PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OTAs 5/26/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm straight up salivating for TC right now. You guys have no idea how bad I'm itching for that sh*t. I can't f-ing wait! Please stay away, Mr. Injury bug. PLEASE!

T-minus less than 60 days.....Mission: FU 31

I do wonder what they do cap wise for Jimmy G if they want to keep him after year 4. Do they trade Brady at that point hedging their bets he doesn't have much time left even if he still looks the same or do they just sign both of them to fairly big deals and ride it out. If Brady is willing to go on a pay as you go deal it makes it possible to keep both.

I can at least appreciate the idea of trading Brady (or considering it) should JG look good in real game settings, but I just can't fathom a scenario where Tom Brady doesn't retire as a New England Patriot.

Historically speaking, Belichick has not been afraid to trade a star player for any number of reasons, but in this case I think they make an exception. If they wish to keep JG, they'll have to pay the both of them for a year or two. Luckily for us, Brady's salary demands, or lack thereof, help to facilitate that.

Uhh, where was Gronk? What am I missing?

Uhh, where was Gronk? What am I missing?

To be honest with you, I'm good with Gronk hanging and banging until week #1.

It's possible that he's still pushing through some type of issue from last season, health-wise. Nothing that would keep him from missing an actual game, but enough to justify sitting him out for spring practice sessions. I couldn't imagine any other reason. He wouldn't get preferential treatment in terms of being "allowed" to skip, and I highly doubt it's contract related, or anything like that.

Yeah--screw you, Aqib Talib, Antonio Cromarite, Brandon Meriweather, and anyone else who's worn that God awful #31. ;)

I was on the Meriweather bandwagon for a hot second. Talib had also had moments of brilliance. Too bad all three 31s are total punks, because the talent is there, if they could keep their heads on straight. Funny post though. :D

I was on the Meriweather bandwagon for a hot second. Talib had also had moments of brilliance. Too bad all three 31s are total punks, because the talent is there, if they could keep their heads on straight. Funny post though. :D
Forget 31 Jersey 17 needs to be burned in a ritual fire with a old and young priest then bathed in holy water only then should it ever be worn by another Patriot receiver.
If im Dobson best career move he could ever make is request a new number any number other than the one we shouldnt speak of.

I can at least appreciate the idea of trading Brady (or considering it) should JG look good in real game settings, but I just can't fathom a scenario where Tom Brady doesn't retire as a New England Patriot.

Historically speaking, Belichick has not been afraid to trade a star player for any number of reasons, but in this case I think they make an exception. If they wish to keep JG, they'll have to pay the both of them for a year or two. Luckily for us, Brady's salary demands, or lack thereof, help to facilitate that.

They can trade/release Brady after the 2017 season with little cap pain.

They can trade/release Brady after the 2017 season with little cap pain.

If the time came that BB did the unthinkable and considered trading Brady, I would hope there are some teams he would never consider trading him to.

For example, I wouldn't want Brady going to the Rats, even for all of their #1 picks to infinity. Brady would probably retire anyway rather then get the fetid Jersey stench on him.

Other undeserving owners/fans would be Dallas, Baltimore, and Indy for starters, but I am sure there are others, depending on their Deflategate position.

First day of OTAs? YAWN. I'll start taking an interest in the pre-season just before the 3rd pre-season game.

Much as I dislike the people who run the NFL I'm still such a big Patriot fan that I welcome real football news. Last year Dion Lewis stood out and when the season arrived he turned into a key player, that could very well happen again but what I'm hoping for most is for depth players to shine.

QB-Garrapolo gives them the best depth in football imo.

RB-Foster is the guy to watch but I'll still be hoping for a quality summer acquisition.

TE-Bennett is of to a good start, Harbor and Williams battle for third spot. Excellent depth.

WR-We know what Edelman and Amendola bring it's the battle among Hogan, Washington, Dobson, and Mitchell that will be fascinating.

OL- Only two starters are locks, Solder and Vollmer, the entire interior OL is up for Grabs. Stork and Andrews at C, Cooper and Mason at LG, and Jackson and Thuney at RG, all will be good camp battles.

The defense is much more situational than the offense imo but I'm still most interested in the depth and rookies for the most part.

DL-Malcolm Brown taking the next step is really important and Long's resurgence will be key, after that the development of Flowers and Grissom will be something to watch.

LB- McClellin gets another chance so we will see how they use him. Rufus Johnson, Grugier-Hill and Roberts should be fun to watch.

S-Richards is the one I'm most interested in, I want NB to see if they are grooming him for Chung's role or if they keep him deeper.

CB-It's all about the young guys, Roberts, Coleman, and Jones, but we should also keep an eye on Jonathan Jones, who can fly.

If the Young players take the next step this team is going to be great and some concerns over the future allayed. I'm looking forward to camp and just football news but I'm not going to wish away the short period of beautiful weather we get here. Should be an interesting and fruitful year.

OTA's are for teaching and not evaluation ... Belichick has alluded to this in the past.

Ryan Mallet was an OTA superstar ... they don't mean much unless you are failing to learn.

The number 31 should be taken out of circulation for the Patriots.

Has Tyler Gaffney looked good at all?

OTA's are for teaching and not evaluation ... Belichick has alluded to this in the past.

Ryan Mallet was an OTA superstar ... they don't mean much unless you are failing to learn.

I think as fans there is a realization that this is nothing more than pitch and catch without pads. But I also think someone like Martellus Bennett who doesn't necessarily need the teaching should be paid attentiom to, because he is a veteran. Sometimes time spent doing one thing for a while makes you lackadaisical and/or not work as hard since you've earned your keep. For him to blast out of the gates in such a way should open eyes, even if this won't matter much in 2 months, and even if he waves it away as what it actually is (Kool-aid's working already).

I do wonder what they do cap wise for Jimmy G if they want to keep him after year 4. Do they trade Brady at that point hedging their bets he doesn't have much time left even if he still looks the same or do they just sign both of them to fairly big deals and ride it out. If Brady is willing to go on a pay as you go deal it makes it possible to keep both.

Considering Miguels simulation of 2017 cap - they can keep both even if they give JG highest back up or lower starting money. The bigger problem in my view is how much longer JG can wait. But the smooth transition from one to the other is not impossible (two years would be the last realistic timeline).

One thing that is almost a fact to me is that Brady will not be traded. Its not even a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back