like it, but i didnt like the extremes that Ellis Hobbs took it to after every incomplete pass

9. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know if it is politically correct to say so but BB simply likes the 'rat' players. He likes borderline mean attitude players. Always has. The Rodney Harrisons. Corey Dillons. Wilforks. Seymours. Guys that play until the whistle has stopped blowing.

And 'rat' has a very specific meaning, it refers to on the field attitude, nothing else. Players like Logan Mankins or Matt Light that exhibited that mean streak in college.

BB fondly says that it is better to draft players with that aggression and then try to tone them down a bit than draft players without that aggression and try to turn it up afterwards.

And yeah they also have to be pretty intelligent and mentally stable off the field.

10. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yea,but I cringe when I see excessive on the field celebrations,as well as any potential 15-yard penalty for group antics after scoring a TD.It's gotten out of hand and the NFL is cracking down.

11. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I agree. Rodney always came in with bone crushing hits but the guys in our secondary can really bring the hat this year. I didn't expect to see Bodden, Springs, Wilhite and McGowen hit so hard. It is nice to see physical corners on the field again. Bodden is the one that stands out to me the most. He has laid some nasty licks already this year.

12. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,925 / 11 / -8

Like I said, a little swagger and nastiness, but not too much, and not at the expense of stupid play. Hobbs took it too far and didn't have the game to back it up.

13. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +182 / 2 / -1

#24 Jersey

I love that micd up thing that ESPN used to do. Ray Lewis is always entertaining when on the field. But I also remember hearing a story that some of the Pats players were inviting the Giants to their Superbowl party during the final drive.:eek:.

14. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +559 / 16 / -5

I feel nauseous.:(

15. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +559 / 16 / -5

I agree with this. The secondary needs to lay people out (within the rules and not with the intent to mame). With that fear, WRs will adjust routes, alligator-arm catches. Violence has a profound impact on the tactical-aspect of the game.

16. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,583 / 20 / -10

#3 Jersey

I believe Bart Scott would be the poster child for that? :)

17. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,983 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

Hmm. Maybe it's just me but I've always seen our guys talking smack after a play. That's just the nature of the game. I do agree that the physicality on our defense has been turned up a notch this year though.

18. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

May want to add McGowan to that list.

I agree we're getting back some of that intimidation that Rodney Harrison used to establish in the middle.

19. Randy For Moss

Randy For Moss Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

once Mr. Mayo comes back, the Defense is going to be SICK NASTY!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  20. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,925 / 11 / -8

He's had his share, to be sure. Intensity is great, but not at the expense of control. The Ravens were out of control under Billick. Harbaugh has done a fine job of keeping their intensity being controlling it.

We need to be just as intense. Nastiness and swagger are great. Dumb roughing the passer penalties, personal fouls, taunting, end zone celebrations and the like are not so hot, and can cost the game.

In the first game against Buffalo, when Trent Edwards got the ball back with 50 seconds left down by 1, many on this board worried that we had given him too much time. What I saw on the next drive was a defense that was pumped up and seemed to relish the challenge of having to stop Buffalo. Particularly Meriweather. I hadn't seen that kind of intensity and confidence in a while, and I liked it. It's only going to get better with time, with experience, and with the return of some of our key defensive folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.