Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Report says ours will be the first NFL version to have brown rubber pellets instead of black. Not only do we get fake grass, we get fake dirt too!:

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20061117_pats17.32103c8.html

Dream field is coming together

The installation of the FieldTurf surface is progressing quickly as crews work round the clock at Gillette Stadium.
01:00 AM EST on Friday, November 17, 2006

BY SHALISE MANZA YOUNG
Journal Sports Writer

FOXBORO -- Last Sunday, Rob Delmonico was sitting in his usual seat at Gillette Stadium, on the mezzanine level of the south end zone, the rain coming down, and the Jets beating the Patriots.
The wet field -- the one that had been re-sodded only two weeks earlier -- was not holding up well. And in the second half, when franchise quarterback Tom Brady slipped, his knee bending awkwardly, Delmonico knew he'd be getting the phone call.
John Chaffin, watching the game at home, also knew that his phone would be ringing soon enough.
First thing Monday morning, the calls went out. The Krafts could fight no longer. Though the first family of the Patriots had every intention of having natural grass in their stadium, and through no fault of field superintendent Jon Bengston, the New England weather coupled with the massive men who took the field had the grass overmatched.
They would install FieldTurf. Immediately, if not sooner.
That's where Delmonico and Chaffin come in.
Delmonico and his brother, Derek, run R.A.D Sports, which specializes in sports field construction, and Chaffin is regional sales representative for Northeast Turf, a FieldTurf distributor.
Normally, it takes five to six weeks to install a FieldTurf surface from beginning to end. The Patriots needed it done in less than two weeks.
Derek Delmonico arrived at Gillette at 5:30 Tuesday morning, and as of 1 p.m. yesterday, had not yet left the site. The accelerated installation meant three crews would need to work around the clock.
But with so many New England fans on the payroll, it was easy to find guys willing to put in the extra effort.
"This is a dream job for all of the men; it was not a problem getting men to volunteer for 24-hour duty," Rob Delmonico said yesterday, as the final work on the bed of crushed stone was being completed -- a day ahead of schedule. "The Patriots organization has been incredible, feeding the men and helping them get sleep."
Today, the 15x238-foot-long strips of "grass," which Chaffin calls yarn, will be laid over the width of the field, sewed together with special machines and glued to the concrete shelf that rings the outermost edge of the field level.
The Patriots are getting FieldTurf's newest yarn, a monofilament fiber that has a "spine" running vertically through the center of each fiber, giving better bounce-back ability, no matter how many 300-pound linemen land on it. In company testing of the new fiber, it is showing to have greater durability than previous yarns, meaning the Gillette Field will likely last longer than the 10- to 12-year life expectancy for older fields.
Once the fibers are sewn up, the infill -- 10 pounds per square foot -- will be laid down. The fill is a mixture of washed silica sand and cryogenically processed rubber, which is frozen to minus-130 degrees, shattered, and any steel removed by going through a series of magnets.
But while nearly every FieldTurf project has black rubber, New England is paying to have special brown rubber in its infill, giving the turf an even more natural look, Chaffin said. The Patriots will be the first NFL team with the brown rubber-silica infill mix; Marquette University is the only other field to have it.
Given the field's area of 94,000 square feet, nearly one million pounds of infill will be used.
The turf at Gillette will initially be all green, but machines developed just for the fibers will make it easy for the stadium crew to easily change the field lines from football to soccer or lacrosse -- the stadium is hosting the NCAA men's lacrosse Final Four in 2008.
With the drainage system already in place under the stadium, the rock bed and infill, Chaffin said the new field will be able to withstand up to 50 inches of rain per hour before puddles become a problem.
That's a far cry from last Sunday, when one bad slip in the mud could have cost New England its Franchise. It's an added bonus that Brady is 19-1 in his career on the surface.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tune!
I've passed it on to a few more folks who were asking about that.

Tune I know you are just posting a link, but the article has some bogus data.

1. They are working aroung the clock to get this done. Ummmm nope. I turned on the razor cam last night at 10 and guess what I saw? Darkness with a couple of lights not even close to the field. It has been that way for the last 2 nights. Bogus news. Right now on cam there is 1 vehicle pulling a leveling rake behind it. The article makes it sound like there is this great sense of urgency, when there clearly isn't

2. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but that new field aint brown! It is gray. Maybe a brown padding layer goes over the gray stuff then the turf on top??? I am not sure, but that field aint brown right now like the article implies.

3. The lifespan of 10-12 years is a bogus point. This stadium isn't a low usage stadium. Kraft milks every venue he can. I would not be suprised to see new turf needed within 6-8 years. That is why the field was in bad shape in the first place.

Digger44 said:

1. They are working aroung the clock to get this done. Ummmm nope. I turned on the razor cam last night at 10 and guess what I saw? Darkness with a couple of lights not even close to the field. It has been that way for the last 2 nights. Bogus news. Right now on cam there is 1 vehicle pulling a leveling rake behind it. The article makes it sound like there is this great sense of urgency, when there clearly isn't

2. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but that new field aint brown! It is gray. Maybe a brown padding layer goes over the gray stuff then the turf on top??? I am not sure, but that field aint brown right now like the article implies.

