PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Future At OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the last 2 drafts+Cooper trade the Patriots are probably planning to roll with 4 OGs and just stop using tackles.

With Scar in charge there seems to be the underlying belief that he can "coach anyone up".. it is that making chicken salad out or chicken **** thing.

One thing for sure things will be better this year..

With Scar back, a new strength coach, and a bit more luck on the injury front than 2015, we should be in better shape to make a serious run. I think most would agree that keeping Brady upright is critical. I cringe every time I think of last season's playoffs.

That said, all 32 teams have weaknesses. I think the Pats are in relatively good shape. I'm optimistic!

For 2016 they seem to be counting on being healthier than 2015 as enough to make it work. That's at least logical, if imperfect and potentially problematic.

Worked in 2014.

I think it's as simple as they have their starters and back ups for 2016 and Belichick did not see prospects available in the draft who would win spots on this team so took prospects who could instead. I think they will draft an OT high in next year's draft to take one of their tackle spots down the road and are comfortable with Solder at LT with Vollmer backing him up if necessary. They may extend either of their starters and possibly both but they feel good about what they have right now and have a full year to address the future at the positions, and even more time to address both.

Last edited:
With Scar in charge there seems to be the underlying belief that he can "coach anyone up".. it is that making chicken salad out or chicken **** thing.

One thing for sure things will be better this year..
As good of a coach Scar is, the expectation that he is a miracle worker is a a little overboard. Coaches need talent and healthy players to work with. If you don't have talent then as a coach you will fail.

There have been some pretty talented players that have come though this organization. Light, Compton, Woody, Andruzzi, Neal, Mankins, Solder, Vollmer and Scar has done a damn good job getting them prepared and developing them. Hes also had players that had talent but couldn't put it together here (or anywhere). Guys like Klemm, Greg Robinson Randall, Kenyatta Jones. Not blaming Scar for their failures but the guy can't save everyone.

In the end, for Scar to live up to his Gandalf-status, he needs the talent to take to his hard coaching style, work hard and stay healthy.

One thing I do know is if this line plays anywhere close to 2015 people will be grumbling that Scar should have stayed retired and Googs wasn't as bad as people think.

In (somewhat) defense of the tackles in the AFCCG, when you're an OT in a loud environment, lined up against Miller or Ware and your center is tipping the snap, you're doomed. Period.

That game was on the coaching. They should have caught it and fixed - maybe even use it against the DL. And if they couldn't fix it, Andrews should have been in.

EDIT: ps. I recall reading that Denver was OFF-SIDES 8 times with no call. One sack down by the Pats goal line, Miller was in the backfield before Fleming (or Cannon?) even realized the ball had been snapped.

I had OT as a draft need like everyone else, but in Bill We Trust. Now we have Solder and Vollmer backed up by Waddle (a former starting LT now presumably recovered from the ACL that hampered him last season), and Cannon. OL is still a team thing, and hopefully the tackles will have fewer worries inside with the new additions there, along with 2 of the better blocking TEs and Develin. Sprinkle on the magic Scar dust and we are good to go. Right?

In (somewhat) defense of the tackles in the AFCCG, when you're an OT in a loud environment, lined up against Miller or Ware and your center is tipping the snap, you're doomed. Period.

That game was on the coaching. They should have caught it and fixed - maybe even use it against the DL. And if they couldn't fix it, Andrews should have been in.

EDIT: ps. I recall reading that Denver was OFF-SIDES 8 times with no call. One sack down by the Pats goal line, Miller was in the backfield before Fleming (or Cannon?) even realized the ball had been snapped.
Have to say blame the OC on that. It drives me crazy when they do not change the snap count.
DW Toys

I had OT as a draft need like everyone else, but in Bill We Trust. Now we have Solder and Vollmer backed up by Waddle (a former starting LT now presumably recovered from the ACL that hampered him last season), and Cannon. OL is still a team thing, and hopefully the tackles will have fewer worries inside with the new additions there, along with 2 of the better blocking TEs and Develin. Sprinkle on the magic Scar dust and we are good to go. Right?

Here are my unworthy thoughts Cousin. Bill is loading up on TEs in FA and UDFA.Why? Bennett is a one year contract. Harbor is a move TE mainly AJ Derby is a TE convert that may or may not work, and perhaps Michael Williams is the new Scar OT project.

