Welcome to PatsFans.com

Our Allies the Saudi's to rape victim 6 mos in jail + 200 lashes..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 21, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

Our so called ally, the one we trade technical weapons for oil with, has sentenced a shia woman to 6 months in jail and 200 lashes for getting raped.. it was 90 lashes but as she talked to the press it was doubled.. read somewhere else the US sent a watered down statement protesting this.. but these are our friends..

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-11-20-saudi-rape_N.htm

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — The Saudi judiciary on Tuesday defended a court verdict that sentenced a 19-year-old victim of a gang rape to six months in jail and 200 lashes because she was with an unrelated male when they were attacked.
    The Shiite Muslim woman had initially been sentenced to 90 lashes after being convicted of violating Saudi Arabia's rigid Islamic law requiring segregation of the sexes.

But in considering her appeal of the verdict, the Saudi General Court increased the punishment. It also roughly doubled prison sentences for the seven men convicted of raping the woman, Saudi news media said last week.

The reports triggered an international outcry over the Saudis punishing the victim of a terrible crime.

But the Ministry of Justice stood by the verdict Tuesday, saying that "charges were proven" against the woman for having been in a car with a man who was not her relative.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

They're America's allies "NOT MINE" to me they are nothing but more Stone Age Savage Muslims (with money)

I think I posted something about this last week but it didn't get much response they were all to busy whining about "waterboarding" and pulling their hair out because Romney is a Mormon.

They're not all bad:
    I wonder how many "good ones" around the world complained about this "lashing" and a few weeks before this those Iranian Muslims STONED a women to death and we hear nothing from the Human Rights A$s Holes or the "Save The Whale" ding dongs.

When a Muslim does it look the other way.

Good Muslims please speak up so we will know you are there, don't be afraid Al Gore & Hollywood will protect you.
    :bricks:
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

I'm sure you show your anger everytime you fill up your car with gas.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Saudi Arabia is probably the biggest enemy to reform in the Middle East. It uses it's money to influence events and keep bad people in power, and uses it's oil to make people like Bush and Cheney drool with envy. We have protected the Saudis too long, and that fact is probably a stronger motivation for Al Qaeda than our support for Israel.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

That's why post 9/11, geopolitical change in the ME was the long term strategy undertaken by the Bush & Blair. You can't invade the SA's, Pakistan's, Syria's, Iran's, Yemen's, etc. of the world, so you therefore do it through a very unpopular Hussein controlled Iraq.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

But it failed miserably. Iraq is no longer a nation, but instead a sort of wild west with various regional leaders who can be manipulated one by one by our enemies the world over.
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

If I could find gas that some redneck hill billy was pumping out of his backyard I would be his customer for life, until then I have live with the fact that I am hellping to support a Race of people and a Religion that stills Lashes, Stones and Beheads Human Beings.

GET THE OIL NO MATTER WHERE IT IS, F-CK THE POLAR BEARS, BUILD THE REFINERIES, BUILD A REFINERY IN AUNTIE PELOSIS VINEYARD.

GET THE OIL NOW.
    :bricks:
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Exactly what geopolitical change has occurred? (Other than the regime of Iraq, which is worse now than it ever was since the reign of Darius.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

How has it failed since it's currently ongoing? I know, you hope it fails. Regardless of whether we should have tried it, as I'm in the no thanks department, once it's been undertaken you should hope it succeeds.
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

There is no central government to speak of. To stabilize the situation, we've worked with and empowered various local warlords.

I agree with you. I hope it succeeds, but I don't think it will. In the best case, there will be another Saddam who forcibly unites the country, and in the worse case, the country will be a constant state of war, with innocent dying all the time or the country's Shiite majority will turn it into a vassal state of Iran.

The reduction in violence is good news, but the problems that Iraq faces as a result of the war are extremely profound, and I don't think we'll know for at least 20 years how it will play out.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Well, for starters, they've had 3 free elections in Iraq. That type of geopolitical change. Again, and I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this, I wouldn't have attempted this myself. I didn't like the idea as the US as an invader. The fact of the matter is however, that they thought a prosperous and successful democracy in the heart of the ME would push the surrounding citizentry to demand the same. The reality is that we need oil. That as witnessed on 9/11, SP's are determined to use any means necessary to kill men, women, and children in as large a manner as is possible. The oil, and the SP's come from the same countries and places. So what do you do? It's not coincidence that Blair and Bush were talking freedom, poverty, and oppression immediately after 9/11. Remember they're saying "free people are peaceful people"? I'm not saying I would have done what they decided to do, but in their eyes it was the best long term manner with which to deal with the problem. Just look at what the threat of attacking Iran has done to oil prices. Imagine if you invaded SA. That doesn't even take into consideration the fact that Iraq had an unpopular ruler, with a secular, and highly educated population, whereas the majority of the ME does not. The point being, that regime change would be more widely accepted in Iraq versus say a Pakistan or SA. Well, how's that working out for us? Not all that good right?
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

There is a central government Patters, it's just not doing a sufficient job. Furthermore, these places aren't like downtown Cambridge. They're far different than anything you or I could possiblely understand. Warlords are in Afghanistan, Iraq is tribal. Warlords are drug pushers and murderers, tribes are a congregation of followers. What we've done there is work with tribes to protect their own neighborhoods with US support. It's worked extremely well to this point. Now, from what I've read, the challenge will be to mix different locals together in neighborhood checkpoints. It's worked well in the IA, and now they're going to try it at the local level.

So it'll take 20 years to play out but you've already deemed it a failure. Sure, you want success there.
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You must be boycotting all oil products because of your outrage... either that or you're a complete hypocrite... which is it..?
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

There is no central government, just some entity that some people pretend has some kind of authority.

Yeah, I think it's going fail in terms of achieving our interests.

We are not liked in that region, we do not have a lot of leverage, we do not share many of the cultural beliefs, we do not have local access that Iranians and Saudis do (thanks to language and culture), do not have control over the propaganda machinery, and we've killed 10s of 1000s of civilians, caused millions to flee, and ruined the Iraqi economy.

It might surprise you, but in that part of the world, when you kill someone's son or daughter, the family gets angry and is not quick to forgive. You might be the kind that if, say, Australia invaded us to rescue us from Hillary, you'd forgive them if they accidentally killed your parents, destroyed your home, and left you destitute, but not all people are like that.

It seems obvious to me that there will be problems in Iraq for a long time to come, and we will be seen for what we really are: the bad guys who, through lies and misinformation, destroyed a nation.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

He probably doesn't buy anything made in China either.
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Liberals didn't want to offend Arabs after 9/11 by flying to many American Flags, then they turn around and call them "Bush Friends" isn't that a form of Offense :confused:
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

If we need oil that someone else has, we should trade for or buy it at whatever price they set, right? Isn't that the free market principle? Otherwise, how could our forceful procurement of natural resources from another country be any different than what the Japanese did in Asia in the 30's and 40's?

Right after Bush and Blair said "free people are peaceful people", what did they do? Free people are just as likely to be violent as any other if their government and military wish it so and have the political means to do it. Even if they thought a prosperous and successful democracy in the heart of the ME would push the surrounding citizentry to demand the same, that doesn't justify doing it. Besides, it hasn't worked that way, has it?

In the end, we've accomplished nothing after spending a trillion gazillion dollars and wasted nearly 4,000 American lives and tens of thousands of Iraqis. Don't forget the injured and psychologically damaged. And nothing has changed in the Middle East that really matters.
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

I guess I am a hypocrite, is this OK with you?? I guess I am a complete Hypocrite also..
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

There is a central government, whether you like it or not. It's not pulling it's weight, but it does exist.

Like I said, you, and most others from your congregation, have already deemed it a failure. Harry Reid already declared that we lost a long time ago.

Wow, really? No way? OMFG! [​IMG] They don't like us there, and they hold a grudge. To think I wasted $70k on cawlidge. :rolleyes:
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Wistah, you'll get no argument from me here. Were the decision left to me I'd have never invaded. I'm merely pointing out why they decided to do what they did. I think there is plausibility to their position, but again, I wouldn't have done it.