PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: WR Javon Walker willing to sign for the NFL minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's healthy, and hungry he's an upgrade over Patten who hasn't taken a snap in over a year.

Lets see an overhyped player to begin with, Serious injury concerns, a Mental Gidget, never played in our system vs someone who played over his head, injury/age concerns would be less, a stand up guy and potential locker room leader, knows our system and our QB.

I will take Patten over Walker any day of the week and twice on sunday (and Football is played on Sundays)

Now lets think about this. We have talented WR Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, and Patten but we have health concerns with at least 2 of the 5 and another 2 of the 5 we have age concerns about. So to back these concerns up we will bring in a guy who isnt young and has health concerns far worse than all even the rehabing Welker. So in the end this is not something you could count on and IMO would still leave us one WR short of Ideal. To me the Ideal would be to have Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, and one other guy (Vet or Rookie) that we see as the main group of 5 WR and than have Patten as the wildcard back up for Welker and Tate should one not be ready. Walker would fall as a Vet min flier somewhere after this plan as a hopeful but unlikely option.

Now with all that said we are talking about a vet min flier so it cant be a bad move as the reward would far out weigh the risk. The only real risks I see are a roster spot which he may or may not be worth and he may wind up IRed and Kraft would have to pay vs a WR who cuold although very doubtful return to form.

I continue to be amazed at how low peoples opinion of our WR group is.

Last edited:
If Bill wants to sign an old vet at WR, then I suggest he first try:
Terrell Owens
Tory Holt
Josh Reed
Laveranues Coles

Javon Walker? IDK; he's as nuts as TO, but without TO's production. He should be Plan E, F or G.

And if Bill does indeed sign a vet who's already avail., then he should sign him sooner rather than later. This damn playbook is complicated enough to learn with an almost full off-season; without one, it's nearly impossible.

Hasn't he been trying to re-establish/prove himself for the last four seasons or so? Eh, nevertheless WR is a position of need and he's experienced and is willing to sign for a low dollar amount. I don't see why not.

Ah come on! Sign the beast. ;)

This may be crazy but I think Walker would be better and more successful than T.O. here....and for 4 million+ less at that

I say sign him for the minimum salary. If he doesn't work out the cut him. Nothing to lose really.

If Bill wants to sign an old vet at WR, then I suggest he first try:
Terrell Owens
Tory Holt
Josh Reed
Laveranues Coles

Javon Walker? IDK; he's as nuts as TO, but without TO's production. He should be Plan E, F or G.

And if Bill does indeed sign a vet who's already avail., then he should sign him sooner rather than later. This damn playbook is complicated enough to learn with an almost full off-season; without one, it's nearly impossible.

The difference between Walker and guys like Holt, Reed and Coles? From 3-5" in height.

Reed and Coles are both better suited as slot WRs. Holt could work the outside in his day, but not so much since he's lost a step. We've got the best slot guy in the league coming back at some point next season, and we've got Edelman there in the mean time. (Edelman might have enough size and speed to move outside, but that'll be a tougher transition from QB.)

What the Pats' offense needed last season, and still does, is a true flanker to line up opposite Moss, keeping defenses honest outside the hashmarks on both sides of the field.

Walker will likely never have the speed or burst he used to, but if he can adjust his game and become a Muhsin-Muhammad-type possession receiver, he could give the Pats' offense something the other guys you mentioned can't.

(Also, I don't think any of those guys are interested in playing for veteran minimum.)

the last thing the pats need is guy like this taking snaps from a young player the pats need to develop for the future......WR's down the depth chart need to contribute to special teams

so no........count me out

I say sign him for the minimum salary. If he doesn't work out the cut him. Nothing to lose really.

Exactly It would be a better signing than Joey Galloway too bad about his injuries he was pretty good with the Packers

Exactly It would be a better signing than Joey Galloway too bad about his injuries he was pretty good with the Packers

How do we know it will be a better signing than Galloway? In 2007, Galloway had 57 catches for over 1000 yards. Obviously, the team missed on him as he didn't have the quickness on the routes or the background and comfort in the offense to be successful.

Walker hasn't had a year like that since 2006 and a multitude of surgeries since then.

IMO Walker is at the point where a team runs him in for a tryout and if he shows enough, he gets non-guaranteed deal. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
Lets see an overhyped player to begin with, Serious injury concerns, a Mental Gidget, never played in our system vs someone who played over his head, injury/age concerns would be less, a stand up guy and potential locker room leader, knows our system and our QB.

I will take Patten over Walker any day of the week and twice on sunday (and Football is played on Sundays)

Now lets think about this. We have talented WR Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, and Patten but we have health concerns with at least 2 of the 5 and another 2 of the 5 we have age concerns about. So to back these concerns up we will bring in a guy who isnt young and has health concerns far worse than all even the rehabing Welker. So in the end this is not something you could count on and IMO would still leave us one WR short of Ideal. To me the Ideal would be to have Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, and one other guy (Vet or Rookie) that we see as the main group of 5 WR and than have Patten as the wildcard back up for Welker and Tate should one not be ready. Walker would fall as a Vet min flier somewhere after this plan as a hopeful but unlikely option.

Now with all that said we are talking about a vet min flier so it cant be a bad move as the reward would far out weigh the risk. The only real risks I see are a roster spot which he may or may not be worth and he may wind up IRed and Kraft would have to pay vs a WR who cuold although very doubtful return to form.