My thoughts are that Williams will be put back as an OT. It makes sense will all the moves besides Bennett, you have Harbor, AJ Derby, Scheu, Bryce Williams who some say was a 4th Rounder and a very unique De Runnya Wilson as a move TE who before he ran a 4.8 40 had been picked as a 2nd or 3rd Round WR with 19 TDs over his last two years. A smaller Anquan Bolden ran a 4.71 40 and he ain't that bad. 9 100ths of a second??

If Bennett resigns after a great 2016 that would be super but back to the OT issue.
The forgotten one? I say Michael Williams is back on the line. He knows the system. He should be better in 2016 as far as blocking. He is an athletic OT and 6'6" and 304LBS .He started 9 games..............and now my surprise of the day.....

Mike Adams was just let go by the Steelers in an injury designation still recovering from back surgery. That designation clears him from their books. We have our Docs check him because those are usually iffy and for contract reasons and the Steelers just Drafted an OT and picked up a FA OT Ryan Harris .

Adams was a second Round pick from Ohio State at 6'7" and 323. His Steeler tape was inconsistent but the injury might have dictated that. He is only 26. He has started some at LT and RT. He could play swing as he gets into our system with Scar and heals up more. He is young and if Scar can get him right, he might be a steal. He has the presumed talent. Can he work with Scar?

There you have two more OTs in place.
DW Toys

The Patriots surprisingly didn't draft a Offensive Tackle which tells me that they like LaAdrian Waddle under Dante Scar who will be two years removed for a ACL injury.

I'd be shocked if they don't draft a tackle early next year. I expect a complete revamp of the line next year other aspects of the overall offense(WR/RB etc)

Agree with cousin DW Toys that Mike Williams has value as a Tackle. He has had an entire offseason to train his body for the position.

The OL had a terrible game in Denver. But, it should be pointed out that Denver has IMHO by far the best Home Stadium advantage (apart from the quality of the team) in the NFL, thin air, absolutely insanely loud, berserker fans, etc. The Center was evidently tipping the snap, and it looked like the OT's couldn't hear the snap in the noise, and Volmer, at least, was clearly still severely injured (I don't know how injured Cannon was).

However, didn't anyone watch the Super Bowl? Where Denver did not have that fantastic home field advantage (thin air, insanely loud fans, etc.), but nevertheless embarassed the supposedly very good Carolina line, with 7 sacks in 41 pass attempts? The one where the Carolina right tackle Mike Remmers (where Cannon was playing) played so bad that he practically sounds permanently traumatized?

Mike Remmers on SB: 'I'll be kicking myself' forever

The Patriots OL played lousy, but they were the hardly the only ones to be embarrassed by the Denver pass rush.

Last edited:
I don't get the concern. We have our starting tackles ready to go this year with some okay depth (Cannon, Waddle).

We take a OT with our 1st pick next year and put him at RT and let him take over from Solder if he leaves in 2017. Shouldn't be too hard to pick up a serviceable RT if we need one in the middle rounds or in free agency.

To people saying what happens if Solder and Vollmer go down this year? Well you could say the same about any position, what happens if our starting corners, linebackers, tight ends etc go down? Can't have all-pro depth everywhere.

It has been suggested here in prior threads that a quick scan around the league would show that very few teams have more than two good tackles, and many are struggling to find the second one.

Busting out the old "most women put on some weight in their late 30s" argument isn't going to make my wife any hotter. You see what I'm saying? :)

I think that you have it right. Scar is fine with Waddle and Cannon as our backup OT's. He must believe that at least one of these is capable of starting if one of our starters goes down. There is also the possibility of Vollmer moving to LT if Solder is out.

As you say, we have 2 great blocking TE's, plus a FB.

Also, Scar should be able to find 5 interior OL's from what we have.

Last edited:
Here are my unworthy thoughts Cousin. Bill is loading up on TEs in FA and UDFA.Why? Bennett is a one year contract. Harbor is a move TE mainly AJ Derby is a TE convert that may or may not work, and perhaps Michael Williams is the new Scar OT project.

My thoughts are . . .
DW Toys

Mine are that BB is finally gonna break out the 7-TE offense. Who needs OTs anyway? Let Harbaugh try and figure out who is eligible when you shift that formation . . hee hee ;)

The Patriots have won Super Bowls with Greg Randall, Tom Ashworth and Brandon Gorin starting at RT. They made it to another with Nick Kaczur starting at RT.

Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye