PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrazyeye

On the Roster
Reaction score
In a draft where we expected the Pats to focus on defense they shocked us all and while these picks don't seem groundbreaking, they are all solid picks. I am overjoyed with this draft because I believe that all of these players can help this team.
Maroney- whens the last time we had a young running back of this caliber in our system? He's got the speed, power and vision to be great.

Jackson- I thought he was the top rated reciever and a man who lives over the middle. Great value pick

Thomas- Magnet hands and a good character guy. Plays special teams, long snaps (though I don't think reliably) and just knows how to get open

Mills- Has the potential to turn into one of the best recieving fullbacks/h-backs thats been around in a while. Just another weapon for Brady

Mincey- An OLB or ILB project who has a nonstop motor. A guy they seemed pretty high on

Stevenson- A guy I dont know much about but seems like a Pats player

Smith- If he can play up to his potential, will be a force and a great back up to wilfork

Andrews- A cornerback prospect who is a project, but thats what you get in the 7th

Whats not to like about this draft?? All COULD be solid contributors. Great draft!

Gostowski- If the Pats picked this kicker this high, they must believe in him. He will be our kicker of the future

O'Callaghan- Massive tackle who could be a force at RT if he can stay healthy

I think that the Pats spent too much on offense. Honestly. With issues at OLB and ILB, and with this draft being extremely deep, I expected the Pats to draft 2 or 3 LBs to develop behind everyone. I was very disappointed that only MINCEY was drafted.

Because of that, I can only grade them a C+.

I don't care for the pick of Andrews. An undersized SS who kick returns? The Pats have a stacked secondary as it is. I don't see Andrews forcing the team to carry 11 DBs.

I question the pick of Stevenson when you don't address the center position. LeKevin Smith has 2 bad knees that he's had surgery on. Its a shot in the dark on whether he'll make the team. I think the team reached for Gostkowski.

I was also disappointed in the pick of Maroney. I still think Manny Lawson was a better choice over Maroney. So, even grabbing Jackson, Thomas, Mills and O'Callaghan doesn't outweigh the negatives from my viewpoint.

DaBruinz said:
I think that the Pats spent too much on offense. Honestly. With issues at OLB and ILB, and with this draft being extremely deep, I expected the Pats to draft 2 or 3 LBs to develop behind everyone. I was very disappointed that only MINCEY was drafted.

I don't care for the pick of Andrews. An undersized SS who kick returns? The Pats have a stacked secondary as it is. I don't see Andrews forcing the team to carry 11 DBs.

I question the pick of Stevenson when you don't address the center position. LeKevin Smith has 2 bad knees that he's had surgery on. Its a shot in the dark on whether he'll make the team. I think the team reached for Gostkowski.

I was also disappointed in the pick of Maroney. I still think Manny Lawson was a better choice over Maroney. So, even grabbing Jackson, Thomas, Mills and O'Callaghan doesn't outweigh the negatives from my viewpoint.

calling maroney a negative, just cause you wanted Lawson is a bit daft! quite daft!

he was the best offensive player on the board and also addressed one of our greatest needs going forward....lawson would have been the same on the defensive side...it's just obvious to me that the felt they owed it to Tom to give him some weapons....

DaBruinz said:

[/ was also disappointed in the pick of Maroney. I still think Manny Lawson was aQUOTE]

I am hoping that the Pats sign Patt Ross, BC Center as a free agent. I was surprised he didnt get drafted and the pedigree from BC has worked well for the Pats in the past.

DaBruinz said:

The Pats typically don't draft LBs, instead preferring to bring them in via FA.

DaBruinz said:

He could move to CB, because it's probably not hard to beat out Poteat. Even if he doesn't make the team, he's a 7th round pick.

DaBruinz said:
I question the pick of Stevenson when you don't address the center position.

Hochstein is our center depth.

DaBruinz said:
LeKevin Smith has 2 bad knees that he's had surgery on. Its a shot in the dark on whether he'll make the team.

I doubt it. I think this signals (thank god) the end of the Klecko experiment.

DaBruinz said:
I think the team reached for Gostkowski.

I thought the team reached for Mankins, too, because they knew he wouldn't be there by their next pick. Given how important finding a good K is, I don't have the slightest problem with it. I'd rather reach and get the player than wait and have him slip through our grasp.

DaBruinz said:

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Maroney was a smart pick, unless you want to see Faulk, Pass, and Evans running out of the backfield again if and when Dillon gets injured.

ayjackson said:
calling maroney a negative, just cause you wanted Lawson is a bit daft! quite daft!

he was the best offensive player on the board and also addressed one of our greatest needs going forward....lawson would have been the same on the defensive side...it's just obvious to me that the felt they owed it to Tom to give him some weapons....