3. The lifespan of 10-12 years is a bogus point. This stadium isn't a low usage stadium. Kraft milks every venue he can. I would not be suprised to see new turf needed within 6-8 years. That is why the field was in bad shape in the first place.

My understanding -- which could be wrong -- is that the sand/rubber pellet mix is added AFTER the turf is laid, so what we're seeing (the gray stuff) perhaps is a sub-layer for drainage.

Tunescribe said:
My understanding -- which could be wrong -- is that the sand/rubber pellet mix is added AFTER the turf is laid, so what we're seeing (the gray stuff) perhaps is a sub-layer for drainage.

So it would appear like dirt sprinkled into a carpet that works as a shock absorber? This is pretty wild stuff. I did read an article that nike sneakers are gound into some layer. I wonder if that is the gray stuff.

I find it pretty ironic that they're replacing what was criticized as 'sand' with.. um.. sand (and it's rubberized cousin).

Digger44 said:

The field isnt finished yet, the gray is the lower layer that you wont see. Once the turf is layed the brown pellets are layed down to provide footing. So yes you are jumping the gun.

The Gr8est said:
Sorry to be a voice of discord her, but I have read about issues with Clevland Browns players suffering a lot of staph infections which may possibly be linked to the turf field they practice on. Hope we won't have any issues like this with the new surface.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-browns-bentleyinfection&prov=ap&type=lgns
It is a problem with colleges and high school fields, too. It's kind of ironic that pesticides are still needed on artificial fields, albeit the targets are a lot smaller. Having watched the Mrs. deal with a hospital-born Staph infection after delivering the new kid over the summer, it can be scary. And just like any bacteria, the ones living in the turf can build up a tolerance to the bactericides.

Can you give a link to the razor cam? I've looked and can't find it...
Thanks,

The Gr8est said:
Sorry to be a voice of discord her, but I have read about issues with Clevland Browns players suffering a lot of staph infections which may possibly be linked to the turf field they practice on. Hope we won't have any issues like this with the new surface.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-browns-bentleyinfection&prov=ap&type=lgns

That's not good, not good at all. Talk about a buzz-kill. Now I'm going to be worried about injuries and the possibility of staph infections too. Those can be VERY serious and possibly career ending too. Holy S!

What makes a Fieldturf field more likely to carry disease than a regular field?

The ground is dirty no matter what, but it's curious that the artificial surface would spread disease and real dirt would not. What gives?

Somebody with some science knowledge shed some light, because that's not making sense to me.

Battaglia said:
The field isnt finished yet, the gray is the lower layer that you wont see. Once the turf is layed the brown pellets are layed down to provide footing. So yes you are jumping the gun.

Yes I know the field isn't finished yet. Did you honestly think I was saying it is finished? Way to go in discussing all three points I made instead of taking a pot shot on one statement. Thank you so much for your intellectual input.

Digger44 said:
Yes I know the field isn't finished yet. Did you honestly think I was saying it is finished? Way to go in discussing all three points I made instead of taking a pot shot on one statement. Thank you so much for your intellectual input.

I thought the reply was simply providing an answer to a question you asked. :confused: Not sure at all how it was a potshot. Maybe you need a pot shot, take the edge off. When he said 'yes you are jumping the gun' it was in reply to your statement that 'maybe I'm jumping the gun here' from the quoted text. Don't look for fights Digger, all too often you'll find them where they don't exist!

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
I thought the reply was simply providing an answer to a question you asked. :confused: Not sure at all how it was a potshot. Maybe you need a pot shot, take the edge off. When he said 'yes you are jumping the gun' it was in reply to your statement that 'maybe I'm jumping the gun here' from the quoted text. Don't look for fights Digger, all too often you'll find them where they don't exist!

ok ty Brownfan80. I do wish he addressed the whole post.

Brownfan80 said:
What makes a Fieldturf field more likely to carry disease than a regular field?

The ground is dirty no matter what, but it's curious that the artificial surface would spread disease and real dirt would not. What gives?

Somebody with some science knowledge shed some light, because that's not making sense to me.

This is just a guess on my part but I suspect the main problem is with indoor facilities. The controlled environment, with constant warm temperatures would be more conducive for the bacteria to survive and spread. Add the blood, sweat, tears, spit and whatever else that gets spilled out in the field and there you go.

Not that there wouldn?t be a concern for outdoor facilities, but with Foxboro?s temperature extremes, hot, cold, freezing, snow melting, and rain to wash the nasties away hopefully they won?t get into the same type of problems. The sun shining on the field may even help out too?

TPL said:
This is just a guess on my part but I suspect the main problem is with indoor facilities. The controlled environment, with constant warm temperatures would be more conducive for the bacteria to survive and spread. Add the blood, sweat, tears, spit and whatever else that gets spilled out in the field and there you go.

Not that there wouldn?t be a concern for outdoor facilities, but with Foxboro?s temperature extremes, hot, cold, freezing, snow melting, and rain to wash the nasties away hopefully they won?t get into the same type of problems. The sun shining on the field may even help out too?

That seems like a pretty logical statement. I hope your right. Even if you are not, I don't think BK would allow for poor health due to a field. The Colts use this stuff and I have never heard any bad stuff by Peyton. If there was anyone who would whine, it would be Peyton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back