PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Wow only the Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - I suppose a football forum isn't the best place to preach peace. Please continue advocating punching and fighting. I will stand in the background with the other wimps and watch. Have fun.

Players fight in camp all the time without the Ommissoner stepping in. This should be handled in house.

Players are equal in status to each other. The coaches 1) are the faces of the franchise and 2) it was hitting a subordinate. That is clearly different than players striking each other. Football is a contact sport but that isn't what they meant.In any industry or business striking a coworker might and likely would give rise to disciplinary action. Striking an underling or a supervisor definitely will bring about discipline.
In some respects it gives the assistant who was hit job security, at least until the statute of limitations runs on that cause of action or a very nice settlement.

OK - I suppose a football forum isn't the best place to preach peace. Please continue advocating punching and fighting. I will stand in the background with the other wimps and watch. Have fun.
Oh.. you're one of "those". :p

Players fight in camp all the time without the Ommissoner stepping in. This should be handled in house.

Not the same at all. This is an issue of leadership. In order for Cable to function as the head coach, he needs the respect of his players. Now that he's done this, anytime a Raider player gets a Personal Foul called on him for fighting for instance, Cable has no credibility to tell the guy that he was stupid. If he does, all the player has to say is "what's the problem, you did it before didn't you?".

wonder how long before we start getting Wrecks Ryan stories like this? maybe not jaw breaking but clubhouse scuffles and calling people out and a divided club house...mmmm....can't wait

Nobody can get close enough to Tubby Wrecks to take a swing at him. He's got the biggest gut in the league.

If he did break his jaw, does anybody know if Hansen has his jaw wired shut?? That would give a little bit more credibility to the story.....

Not sure how the NFL works but for simple A&B won't get much in the way of $. However, if the evidence and eyewitness accounts are solid, has a pretty strong case to bring a lawsuit vs Cable & the Raiders and go for punitive damages (pain & suffering, public humiliation, etc.) I'm sure the Raiders would settle out of court before it ever got to that.

Not the same at all. This is an issue of leadership. In order for Cable to function as the head coach, he needs the respect of his players. Now that he's done this, anytime a Raider player gets a Personal Foul called on him for fighting for instance, Cable has no credibility to tell the guy that he was stupid. If he does, all the player has to say is "what's the problem, you did it before didn't you?".

The players are getting a laugh out of it...which is either their way of humiliating Cable or supporting him. Either way he doesn't have a leg to stand on when disciplining anyone, which means his days are numbered.

Last edited:
Burgess, and Walters must be very thankful right now :D

Doesn't this create quite a problem for the Commish? Rules require that any coach engaging in a fight be disciplined, but to hold the head coach responsible here would in effect be saying he was the one who did the hitting, giving the police a lead from which to develop a felony case. Doesn't the NFL usually wait for the authorities to make their determinations prior to making its own?

Doesn't this create quite a problem for the Commish? Rules require that any coach engaging in a fight be disciplined, but to hold the head coach responsible here would in effect be saying he was the one who did the hitting, giving the police a lead from which to develop a felony case. Doesn't the NFL usually wait for the authorities to make their determinations prior to making its own?

In this case, the police consider the matter closed, and will reopen if the victim re-engages them.

Last edited:
Wow, I mean, wow, what a shame. I never expected this from the classy Raiders :eek: As someone mentioned before, Burgess and Walter couldn't be happier to get out of there

Nobody can get close enough to Tubby Wrecks to take a swing at him. He's got the biggest gut in the league.

darn...i didn't think of that...a natural defense mechanism...he's one clever guy...no wonder he's the HC of the NYJ!

disagree. the coach is an authority figure with the players' ability to fight back potentially limited by intimidation and fear of retaliation, among other factors. when players fight it's a case of two equals where the exogenous cost to each side is the same, beyond whatever damage they suffer in the fight.

Hanson has 6 months to decide if he wants to press charges so I'm guessing he receives a paycheck of some sort for that length of time. Unless Crazy Al gets involved.

Hanson has 6 months to decide if he wants to press charges so I'm guessing he receives a paycheck of some sort for that length of time. Unless Crazy Al gets involved.

From what I read, this guy got into a pretty good argument with Kiffin, openly questioning his gameplan after a 41-14 loss. It appears as though Al Davis sided with him, and created a division in the locker room that ultimately led to the firing of Kiffin. I wonder if this guy has dirt on Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes