PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Foe Next Week, the Jags ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoPat

Role Player
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
... playing AT our foe the week after next, the Titans ...
lost to Tenn, as you know.

But they dominated total yardage by almost 4:1
and time of possession by almost 3:1
and lost only because of 3 turnovers returned for TDs.

(We, on the other hand, finally
committing zero turnovers
and only 2 penalties - for 10 yards
... because of those two pleasant changes ...
rolled.)

Not to jump ahead but the Jags' defense can be scary. They have fast, physical players. This is the type of defense that could give the offense fits.

Defensively, I'm not terribly concerned if Wilfork plays.

must win game IMHO ...cant leave the div till the last week, because if jets win and we dont, we have to beat tenn or jets have to lose to oak (which looks less likely)...to get into the playoffs...never thought it would come down to this....

The Jags are like Jekyl & Hyde, you never know which Jags team will show up. If Wilfork is available next week, I think we can stop (or slow down) their running game, and their receivers are very inconsistent. At this point in the season, I like our chances against the Jags better than against the Titans. The Titans are en fuego, hopefully they don't make the playoffs.

must win game IMHO ...cant leave the div till the last week, ....

I agree. It would also be nice to have the luxury to rest those who need it on the last week.

Obviously the key to this game is stopping the run. If Wilfork plays I like our chances. If not then it may be a long day for the Pats defense.

I thought I heard a report that Fred Taylor hurt a hammy on a long run and had to run out of bounds instead of rumble in for a TD - if he's hurt than that little rocket from UCLA is the main concern. This will be a good test for the Pats run game too.

Pats run D is still questionable. One reason they're trying out those geriatric LBs lately. I liked taking Vrabes out today and leting backups get game experience. BB wants to know what he has and doesn't have.

The Jags game will be a good test for the Patriots O at this time. They only give up 14.7 pts. per game and 87.1 on the ground. If they stop the Patriots run game it's going to be tough. I expect them to play close to the LOS and dare the Patriots to throw. The Patriots didn't have to throw a bunch today because they got up quickly and the Texans never really threatened and even looked like they threw in the towel pretty fast. The Patriots should have beaten that team 40-7.
The Patriots may have gotten 8 catches by the WR's today but it was for only 35 yards or 4.3 per catch. I went to the Miami game and they only got open a handful of times. Even had Brady gotten more time there weren't plays where a WR was about to come open. They need to get more downfield play from this group. The Jags have the players to play the Patriots similar to how the Dolphins did.

C'mon Steve. Don't be negative. Chad Jackson will have a breakout game.

And, if that is the case, wouldnt it seem logical to ask our OC to change what he did in the Fins game for 3 1/2 quarters before adjusting as soon as he sees that what we are doing is not working, if that is the case????

* As I said I went to that game. I don't care what the OC called, frankly, it wasn't going to work. The Patriots WR's were covered like the were attached to Dolphin DB's as soon as the ball was snapped. It wasn't going to make any difference what pattern they ran. If you can't execute, the play call means nothing.
That's why the best play they ran, a trick play, which they didn't execute properly, was the double pass.

[QUOTE
That is my opinion.....[/QUOTE]

which is good enough for most of us Nem! ;)

I disagree. Yes, they were covered, but what would have been wrong with going to the no huddle , like early in the third quarter. A no huddle takes the defense a little bit out of their sync, and doesnt allow them to make the necessary changes.....

Would it have worked? I dont know, but what we WERE doing , certainly was not working...And, if that is the case, it is pure ignorance to keep doing it and expect a different result.

* Covered recievers in the no huddle are no better than coverd recievers when not in the no huddle. Blame BB for it all you want but the Patriots O was going nowhere in that game. And anyway, Gabriel would have still given the plays away, right? -:) And Vinnie T doesn't know how to call no huddle plays anyway.

I disagree. Yes, they were covered, but what would have been wrong with going to the no huddle , like early in the third quarter. A no huddle takes the defense a little bit out of their sync, and doesnt allow them to make the necessary changes.....

Would it have worked? I dont know, but what we WERE doing , certainly was not working...And, if that is the case, it is pure ignorance to keep doing it and expect a different result.

When you are getting ripped apart by a teams pass rush, the absolute last thing you want to do is go no huddle. The only shot they had at slowing down Jason Taylor and the rest of defensive line was to slow the game itself down.

I know you hate Josh McDaniels but there comes a point where the players just have to make plays, and they did not do that against Miami.

* As I said I went to that game. I don't care what the OC called, frankly, it wasn't going to work. The Patriots WR's were covered like the were attached to Dolphin DB's as soon as the ball was snapped. It wasn't going to make any difference what pattern they ran. If you can't execute, the play call means nothing.
That's why the best play they ran, a trick play, which they didn't execute properly, was the double pass.

Bravo bravo bravo. Playcalls can't be changed up for the sake of changing them up - that is just superstition. Miami had us solved Sunday, much like they have since Brady took over as starting QB - couple that with the "execution" of the offensive line, zero points is about what you can expect.

It seems easy to overlook the fact that when our D has shut down an opposing team's offense (including today) and it was because our D was THAT good; but when a team does that to us, it's because we needed to change the playcalls and that would have cured all. Miami should get their due credit- unless you believe Houston's OC killed their chances by not adjusting the playcalls today :rolleyes:

**yawn**

The OC sucks, why am I shocked to find gambling in the back of Rick's American Cafe?

I thought I heard a report that Fred Taylor hurt a hammy on a long run and had to run out of bounds instead of rumble in for a TD - if he's hurt than that little rocket from UCLA is the main concern. This will be a good test for the Pats run game too.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Dec. 17, 2006) -- Both members of Jacksonville 's talented running back tandem were limping after the Jaguars' 24-17 loss to Tennessee in Week 15.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/JAC/9876475

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey