PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our 3 no.1 picks in the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly any mention of OL. Neal is 33 or 34 and has a history of injury. Volmer is likely our next starting OT, but we will need a second soon and I wouldn't be suprised if the Raider pick is used to get a "franchise" OT (assuming that the Raiders pick is top 10).

DL is another strong possibility for the early picks, Wright isn't getting any younger and BB has said in the past that he puts a premium on DL because there are so few good athletes that meet the size requirements of the DL.

BB has been willing to make do with "lesser" talent at the WR slot so I am not sure if WR is high on his priority list.

Obviously only BB and his staff know what the team really needs. So all I really know is it's going to be fun watching the Pats reload with talent, while teams like the Jets whither because of a lack of depth because they have traded away all of their picks.

This is getting to be like one of those urban legends that never die.

Need is a clear factor in the Patriots' drafting. How big a factor depends on makeup of the specific team and its current levels of need. In the rare cases that there's been a hole in the starting lineup the Patriots have moved aggressively to fill it, drafting a player well above where he was projected: Mankins, Gostkowski, Mayo.

Ditto. Pats never drafting for need is patently false and a wild oversimplification, imo.

Hardly any mention of OL. Neal is 33 or 34 and has a history of injury. Volmer is likely our next starting OT, but we will need a second soon and I wouldn't be suprised if the Raider pick is used to get a "franchise" OT (assuming that the Raiders pick is top 10).

DL is another strong possibility for the early picks, Wright isn't getting any younger and BB has said in the past that he puts a premium on DL because there are so few good athletes that meet the size requirements of the DL.

BB has been willing to make do with "lesser" talent at the WR slot so I am not sure if WR is high on his priority list.

Obviously only BB and his staff know what the team really needs. So all I really know is it's going to be fun watching the Pats reload with talent, while teams like the Jets whither because of a lack of depth because they have traded away all of their picks.

kaczur was extended and it would not be a stretch to move him inside to replace neal and put vollmer at RT

that said, a team will never be out of contention as long as it uses day 1 picks on DL,LB,OL.....this game is still won in the trenches, but the 3-4 needs effective LB's

I I think next years draft will be the richest one for some time with a lot of younger players leaving college early to try and get a better deal than what might be available in 2011.

I don't understand this at all.

For every elite prospect who comes out in 2010 instead of 2011, theres another one that gets pushed down and makes less money. You're gonna make a whole lot more money being drafted #5 overall in 2011 than being drafted #10 overall in 2010.

Remember, theres a salary cap and a salary floor, and for a good portion of NFL teams, that second number is more important.

I don't understand this at all.

For every elite prospect who comes out in 2010 instead of 2011, theres another one that gets pushed down and makes less money. You're gonna make a whole lot more money being drafted #5 overall in 2011 than being drafted #10 overall in 2010.

The key is the expiring CBA. There is rampant speculation that the 2011 draft and beyond will feature a rookie pay scale, dramatically lowering first-round contracts.

The key is the expiring CBA. There is rampant speculation that the 2011 draft and beyond will feature a rookie pay scale, dramatically lowering first-round contracts.

The expiring CBA will cause just as many teams to LOWER their first round money as those to raise it.

Theres a good chance the Bills draft in the top 10 next year. Do you really think they give out a 20M or so total deal if theres no salary floor? They were scrambling to get to the floor this year.

Pretty much everyone outside of the top 15 will get a raise under a new rookie pay scale. If theres lots of elite talent coming out, most of it is going to be pushed down far enough that it would be better off to wait.

The expiring CBA will cause just as many teams to LOWER their first round money as those to raise it.

Theres a good chance the Bills draft in the top 10 next year. Do you really think they give out a 20M or so total deal if theres no salary floor? They were scrambling to get to the floor this year.

OK, this is a different kind of speculation I haven't seen much before. Are you suggesting that a lot of teams in 2010 will rebel against the informal slot system and drastically lowball high draft picks? Interesting.

You guys keep forgetting that BB never drafts to need. He always takes the best talent out there that fits the Patriots system and code of conduct.

With that being said, I don't even think he knows what he wants, probably a number of players on his radar, but nothing more.

Jerod Mayo and Patrick Chung say "hello". I hope that he uses the first couple of picks to draft some O-Line in this draft. They come cheaper (for the most part anyway) than the skill players do. Skill players can wait until 2011 to see just what happens with the rookie contracts.

Tate, Nunn, and Edelman all look like solid underlings. Will be interesting to see how/if they come along.

I have a feeling that WR is a position Bill would rather get in trades. This year is as good an indication as any of that.

I think Watson will get extended and shouldn't be too pricey. With his role flexing more and more, he also makes a good option at receiving.

I think as far as QB's, you'll see a low draft pick every year go for a QB until someone sticks. For all we know, Hoyer could be the next Matt Cassel (as in being able to step up).

:confused:

Wright's only 27.

Last edited:
Well, technically, my 4 year-old isn't getting any younger either. Maybe he was just being captain obvious... ;)

Well, technically, my 4 year-old isn't getting any younger either. Maybe he was just being captain obvious... ;)

Yeah well my coffee isn't getting any younger either. :cool:

I'd like to see a dominating pass rusher added. I'd also like to see added one of those 5 foot nothing, scat backs, who get lost behind OL and who is a big play waiting to happen and who can take a handoff and accelerate like they are shot out of a cannon in the (likely) event our OL is only able to open up a small crease. Someone along the lines of say a B Westbrook, D Sproles, L Washington or D Williams.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a dominating pass rusher added. I'd also like to see added one of those 5 foot nothing, scat backs, who get lost behind OL and who is a big play waiting to happen and who can take a handoff and accelerate like they are shot out of a cannon in the (likely) event our OL is only able to open up a small crease. Someone along the lines of say a B Westbrook, D Sproles, L Washington or D Williams.

That would be pretty sweet. Those guys can be deadly in the receiving game too.

Darren Sproles would be deadly in this offense. I was hoping the Pats would actively pursue him with a contract offer before last season ended for the Chargers but San Diego held onto him. Smart move. Now that he's still with him, I gotta say that I would like to see him get blown up with a huge (legal) hit. That would just make my day. :cool:

BB probabyl has a computer program with all possible contingencies worked out as to who will be avilable (both in the draft and free agency), what they will cost, what slot his picks will be in and who he will draft in each given pick (across the full contingency of which players will be available).

Bank on it!

In BBWT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back