PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Guys Are Nasty . . . And I Like It

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I like the fact that Merriweather, Wilhite, Springs, and AD talk smack to the opposition after a tackle. We've got a little nastiness on D, and I like it.

How about it?

QB12

You know where AD got the nasty streak? Playing on the Ravens Defense. :D

I like the fact that Merriweather, Wilhite, Springs, and AD talk smack to the opposition after a tackle. We've got a little nastiness on D, and I like it.

How about it?

QB12

Do you have any quotes or youtube clips?
That would be entertaining.

How about it?

QB12

I think it's important to be able to intimidate the opponent, and it certainly helps. I do like it, but I have some reservations about it potentially escalating into something they get penalized for. As long as they keep backing it up, and don't do it when they happen to make a tackle after getting burned or something. As long as it is in it's place.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little swagger and a nasty edge on D is nice. Not too much, and not at the expense of stupid play (dump penalties, etc.). But it's nice to see, and it suggests that the defense is developing confidence, which is important given their relative youth and inexperience playing together.

I remember the flip side, the dark, injury-riddled days of 2005, when Asante publicly lamented that no one feared going across the middle anymore (back then). Those days seem to be long gone . . .

QB12

Meriweather seems to be the 'Smacker in Chief' and Reiss pointed out he played every down on D, and his ability to communicate a challenging game plan against Gonzo was key.

QB12

i like it, but i didnt like the extremes that Ellis Hobbs took it to after every incomplete pass

I don't know if it is politically correct to say so but BB simply likes the 'rat' players. He likes borderline mean attitude players. Always has. The Rodney Harrisons. Corey Dillons. Wilforks. Seymours. Guys that play until the whistle has stopped blowing.

And 'rat' has a very specific meaning, it refers to on the field attitude, nothing else. Players like Logan Mankins or Matt Light that exhibited that mean streak in college.

BB fondly says that it is better to draft players with that aggression and then try to tone them down a bit than draft players without that aggression and try to turn it up afterwards.

And yeah they also have to be pretty intelligent and mentally stable off the field.

yea,but I cringe when I see excessive on the field celebrations,as well as any potential 15-yard penalty for group antics after scoring a TD.It's gotten out of hand and the NFL is cracking down.

How about it?

QB12

I agree. Rodney always came in with bone crushing hits but the guys in our secondary can really bring the hat this year. I didn't expect to see Bodden, Springs, Wilhite and McGowen hit so hard. It is nice to see physical corners on the field again. Bodden is the one that stands out to me the most. He has laid some nasty licks already this year.

i like it, but i didnt like the extremes that Ellis Hobbs took it to after every incomplete pass

Like I said, a little swagger and nastiness, but not too much, and not at the expense of stupid play. Hobbs took it too far and didn't have the game to back it up.

I love that micd up thing that ESPN used to do. Ray Lewis is always entertaining when on the field. But I also remember hearing a story that some of the Pats players were inviting the Giants to their Superbowl party during the final drive.:eek:.

I love that micd up thing that ESPN used to do. Ray Lewis is always entertaining when on the field. But I also remember hearing a story that some of the Pats players were inviting the Giants to their Superbowl party during the final drive.:eek:.

I feel nauseous.:(

I agree. Rodney always came in with bone crushing hits but the guys in our secondary can really bring the hat this year. I didn't expect to see Bodden, Springs, Wilhite and McGowen hit so hard. It is nice to see physical corners on the field again. Bodden is the one that stands out to me the most. He has laid some nasty licks already this year.

I agree with this. The secondary needs to lay people out (within the rules and not with the intent to mame). With that fear, WRs will adjust routes, alligator-arm catches. Violence has a profound impact on the tactical-aspect of the game.

A little swagger and a nasty edge on D is nice. Not too much, and not at the expense of stupid play (dump penalties, etc.). But it's nice to see, and it suggests that the defense is developing confidence, which is important given their relative youth and inexperience playing together.

I believe Bart Scott would be the poster child for that? :)

Hmm. Maybe it's just me but I've always seen our guys talking smack after a play. That's just the nature of the game. I do agree that the physicality on our defense has been turned up a notch this year though.

How about it?

QB12

May want to add McGowan to that list.

I agree we're getting back some of that intimidation that Rodney Harrison used to establish in the middle.

once Mr. Mayo comes back, the Defense is going to be SICK NASTY!

Last edited:
I believe Bart Scott would be the poster child for that? :)

He's had his share, to be sure. Intensity is great, but not at the expense of control. The Ravens were out of control under Billick. Harbaugh has done a fine job of keeping their intensity being controlling it.

We need to be just as intense. Nastiness and swagger are great. Dumb roughing the passer penalties, personal fouls, taunting, end zone celebrations and the like are not so hot, and can cost the game.

In the first game against Buffalo, when Trent Edwards got the ball back with 50 seconds left down by 1, many on this board worried that we had given him too much time. What I saw on the next drive was a defense that was pumped up and seemed to relish the challenge of having to stop Buffalo. Particularly Meriweather. I hadn't seen that kind of intensity and confidence in a while, and I liked it. It's only going to get better with time, with experience, and with the return of some of our key defensive folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes