PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Defense - Biggest Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of Wilfork and Haynesworth playing one gap and terrorizing QBs is bordering on wet dream territory.

However, the reality is this... There is a better than 50-50 chance Haynesworth implodes or never even sees the field.

So then what do you have? No pass rush and a depleted D-Line. I realize the wheeling and dealing period has just begun, but at this moment that's where we're at.

What is with this 50-50 stuff of Haynesworth imploding and 'never seeing the field'? He saw the field last year with a coach who hated him in a place he obviously didn't want to be.

Is Haynesworth a scumbag? Signs point to yes. Can he play football? Signs also point to yes.

What is with this 50-50 stuff of Haynesworth imploding and 'never seeing the field'? He saw the field last year with a coach who hated him in a place he obviously didn't want to be.

Is Haynesworth a scumbag? Signs point to yes. Can he play football? Signs also point to yes.

Can he play yes. Is football important to him..no. The only leverage we have against him with regards to incentive to play is financial. That being said, the guy is definitely not right upstairs. People like him aren't rational and usually self destruct.

Unless he does a complete 180 and has a come to Jesus moment, this guy will be dead or in jail within 10 years.

I think all the Pats want out of this dude is one good year.

Last edited:
Two words: Manny Lawson. He can rush and he's good in coverage. That would allow Cunningham to be your main rusher. Fits the 3-4 perfectly.

Too many posts, while evaluating our defense, throw in the now-obligatory line "and if Meriweather turns out to be good like he should've been" etc. etc. He is what he is. Let's admit it. Stop hoping for that year-five personality transplant.

I would like for them to add another DL through trade or FA.Get a Cullen Jenkins for the right price or trade for Osi.Even Manny Lawson.Just get another body in the DL.

The defensive backfield looks to be the most solid group at this stage. I'm hoping for a solid FA acquisition at linebacker.

I'm curious how our young defensive linemen look. I think we're going to need 2 or 3 to play well from this group. I feel a lot depends on their off season workouts and conditioning. Will be looking forward to hearing any first hand reports on these guys.

Ron Brace - Hoping he starts at LDE in a 3-4. Solid play against the run should keep him on the field with M. Wright coming in to rush the passer.

Brandon Deaderick - Going to see a lot of time at RDE rotating with Albert Haynesworth. If he works at it.

Kyle Love - Can he backup Vince at NG?

Myron Pryor - Pretty good pass rusher as a 4-3 dt if we use that a lot.

Darryl Richard - Was hearing good reports on him last year. Who knows.

Kade Weston - See Darry Richard

The idea of Wilfork and Haynesworth playing one gap and terrorizing QBs is bordering on wet dream territory.

However, the reality is this... There is a better than 50-50 chance Haynesworth implodes or never even sees the field.

So then what do you have? No pass rush and a depleted D-Line. I realize the wheeling and dealing period has just begun, but at this moment that's where we're at.

I think you've just confused 'reality' with a completely fabricated scenario, based almost completely on arbitrary percentage of 50/50 that a certain player 'implodes'.

Easily done, I guess.

In the front 7, Spikes and Deaderick are the two that I dunno how they'd fit into a base 4-3. The rest could probably pull it off with varying levels of success, but any change going forward will be pretty clearly reflected in who thy target from here, I'd think.

If we goto 4-3, Mayo plays Will becaus of his sideline to sideline range, Spike plays the Mike, and Cunningham can play the Sam. Then Ninkovich, Guyton, and Fletcher play backup roles. This certainly helps solve our depth issues at LB.

As for DL Wright could certainly play one DE, I'm not sure who'd play the other, Moore? We might look to acquire a passrushing DE which I think is an easier to find commodity than a guy who can fit BB's strict requirements for 3-4 OLB.

I think you've just confused 'reality' with a completely fabricated scenario, based almost completely on arbitrary percentage of 50/50 that a certain player 'implodes'.

Easily done, I guess.

I know your trying to sound intelligent, but apparently deductive reasoning is above your pay grade.

Observing patterns of behavior, any person should be able to make reasonable assumptions and present a potential outcome.

If I changed 50/50 to hit or miss...would that make me more accurate?

