PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Defensive Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
anyone know why we dont jam the receivers at the line ? this is something i see as a big difference between our DB's now and in the past. is it dependent on the players we have now or the scheme ? Law and otis and all never played so far off the line as i see hobbs and samuel play.

I would like to see more of this. It could be because we've had a banged up Harrison for three straight Indy games. Just like with Moss, it's easy to say "jam the WR" but if the WR can beat the jam (see : Moss, Randy) then you have a problem especially with inexperienced Safeties.

Our current group isn't as physical as Law & Milloy. As mentioned, you take a risk by trying to get the jam, and if you miss it, it's lights out with a quick over the top pass.
Jamming Harrison and testing that knee should be a priority in the first quarter to establish how they'll play him throughout the game.

It depends on the scheme. Our main goal is not allowing the big play. If they don't have safety help over the top it's too risky to play that tight. If you watch the bengals game, Hobbs was bumping and playing CJ tight very often. I'm pretty sure CJ was being doubled therefore the scheme allowed Hobbs to stay tight and bump him at the line.

Last edited:
Because we are in zone 85% of the time. Complex zones I should add as well. Our shell will never reveal to the offense where the double team is coming from, nor which coverage we are in, except when we play man.
At the snap of the ball, the cover 2, becomes a cover 3 or 4 or some variation thereof.

The key to the game defensively is how does BB take away the TE/RB check downs that killed us in the second half last year, without sacrificing anything deep?

I wish it would happen more often. Hell, we owned the Colts when we would do that. In the past 3 losses I recall seeing that annoying camerashot where our DBs aren't even in the screen they are giving so much cushion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots