Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Wilhelm released by Chargers

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by miDeuce, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miDeuce

miDeuce Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

I think he'd be worth a look, better schematic fit than Paris Lennon (though not sure if he can help on STs), and has the size we've missed since Ted J. I mean, not out of the question he could take Bruschi's job as 2 down run stuffer (as much as I love Tedy)...

2. BradyManny

BradyManny Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -1

Re: Matt Wilhelm Released...

Any reason why he was released?

3. miDeuce

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Not sure, I know he lost the starter job last year. But haven't seen the details/analysis yet...

EDIT... PFT LINK

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,995 / 42 / -15

I'm not really sure he is a better schematic fit or not. Just because he played ILB in the Chargers' 3-4 doesn't mean he would do well in the Pats' 3-4. The Chargers run an one-gap 3-4 defense. Wilhelm probably hasn't had much experience trying to shed blocks from guards like he would with the Patriots. Not all 3-4s are the same.

He could be a good fit for the Pats. I don't know enough about him. But just because he played in the 3-4 doesn't mean he can play in the Pats' 3-4.

5. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,995 / 42 / -15

Here's Scout Inc's take on the guy:

They give him a grade of 61 which is the low end of the average starter.

Matt Wilhelm Stats, News, Photos - San Diego Chargers - ESPN

6. miDeuce

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Well just from a size standpoint he might be a better fit. He's 6' 4", 245... 2 inches and 10 pounds on Lenon. For that alone he would add something the Pats don't have in their ILB crop. Of course he might not have the skills that translate to the Pats 3-4 and he lost his starting job so clearly he's not an Adam Seward-type or anything.

7. BradyManny

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -1

Interesting, they do reference the ability to take on blockers. Do you happen to know what grade Scouts Inc gave Lenon for comparison?

8. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If the Chargers play 1-gap 3-4, shooting the gap, wouldn't that mean that there are MORE guards getting into the LB area? The 2-gap is where the DL holds their guy at the point of attack? I don't know, just wondering, but I do agree that all 3-4 players do not fit all 3-4 schemes.

Edit: To address someone's point about needing another Ted Johnson type, why? Even when he was here, BB replaced him early on with Roman Phifer, who was more mobile. Ted Johnson's been gone for 5-6 years now, and BB has never made an attempt to replace his type, even with a UFDA.

9. Warren94

Warren94 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't mind him one bit. If he can take on blockers get some tutoring from bruschi you never know.

10. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Agreed, let's bring him in. I thought he would be a good fit coming out of college. He's been somewhat of a whipping boy in SD.

11. BradyManny

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -1

Yes, but must I bring up what else hasn't happened in the last 5 years...:( I don't see why BB wouldn't want a run stuffing SILB if he could have one - Bruschi platoons w Guyton anyway, a more effective player at stopping the run in the base defense would be preferable - Bruschi is already a liability in coverage.

And besides, I think AD was that strong SILB, but circumstances has moved him to OLB repeatedly.

12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,851 / 192 / -145

Disable Jersey

Seau obviated the need. That need is now there again, so I expect they'll be looking.

13. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Well, wow. I never once connected the loss of Ted Johnson with not winning a superbowl since he left. I always assumed the reason we stopped winning superbowls was because Je'rod Cherry left the Patriots in 2004.

14. BradyManny

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -1

LOL. Well, all I'm saying is our best defenses had Ted Johnson in them, even if he was just platooning w Phifer.

15. Dragda

Dragda Yes, it's really me... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

I'm disappointed this thread hasn't degerated into "a do we have to have a thread everytime some shmoe is release.."

Maybe I should have read page 2 of the posts...

16. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +287 / 5 / -1

It helps that this guy isn't just a FA name and actually has some related experience at a position of need.

17. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +945 / 66 / -54

#50 Jersey

I don't see Wilhelm being brought in to play the Strong ILB position because that is the position that Mayo played the entirety of last year. If BB felt that Mayo was better at the WILB, that's where he'd have played with Bruschi at the SILB (a position that Bruschi played when Vrabel played the WILB).

18. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I believe you have that reversed Db, I recall Tedy at the "Mike" and Mayo at the "Jack" (if I have my terms right). Tedy in his more mobile days was on the weakside more often with T.J. plugging things up. Tedy took T.J.'s role on Junior's first year here, then the two of them switched off in 07 and Tedy moved back when Mayo moved in on the weakside.

I believe BB is moving away from a true "mike" and looking to play more of a twinned set of ILBs who have very strong coverage skills and are good at engaging OL, but not Ted Johnson thumpers. The 3-5 wide passing game and the use of receiving only TEs and speedy RBs out of the backfield has changed the dynamic and those ILBs need to be a little smaller and much better in coverage - hence Mayo and Guyton, McKenzie in the draft, and a partial reason Alexander has stuck for so long. I've speculated that Mayo may move to the SILB if Guyton moves ahead of Tedy on the depth chart. We'll have to wait and see how they use the kids this year.

The analysis above on Wilhelm shows how limited he was for San Diego's scheme, and for the ILB roles that appear to be developing here. He's an option as an injury replacement, hopefully one NE won't need.

19. Bartmac36

Bartmac36 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He's built like the kind of guy Bill likes at OLB, 6'4'' and nearly 250 pounds...I think we have good ILBs already, so if anything we should bring him in just to test out his outside speed/skills...

If he has any of the skills needed for OLB, I think that's where he would be needed in this scheme, but I don't think he could help there so I say pass on him...

20. farn

farn 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +125 / 3 / -4

Can someone please give us some kind of comparison to Adam Seward ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.