DB Nate Jones - bye
C Dan Koppen - may pick him over Connelly, I'd re-sign whoever is cheaper
LB Niko Koutouvides - try to re-sign at league minimum
S Bret Lockett* - try to resign at league minimum
DL Kyle Love** - Exclusive rights, not an issue
CB Antwaun Molden - bye
WR/S Matthew Slater - try to resign at excellent ST money
DL Gerard Warren - bye
WR Wes Welker - Franchise, no long term deal at his age unless it's team favorable
LB Tracy White - try to re-sign at good ST money

Long list but not a lot we have to sign. I'd like to re-sign Connelly or Koppen and draft a younger guy behind him. Or McDonald could be the younger guy if they like him enough.

I'd really like to keep Carter. I'd Franchise Wes, not sure I'd give him 4 years/$40M given his age. Benny could get a good offer but it's a fairly deep RB draft, he may not get a big offer. I'd keep him at reasonable money but not overpay.

List per Reiss, and what I'd try to do with them :

DE Mark Anderson - try to re-sign at backup, spot starter money
WR Deion Branch - try to re-sign at backup money
DE Andre Carter - try to re-sign at low level starter money
OL Dan Connolly - try to re-sign at low level starter money
DE Shaun Ellis - bye
RB Kevin Faulk - happy retirement
RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis - try to re-sign at mid range starter money
LB Gary Guyton - bye
QB Brian Hoyer* - tender at 2nd round level, try to trade
S James Ihedigbo - try to re-sign at backup money
DB Nate Jones - bye
CB Antwaun Molden - bye
DL Gerard Warren - bye
WR Wes Welker - Franchise, no long term deal at his age unless it's team favorable

Long list but not a lot we have to sign. I'd like to re-sign Connelly or Koppen and draft a younger guy behind him. Or McDonald could be the younger guy if they like him enough.

I'd really like to keep Carter. I'd Franchise Wes, not sure I'd give him 4 years/$40M given his age. Benny could get a good offer but it's a fairly deep RB draft, he may not get a big offer. I'd keep him at reasonable money but not overpay.

Franchising Welker would be crazy. I'm not sure what top 5 wr pay is but Fitzgerald just bumped it up enormously with his ridiculous contract. I'm hoping for a respectable 3 year deal my self that doesn't kill our chances of signing a Brandon Lloyd type of wr to help out.

I loved the way Connolly played this season. Doesn't seem to have the trouble with bull rushers that Koppen has. Personally I'd like to see Connolly back myself.

I'm kind of up in the air with Carter. Again I'm hoping for a cap friendly number given his age and his injury status

Agreed all around, Welker I would definitely throw the big money at. Just the way he came back from an ACL way faster than anyone thought and his overall durability gives me reason to believe he's a physical freak and should provide at least 3-4 more years at this level. That's easily worth $9-10 mill/year in this market.

After him, Carter and Anderson may be the only ones that are tough to resign, but hopefully I'm wrong there and they come back on the cheap. Maybe Connolly too since he filled in so well and looks like he could be a long term starter on the interior OL.

Franchising Welker would be crazy. I'm not sure what top 5 wr pay is but Fitzgerald just bumped it up enormously with his ridiculous contract. I'm hoping for a respectable 3 year deal my self that doesn't kill our chances of signing a Brandon Lloyd type of wr to help out.
The Franchise number for WR is about $9.4M. That's affordable for one year, I'd only do 3 years if it came at about $20M total and I'm guessing he's looking for more than that.

I loved the way Connolly played this season. Doesn't seem to have the trouble with bull rushers that Koppen has. Personally I'd like to see Connolly back myself.

I'm kind of up in the air with Carter. Again I'm hoping for a cap friendly number given his age and his injury status

The Franchise tag for WRs is going down this year and is around $9 million. That is less than what Welker can probably get on the open market. Franchising Welker would be smart if they can't get him to take a short term deal.

I agree with Connolly over Koppen. Koppen has been declining the last few years. Either way, neither will break the bank.

Carter will be getting an one or two year deal no matter where he goes. He is too old to get a huge deal at this point. He said this is the best place he has ever played. So he might come cheap.

The Franchise number for WR is about $9.4M. That's affordable for one year, I'd only do 3 years if it came at about $20M total and I'm guessing he's looking for more than that.

It'll take a little bit of time, and they might have to franchise him to get it done. I'd put the odds that Welker isn't a Patriot next year at about the same odds that Jerod Mayo isn't.

It'll take a little bit of time, and they might have to franchise him to get it done. I'd put the odds that Welker isn't a Patriot next year at about the same odds that Jerod Mayo isn't.
He'll be a Patriot next year but I think it's at least 50-50 it will be as a Franchised player. Next year will be his 6th year with us, lots of hits on a small, aging body; not sure how many years they'll want to lock themselves into.

Branch says he wants to retire here. He will be resigned on an one year veteran minimum contract just like Faulk did his last few years here. He will be playing here on a year by year basis.

Branch says he wants to retire here. He will be resigned on an one year veteran minimum contract just like Faulk did his last few years here. He will be playing here on a year by year basis.

I would not be surprised if Branch isn't on the team next year. He know longer is respected by opposing teams and doesn't create separation. IMO, the only way he stays is if Brady can convince BB that he needs him because of his route running abilities.

Last edited:
List per Reiss, and what I'd try to do with them :

DE Andre Carter - try to re-sign at low level starter money
DE Shaun Ellis - bye
RB Kevin Faulk - happy retirement
LB Gary Guyton - bye
QB Brian Hoyer* - tender at 2nd round level, try to trade
DB Nate Jones - bye
CB Antwaun Molden - bye
DL Gerard Warren - bye

The problem with Anderson is that he wasn't brought here to play all three downs. Hes was here as a sub rusher and was a huge upgrade on TBC.

Not sure what carter did to deserev low level starter money. If i'm a 4-3 team i would give him 2 years with some upfront money

Also, its kind of sad/funny that there are 6 starters from the SB that you would classify as really not a priority. Rigt or wrong, thats an eye opener

LB Tracy White - try to re-sign at good ST money[/I]

I would not be surprised if Branch isn't on the team next year. He know longer is respected by opposing teams and doesn't create separation. IMO, the only way he stays is if Brady can convince BB that he needs him because of his route running abilities.

I think he will be on the team as the #3 WR or possibly #4 WR behind Welker and possibly Brandon Lloyd (who said he wants to follow McDaniels and the Pats tried to trade for this past season). He isn't the Pats' #2 WR behind Welker, but he can be valuable as a #3 or #4 WR.

Also, its kind of sad/funny that there are 6 starters from the SB that you would classify as really not a priority. Right or wrong, thats an eye opener

It is what it is, I wouldn't pay a lot of money to any of these. I like Benny the best but we drafted Ridley and Vereen last year for this reason.

only people i want from that list is Anderson Slater(only for sp) White(only for SP i never ever ever ever ever want to see this guy again on the field as a lb) Welker, Connolly(BEAST)

DE Mark Anderson = one trick pony only has one move TBC part 2 goodbye.:snob:

Get Welker to the table early while he is down on himself, harsh, but he would likely sign a reasonable 3-4 year deal.

I would like to see Ellis and Warren make it to camp and hopefully have some new competition in there and see how they look with the experience and full offseason work.

Branch is a good reserve only, his MVP days sailed years ago. Like to have him back but I am hoping there is someone else who can beat him out for the starting job.

Anderson and Carter are valuable IMO and should be brought back.

This defense was coming around, talent must be infused in the backfield...that should be close to #1 on the priority list

Last edited:
I think he will be on the team as the #3 WR or possibly #4 WR behind Welker and possibly Brandon Lloyd (who said he wants to follow McDaniels and the Pats tried to trade for this past season). He isn't the Pats' #2 WR behind Welker, but he can be valuable as a #3 or #4 WR.

Branch will NOT be on this Team next year...he's done haven't you all seen the games...he has dissappeared numerous times this year. Branch only make plays on Broken coverages. Time for young blood with SPEED.

It is what it is, I wouldn't pay a lot of money to any of these. I like Benny the best but we drafted Ridley and Vereen last year for this reason.

The Pats didn't draft Vereen and Ridley to replace BJGE so much as to replace Morris and Taylor (and possibly Faulk, depending on his rehab).

Branch will NOT be on this Team next year...he's done haven't you all seen the games...he has dissappeared numerous times this year. Branch only make plays on Broken coverages. Time for young blood with SPEED.

Problem is, we can't draft a WR for ****.

He isn't done. He just isn't a starter anymore. He doesn't just make plays on broken coverage or are forgetting the 85 yard TD he made vs. the Broncos with great coverage.

Branch would be a pretty good reserve. He just can't be the #1 outside threat. He has something left, just not as a starter. You add Brandon Lloyd and he can put up similiar numbers this year as the Pats' #3 WR (51 catches, 702 yards, 5 TDs). Not great #s for a #2 WR (although not the worst), but very good numbers for a #3.

I mean Branch had the same amount of catches and more yards than the Jets #1 WR, Santonio Holmes, who got 654 yards on 51 catches. And Branch was typically the fourth option on this team.

Last edited:
I don't particularly care whether BJGE and Branch are retained or not.

If they are, they absolutely should not be starting for us next year. Branch is a #4 type at this point in his career, and BJGE is not a feature back. We badly need more explosive play out of our backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down