I continue to be amazed at how low peoples opinion of our WR group is.

i disagree with u here, i see the WR corps as our weakest point

if that is fixed, NO defense in the NFL will be able to stop us, much like 07....at which point our defense will suffice being just average...

and WR is really the ONLY concern on the offensive side of the ball, where ares the defensive side requires starting LB's, and a DE....and our safeties need to finally show consistency....which leaves us with a good number of holes

why not bring the offense back to its 07 form? have randy moss, edelman, and 2 other ABOVE AVERAGE GUYS, (im not counting wes cuz i dont know when he comes back)

if we have 2 proven quality guys plus moss and edelman when the season starts we will be very well off

How do we know it will be a better signing than Galloway? In 2007, Galloway had 57 catches for over 1000 yards. Obviously, the team missed on him as he didn't have the quickness on the routes or the background and comfort in the offense to be successful.

Walker hasn't had a year like that since 2006 and a multitude of surgeries since then.

IMO Walker is at the point where a team runs him in for a tryout and if he shows enough, he gets non-guaranteed deal. Plain and simple.

I say sign him for the minimum salary. If he doesn't work out the cut him. Nothing to lose really.That is the disscussion

if that is fixed, NO defense in the NFL will be able to stop us, much like 07....at which point our defense will suffice being just average...

and WR is really the ONLY concern on the offensive side of the ball, where ares the defensive side requires starting LB's, and a DE....and our safeties need to finally show consistency....which leaves us with a good number of holes

why not bring the offense back to its 07 form? have randy moss, edelman, and 2 other ABOVE AVERAGE GUYS, (im not counting wes cuz i dont know when he comes back)

if we have 2 proven quality guys plus moss and edelman when the season starts we will be very well off

I agree our wr corp could be in trouble if were relying on only moss and edelman in the 1st half of the season.

Can we sign the 2005 version?

The difference between Walker and guys like Holt, Reed and Coles? From 3-5" in height.

Reed and Coles are both better suited as slot WRs. Holt could work the outside in his day, but not so much since he's lost a step. We've got the best slot guy in the league coming back at some point next season, and we've got Edelman there in the mean time. (Edelman might have enough size and speed to move outside, but that'll be a tougher transition from QB.)

What the Pats' offense needed last season, and still does, is a true flanker to line up opposite Moss, keeping defenses honest outside the hashmarks on both sides of the field.

Walker will likely never have the speed or burst he used to, but if he can adjust his game and become a Muhsin-Muhammad-type possession receiver, he could give the Pats' offense something the other guys you mentioned can't.

(Also, I don't think any of those guys are interested in playing for veteran minimum.)

Fair enough. To jump-start the process, maybe Bill should call the agent of each of these guys and tell them that he has a vet minimum contract in his hand, and the first one to say Yes gets to sign it.

Holt, Reed & Coles may not be Flanker-tall, but they (& TO) are the best avail. WRs currently on the market. We need one more vet (no way David Patten makes the team) to complement Moss, Edelman, Tate(??) & a couple of rookies. Waiting for post-June 1st cuts will only increase the learning curve - sharply.

Moss and Edelman are your two proven guys not very many teams go 3-4-5 deep with proven guys. I have really high hopes for Edelman as he showed alot last year in his first year as a WR I only see things getting better for him. Moss is still one of the 10 or so best WR in the league.

Welker will be back at some point and while he may not be back to 100 catches (or 50 for half a season) he should be able to contribute at some point as a more than adequate 3rd option behind Moss and Edelman (though he likely steps back into his role as first or 2nd option).

Then you have Tate. and this is one that kind of annoys me. We draft the guy in the 3rd rd last year and everyone says we are getting first RD talent in the Third but we have to wait a year to get it. The year goes by and than all the sudden he isnt even worth mentioning as part of the position.

Sure if you want to look at it negatively Our best WR is over the hill, Our next best is going to be IRed, our 3rd option doesn't know how to play WR despite succeeding at it last year he is still just a QB, our forth option was drafted to never see the field, our fith option was brought back just to put another ring in the locker room because we lost so many thru the years.

or Positive One of the best WR in the game, our next best will puped and contribute in the second half, The third option has a very high ceiling due to his being in a position for his second season but has shown he can produce already, The fourth option could have been a first rd prospect and he is healthy, the Fifth option provides comfort to a QB by giving him a target he has succeeded with and who should help develope talent around him, and there are still options out there draft, FAa, TC cuts, ECT......

The truth is somewhere between the two

Last edited:
I say sign him for the minimum salary. If he doesn't work out the cut him. Nothing to lose really.That is the disscussion

You potentially lose Brady's time and effort focusing on a lost cause. I'd rather see him working with 2-3 draft picks. About the only veteran player I'd be interesting in adding at this juncture is Branch because he already knows the system and scheme and QB and had proven he can execute within those parameters. We were in hindsight beyond fortunate he talked Walker out of getting on that plane here on draft day in 2006... Otherwise we'd be out the same boatload of money Al is on this turd and we probably wouldn't have been in position financially to make the trades for Moss and Welker in 2007.

You potentially lose Brady's time and effort focusing on a lost cause. I'd rather see him working with 2-3 draft picks. About the only veteran player I'd be interesting in adding at this juncture is Branch because he already knows the system and scheme and QB and had proven he can execute within those parameters. We were in hindsight beyond fortunate he talked Walker out of getting on that plane here on draft day in 2006... Otherwise we'd be out the same boatload of money Al is on this turd and we probably wouldn't have been in position financially to make the trades for Moss and Welker in 2007.

Wasting Brady's time with a lost cause?
How about David Terrell, Donald Hayes, Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Joey Galloway, etc., etc.?
It's happened ALL the time.

I think it will be apparent pretty quickly which guys have a chance and which don't.
Vet min - sign and cut? Where's the real harm?

Please explain how Brady is gonna lose time on a vet and not on a rookie from college who knows nothing about the pro's also as far as Branch goes Im pretty sure he has had as many injuries as Walker also Seattle is not gonna release him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back