PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Other Week 3 NFL games

When it was first score wins, people *****ed. Now, even though you need the TD to win, and a FG gives the opponent an opportunity to tie or win, you're *****ing.

I have no problem with the rule now as is. The problem with the FG-wins-right-away rule is the coin toss determines who gets the ball first... and a team only had to drive 45 yards or so to get a makeable shot at a FG and if you have a kicker like Janikowski even fewer yards than that. Now an offense has to go the length of the field and if they can do that they earned the win. If the defense or special teams can't stop them from doing that then too bad they deserve to lose. Football is a team game it's not a game where we need to accomodate a QB so he can get his stats.

Don't like it - then play better in regulation and don't go to OT.

Patriots have tough schedule this year. I have no idea how the bills will do but I can see the pats finishing 7-9 or 8-8. It remains to be seen if the Phins, Jets or Bill can finish say 9-7.

At some point the pats have to lose the divisions and it seems to me they are pretty vulnerable this year.
7-9 or 8-8 would mean something went very wrong with the season like a catastrophic injury to Brady.

Anything could happen but there's no objective reason at this point to think they're not the best team in the AFC East.

Manning is great and so is Brady. Give Brady even the slightest amount of time and he will turn back into the QB we all know and love. People just want to complain. People are blaming Brady for the low snap at the end of the 1st half. That was a terrible snap that Brady did everything to keep time on the clock for.

I have no problem with the rule now as is. The problem with the FG-wins-right-away rule is the coin toss determines who gets the ball first... and a team only had to drive 45 yards or so to get a makeable shot at a FG and if you have a kicker like Janikowski even fewer yards than that. Now an offense has to go the length of the field and if they can do that they earned the win. If the defense or special teams can't stop them from doing that then too bad they deserve to lose. Football is a team game it's not a game where we need to accomodate a QB so he can get his stats.

Don't like it - then play better in regulation and don't go to OT.

The FG wins is the best of a group of bad options for OT. Teams shouldn't be playing OT during the regular season in the first place.

When it was first score wins, people *****ed. Now, even though you need the TD to win, and a FG gives the opponent an opportunity to tie or win, you're *****ing. Here's a newsflash. The only way to make overtime "fair", and not gimmicky, is to not have overtime.

Actually you can just give each team a possession to make it "fair". Mandatory 2 point conversion after TD. If both teams gets a TD and converts the extra point play, repeat(each team gets one possession) until the game is over. No time limit in overtime. If teams or the NFL feel that may make the game too long then start the offense on their own 40 yard line.(No kickoffs)

Actually you can just give each team a possession to make it "fair". Mandatory 2 point conversion after TD. If both teams gets a TD and converts the extra point play, repeat(each team gets one possession) until the game is over. No time limit in overtime.

Giving each team possession doesn't make it fair. It makes it longer.

Big difference.

I just edited my post when you quoted it.

If teams or the NFL feel that may make the game too long then start the offense on their own 40 yard line.(No kickoffs)

It's pretty awesome. College OT is great!(Even though they start on the opponents 25 yard line)

Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:
It's pretty awesome. College OT is great!(Even though they start on the opponents 40 yard line)

college OT starts on opponents 25 yard line.

It's pretty awesome. College OT is great!(Even though they start on the opponents 40 yard line)

College OT is so horrible that it's the reason I stopped watching college football.

I find it funny that people think the overtime rules are unfair or that the Seahawks were lucky that Denver didn't get a chance to get the ball. How is it lucky to let the Seahawks march 80 yards up the field for a touchdown? If your defense doesn't come to play and at least hold out for a field goal then your SOL. Last time I checked there are two sides to every team.

serious? I think it makes for exciting football.

It's not football, any more than penalty kicks is soccer or penalty shots is hockey. Those are all terrible ways to decide games.

It's not football, any more than penalty kicks is soccer or penalty shots is hockey. Those are all terrible ways to decide games.

I think an endless amount of OT's as long as teams match scores is fun as hell. The fact you have to go for 2 on touchdowns after the 3rd OT makes it even better. That is heart pounding football. College OT is some of the most fun stuff to witness in person. An amazing thrill.

I think an endless amount of OT's as long as teams match scores is fun as hell. The fact you have to go for 2 on touchdowns after the 3rd OT makes it even better. That is heart pounding football.

We're never going to agree. I don't play 25 yards football. I don't watch 25 yards football. I think 25 yards football sucks ass through a straw.

Lol my bad, I got confused with where they kick. Already in field goal range.
While they are already in fg range, the rules almost penalize going or a FG, because you will lose if the other team scores a TD. It makes for such exciting plays and decisions to either go for it or let your defense win. Being in person for a double, triple or more overtime is insane. Best form of OT in the world imo.

I like the current OT much better than the old one. Seattle did march 80 yards and scored a TD. Didn't BB decide to KO in an OT game last year because the wind was so bad? It at least makes you think and play football all the way to the end. If you have a good D, you could kickoff and hope to hold them for field position.

The only other way to play it is a 15 quarter and then sudden death, but that might lead to a long, long, game! I could see that being the rule for the playoffs only, like in hockey.

I like the current OT much better than the old one. Seattle did march 80 yards and scored a TD. Didn't BB decide to KO in an OT game last year because the wind was so bad? It at least makes you think and play football all the way to the end. If you have a good D, you could kickoff and hope to hold them for field position.

The only other way to play it is a 15 quarter and then sudden death, but that might lead to a long, long, game! I could see that being the rule for the playoffs only, like in hockey.

Yes, in the Broncos game. If you can't stop a team in 80 yards, you don't deserve to win.

NFL OT is better than what is used to be, but i still love college ot more.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back