Reality shows this guy is one of the biggest headaches currently in the league.

A bad seed. So my fabrication is totally off base?

Last edited:
I know your trying to sound intelligent, but apparently deductive reasoning is apparently above your pay grade.

Observing patterns of behavior, any person should be able to present reasonable assumptions and present a potential outcome.

If I changed 50/50 to hit or miss...would that make me more accurate?

Reality shows this guy is one of the biggest headaches currently in the league.

A bad seed. So my fabrication is totally off base?

I'll keep it fairly brief.

Just because you have two possible outcomes (hit and miss) it does not necessarily follow that they are of equal likelihood.

Your theory was heavily dependent on this faulty reasoning.

I'll keep it fairly brief.

Just because you have two possible outcomes (hit and miss) it does not necessarily follow that they are of equal likelihood.

Your theory was heavily dependent on this faulty reasoning.

With your argument, you have to brief.

Yours is a semantic argument. Strangely, had I said 60-40 or 70-30 in favor of a successful outcome, I doubt you'd have as much of an issue. 50/50 is too close to failure for a fan.

In light of the current situation. 50/50 is as good a starting point as any based upon the facts at hand.

Prove me wrong. Based on the facts at this point....what is a realistic outcome?

Yours is a semantic argument. Strangely, had I said 60-40 or 70-30 in favor of a successful outcome, I doubt you'd have as much of an issue. 50/50 is too close to failure for a fan.

In light of the current situation. 50/50 is as good a starting point as any based upon the facts at hand.

Prove me wrong. Based on the facts at this point....what is a realistic outcome?

well since he has played 7 seasons and 'imploded' in 1 of them, that being last year where he was playing out of position and for a jackass coach who was going out of his way to embarrass him, and now plays for the best organization in the NFL, I would say you would put his odds at failure (ie imploding because of attitude, not injury) at 1 in 7 at worst and probably a lot lower given his new surroundings.

But if you want to give me 50-50 odds on AH failing because of attitude/effort, I'll go get that second mortgage and match any bet you care to make.

But if you want to give me 50-50 odds on AH failing because of attitude/effort, I'll go get that second mortgage and match any bet you care to make.

You got a bet!

the pats now have two Dline men that demand a double team so the pass rush should be a little better, the biggest issues is coverage thats why they will be playing a lot of nickle and dime this year
I agree.

That's why we need a coverage OLB in the mold of a McGinest/Vrabel who can come in an cover receivers and rush the passer.

The best candidate for the Patriots to legitimately get is San Fran's Manny Lawson.

He's tall but holds up surprisingly well against the run not being very heavy at 240.

And, although his sack totals the past few years haven't been impressive, he efficiency is, as this article relates: Patriots Free Agent Spotlight: Manny Lawson

It says he played a lot of first and second downs, then was taken out. We can utilize this guy better than he was used in 49er land.

Just outside our universe there is a huge chocolate donut.

Prove me wrong.

Patriots take nasty turn - BostonHerald.com

Vince Wilfork, Albert Haynesworth, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Jerod Mayo, et al. They’ve turned into a version of the nasty boys, and it’s probably not by accident.

The addition of Haynesworth in particular should put opposing teams on notice. The Patriots now have an edge. The defensive unit comes across as meaner. Tougher. With a guy like Haynesworth, look out in the trenches. Watch out if he breaks free.

Who else openly states the desire to “kill the quarterback” as Haynesworth did during his introductory session with the media on Tuesday? Talk about an intimidator.

Remember the playoff game against Baltimore two years ago? Remember how Ravens running back Ray Rice ran over, around and through the Pats defense? The Ravens offensive line dominated the line of scrimmage in the 33-14 rout.

Or how about two of the three Jets games last season? The offensive line of Gang Green also had the upper hand, winning those trench wars. And those are just some examples where the defense has gotten beaten up. And we’re not even talking about the inability to generate a pass rush.

If Haynesworth performs the way Bill Belichick is hoping, the way he did when he was a Titan, or at least a reasonable facsimile, the defensive line won’t be getting pushed around or manhandled by anyone. It’ll be the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down