Jesus. Like they've never gotten Brady some weapons. THAT is frigging daft.

Graham. Watson. Dillon. Branch. Caldwell.

They spent 7 picks on offense. The bigger problem was on DEFENSE last year or does the defense being ranked in the 20s not mean anything? Especially when they lost McGinest and Chatham.

Sorry, but I disagree that RB was the Pats GREATEST need moving forward.

Has anybody thought ...

... that one of the messages of the draft is about Special Teams?

I know all draft picks have been coached to say that "I want to help the team any way I can" but it's notable how many of our picks have serious Special Teams potential.

I can't wait to see our offense in action next year. It should be a lot of fun. I also expect to see a few Defensive Free Agents signed in the coming weeks.

DaBruinz said:

I wouldn't call Graham or Caldwell offensive weapons...

DaBruinz said:
They spent 7 picks on offense. The bigger problem was on DEFENSE last year or does the defense being ranked in the 20s not mean anything? Especially when they lost McGinest and Chatham.

A lot of that was due to horrendous luck with injuries. That being said, I expect them to bring in a FA or two for the defense.

If I could have changed any pick in the draft, I would have liked to have seen us take Gabe Watson with our first pick in the 4th, instead of Mills. Watson went with the next pick, and I believe he would give us a solid backup at that position and could step in if needed. Now we are pretty think at back up NT, and we how important the NG is to the Pats D.

Liked the O'Callaghan pick a lot.

DaBruinz said:

"one of our greatest" was the quotes

dillon's a walking mash unit, caldwell's never done anything in this league, branch is our only wideout, and the writing is on the wall for graham after this year.....Brady has always made the most out of the talent around him....we had to retool him going forward....defence will probably be the focus again in next year's draft

JackBauer said:
The Pats typically don't draft LBs, instead preferring to bring them in via FA.

So, they again don't do much to address the situation. At some point they have to start teaching these kids instead of trying to pick players from other teams. You are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage by not developing the players yourself.

JackBauer said:
He could move to CB, because it's probably not hard to beat out Poteat. Even if he doesn't make the team, he's a 7th round pick.

Andrews is 5'9. Yes, he's fast. Sure, he can hit. But that doesn't help the Pats when they can't afford to carry even 10 DBs again.

JackBauer said:
Hochstein is our center depth.
*ROFLMAO* Hochstein was barely frigging adequate last year. Sorry, but Hochstein doesn't have the ability to be a regular starter. Relying on him when there are questions about Koppen's shoulder scares the bejesus out of me. The running game took a HUGE hit with Koppen out.

JackBauer said:
I doubt it. I think this signals (thank god) the end of the Klecko experiment.
I doubt that LeKevin Smith will affect Klecko's status. I think its more likely that guys like Thomas and Mills (who have good special teams skills) will push Klecko off the team.

JackBauer said:
I thought the team reached for Mankins, too, because they knew he wouldn't be there by their next pick. Given how important finding a good K is, I don't have the slightest problem with it. I'd rather reach and get the player than wait and have him slip through our grasp.

Fair enough.

JackBauer said:
I guess we'll agree to disagree. Maroney was a smart pick, unless you want to see Faulk, Pass, and Evans running out of the backfield again if and when Dillon gets injured.

There were other RBs that the Patriots could have drafted later in the draft . Who could be the reserve RB. You're making a HUGE assumption that Dillon is going to get hurt. Pass, who I don't think will be here come September because of the addition of Mills, ran very well behind the line until Koppen went down.

you have to understand that if BB thought that Lawson would have helped our team more then he would have picked him. The patriots pick the players that will help our team the most, not what our greatest need is. The pats just don't trust in college linebackers/ends enough to take them early and ill beleive that till im proven wrong. I think that our offense is significantly better with help among the line, WR, RB, TE and FB position. Having guys like thomas and mills means there is always a reliable target to dump off to. no one is saying these guys will be superstars, jsut solid additions to a football team.

JackBauer said:
I wouldn't call Graham or Caldwell offensive weapons...

Graham and Caldwell BOTH are offensive weapons. Graham hasn't been allowed to be used that way more because of the injuries to the Tackles and his being STUCK in there having to help Gorin out.

JackBauer said:
A lot of that was due to horrendous luck with injuries. That being said, I expect them to bring in a FA or two for the defense.
Some of it was horrendous luck with injuries. But, even adding all the players injured back to the team, you are short your best OLB at the very least. Plus, Vrabel and Bruschi are a year older.

Yes, they have Claridge, Beisel and TBC, but TBC hasn't done anything in 3 years. Beisel, while I think he will do well, needs to step up and show it. Claridge is a huge question mark. While the reports coming out of camp last year were that Claridge was doing well in TJ's spot, he's not been out there yet.

And that doesn't address the DEPTH they don't have there.

DaBruinz said:
So, they again don't do much to address the situation. At some point they have to start teaching these kids instead of trying to pick players from other teams. You are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage by not developing the players yourself.

Perhaps. But that's been their method since they got here and you can't argue with the results. Of course, some FA aquisitions miss (Brown), but it happens to the best.

Even if we DID draft prospects for LB, they probably would have little impact next year, or if they did, it would probably be Beisel-esque, given the learning curve.

DaBruinz said:
Andrews is 5'9. Yes, he's fast. Sure, he can hit. But that doesn't help the Pats when they can't afford to carry even 10 DBs again.

Samuel
Hobbs
Gay
Warfield
Scott
Andrews
Harrison (PUP)
Wilson
Jones
Scott/Sanders
Hawkins
Mitchell

Who knows how that's going to shake up. Either way, it was a 7th round pick ... probably not going to get a lasting player, regardless of position.

DaBruinz said:
*ROFLMAO* Hochstein was barely frigging adequate last year. Sorry, but Hochstein doesn't have the ability to be a regular starter. Relying on him when there are questions about Koppen's shoulder scares the bejesus out of me. The running game took a HUGE hit with Koppen out.

Um, OK. Hochstein started in the Super Bowl against one of the best DL's in the league. Of course I wouldn't want him at a starter, but obviously the staff feels fine with him as a backup. This also speaks well to Koppen's injury status.

Also, the entire OL sucked at run blocking last year (Dillon sucked, too).

DaBruinz said:
I doubt that LeKevin Smith will affect Klecko's status.

I think its more likely that guys like Thomas and Mills (who have good special teams skills) will push Klecko off the team.

Or a combination of both. We shouldn't waste a roster spot on Klecko.

DaBruinz said:
There were other RBs that the Patriots could have drafted later in the draft. Who could be the reserve RB. You're making a HUGE assumption that Dillon is going to get hurt. Pass, who I don't think will be here come September because of the addition of Mills, ran very well behind the line until Koppen went down.

Is it really a HUGE assumption? I'm saying, what if it does happen? We need to have a better backup and begin planning for the future. I think a running back-by-committee approach is in store in 2006, until Maroney is ready to start.

DaBruinz said:
Graham and Caldwell BOTH are offensive weapons. Graham hasn't been allowed to be used that way more because of the injuries to the Tackles and his being STUCK in there having to help Gorin out.

Sorry, neither are offensive weapons.

When I say weapons, I'm talking Gonzalez and Gates at TE (like Watson has the potential to be) and any ~1,000 yard receiver. Caldwell isn't CLOSE to a weapon until he can put up numbers and stay healthy.

thecrazyeye said:
you have to understand that if BB thought that Lawson would have helped our team more then he would have picked him. The patriots pick the players that will help our team the most, not what our greatest need is. The pats just don't trust in college linebackers/ends enough to take them early and ill beleive that till im proven wrong. I think that our offense is significantly better with help among the line, WR, RB, TE and FB position. Having guys like thomas and mills means there is always a reliable target to dump off to. no one is saying these guys will be superstars, jsut solid additions to a football team.

What I understand is that Maroney on the bench except for 10 carries a game isn't going to help the Pats MORE than Lawson on the field for 30-70 plays a game.

Also, at some point, the Patriots are going to have to develop their own LBs. If they don't, then will have to rely on other people to develop them. And, any time you have to rely on others, you are putting yourself in a bad position when it comes to training.

I didn't have a problem with the Thomas and Jackson picks. Even the Mills pick I understand. That's not what I have issue with. What I have issue with is that BB has contradicted himself with how he has built the team to this point with the drafting of Maroney. Everything he's said is that you build from the lines up. And he's implied that the OLB position was the 2nd tier of the lines. If that is the case, then how is Lawson not the player to chose?

JackBauer said:
Sorry, neither are offensive weapons.

When I say weapons, I'm talking Gonzalez and Gates at TE (like Watson has the potential to be) and any ~1,000 yard receiver. Caldwell isn't CLOSE to a weapon until he can put up numbers and stay healthy.

Give me a break. THen NONE of the players on the Pats other than Branch is a weapon according to you. And that's BS.

DaBruinz said:

You don't? I do. Dillon/Faulk are the only options heading into the draft. Now they have a horse that should be their franchise back for the next 5-7 years.

They have a ton of DB's, and do have young LB's in Claridge and Banta-Cain. Colvin is still young as is our entire D-Line.

RB was the only position that the Pats had significant age and no answers for in regards to the future.

DaBruinz said:
Give me a break. THen NONE of the players on the Pats other than Branch is a weapon according to you. And that's BS.

No, none of the other players on offense are bona fide weapons, except Branch (and I think Watson will be).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes