PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Why the Colts Scare Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next years schedule on paper right now looks much easier then last years. No Steelers or Chargers for one. And the NFC West.

Last year going into the season we had the third toughest schedule in the league and people were once again predicting our demise based on the schedule. Funny how by years end that changes in peoples minds. ;)

Once again you are assuming the Colts will NEED the breaks to win games next year. You are assuming this team can't get better.

Thats just the Pats homer in you talking. I am sure you have the Patriots in the Super Bowl again correct?

Oh Rob. I have to admit as long as you dont like the Colts chances it gives them a better chance LOL.

The Colts basically had a bye the last month and a half of the season last year. Even the Titans was an easy game since they faced the Titans' b-squad. The Colts have the potential to have a very tough schedule since they will definitely face the Titans for real in both games (their last meeting is December 6th). It could be significantly easier, that is why I said could be and not definitely, since SOS in August really doesn't mean much.

I never said the Colts need breaks to win this upcoming season. I said that if they do like they had this past season, they won't win.

I never said that the Colts couldn't get better. I just said that I haven't seen it yet. Yes, they have gotten bigger at DT, but bigger doesn't neccessarily mean better. The o-line is still a big issue which could get Manning injured again, adding the rookie to the running game may help but I will want to see it before I believe it. The Colts have the potential to be better or worse. They didn't do much to drastically improve or get worse in the offseason.

As for the Pats, they are a Super Bowl contender, but most of the media have the Pats at either 1 or 2 in the league in their power polls and preseason predictions. So me predicting it wouldn't really be very much of a homer stance since everyone is in agreement other than Patriots haters that the Pats are a top 3 team in this league at worse (at least until they actually play real games and prove otherwise). I didn't think they were a strong Super Bowl contender before the 2007 season since Moss and Welker were an unknown at that point and few other than the homers expected them to do as well as they were.

BTW, last year was the only other year besides this that I didn't pick the Colts to win their division. Otherwise, I have always made them a Super Bowl contender.

Thats fine. But you can't stop the run with those guys at DT. And we never had proper depth at DT..

If your offense can score 30 points a game, you don't need to be able to stop the run.

My problem with Tony Dungy was his love for the small fast defensive player.

Thats fine. But you can't stop the run with those guys at DT. And we never had proper depth at DT.

I see this year we bring back Ed Johnson (who Dungy kicked off) and draft and pick up several big bodies.

To me thats big. The Colts are showing they are making a strong effort to improve the run defenses which outside of one playoff run have gotten gashed. And lets be honest, in that SB run the Colts faced one dimensional offenses. So far this preseason the Colts run D looks improved.

My criticism of Dungy was mostly with his defense. His defense allowed teams to milk the clock and play keep away from Peyton Manning. I would rather give up the occasional big play and get our offense back on the field then see teams drain the clock every game. Which is exactly what happened.

When we played the Jaguars week 3 last year our defense was on the field for 40 minutes. Thats pathetic.

Dungy did help build a SB team in Tampa but he did not get them over the top. Even Warren Sapp said in the America's game video that he loved Dungy but he could not win the big one.

How have the Colts changed about the type of defense? By bringing back Ed Johnson who was cut not because Dungy didn't think he fit their defense, but because his off the field issues? Booger McFarland wasn't exactly what you would call small and fast at 300lbs. It wasn't like Dungy didn't try to bring in big DTs.

My thoughts were summed up by a Colts fan (rcubed) on that messageboard:

"Ok, I think Peyton is great and I am glad he is such a competitor. But the awe-shucks country boy image he usually projects along with the comedy from his commercials, I just don’t buy the intense stare down. Doesn’t work for me."

A few revisions:
- Peyton is good, not great
- that's aw-shucks, not awe-shucks
- replace "comedy" with dorkiness

How have the Colts changed about the type of defense? By bringing back Ed Johnson who was cut not because Dungy didn't think he fit their defense, but because his off the field issues? Booger McFarland wasn't exactly what you would call small and fast at 300lbs. It wasn't like Dungy didn't try to bring in big DTs.

You will see some new wrinkles during the course of this season. I am not sure you will right away until things gel, but eventually you will see some tweeks. Nothing major.

You will see a lot more blitzing, something Meeks never really did much of, if any.

Basically, things won't be as vanilla all the time. The Colts D players have all spoken about new things this TC and seem excited about it.

The thing about Dungy was that I was never a big fan of mixing religion in the locker room. Or anti gay issues. Or just issues overall I feel have their own time and place.

Last edited:
The Colts basically had a bye the last month and a half of the season last year. Even the Titans was an easy game since they faced the Titans' b-squad. The Colts have the potential to have a very tough schedule since they will definitely face the Titans for real in both games (their last meeting is December 6th). It could be significantly easier, that is why I said could be and not definitely, since SOS in August really doesn't mean much.

I never said the Colts need breaks to win this upcoming season. I said that if they do like they had this past season, they won't win.

I never said that the Colts couldn't get better. I just said that I haven't seen it yet. Yes, they have gotten bigger at DT, but bigger doesn't neccessarily mean better. The o-line is still a big issue which could get Manning injured again, adding the rookie to the running game may help but I will want to see it before I believe it. The Colts have the potential to be better or worse. They didn't do much to drastically improve or get worse in the offseason.

As for the Pats, they are a Super Bowl contender, but most of the media have the Pats at either 1 or 2 in the league in their power polls and preseason predictions. So me predicting it wouldn't really be very much of a homer stance since everyone is in agreement other than Patriots haters that the Pats are a top 3 team in this league at worse (at least until they actually play real games and prove otherwise). I didn't think they were a strong Super Bowl contender before the 2007 season since Moss and Welker were an unknown at that point and few other than the homers expected them to do as well as they were.

BTW, last year was the only other year besides this that I didn't pick the Colts to win their division. Otherwise, I have always made them a Super Bowl contender.

Most of the media is pretty dumb though. I try not to listen to them. They could not be more biased with who they want most years. All I hear is Patriots, Vikings and Eagles hype.

I think power rankings this time of the year are meaningless. I should not complain though, I don't want the Colts to be favored too much. I want them under the radar. When they were heavily favored for some years they, it was the kiss of death I felt.

BTW as for the Pats they have some issues too I feel. I am not sold on their secondary. I think Vrabel will be missed. Brady is still a question mark I feel until I see some full games in the regular season. The o line can be had. Hell they got owned by the Bengals last week. They are a good team, but hardly the super team I see them painted as. I am also not sold on Maroney or some of the aging backs making a huge difference. I think they are a good team but the media needs to chill out at times. Also, who is the new OC for the Patriots?

Last edited:
Most of the media is pretty dumb though. I try not to listen to them. They could not be more biased with who they want most years. All I hear is Patriots, Vikings and Eagles hype.

I think power rankings this time of the year are meaningless. I should not complain though, I don't want the Colts to be favored too much. I want them under the radar. When they were heavily favored for some years they, it was the kiss of death I felt.

BTW as for the Pats they have some issues too I feel. I am not sold on their secondary. I think Vrabel will be missed. Brady is still a question mark I feel. The o line can be had. Hell they got owned by the Bengals last week. They are a good team, but hardly the super team I see them painted as. I am also not sold on Maroney or some of the aging backs making a huge difference.

Every team has their issues and question marks. The Pats have less or as few as any team in the league. The secondary will be improved no matter what happens although it may not be great. Seriously though, can you think of three teams as few holes going into the season as the Patriots. Granted the Cowboys have had no holes for years except the hole where each of the players' heart should have been.

Not every one in the media are idiots and the Steelers and Patriots are the only universally selected teams to be legitimate playoff contenders no matter if the media person is an idiot or knows what he is talking about.

But preseason favorites turn into disapointments and preseason duds turn into stud contenders. We will have to see. I still think the Colts are on the decline and I will wait to be proven wrong or not. I think the Pats are a legitimate contenders although they may fall short.

Every team has their issues and question marks. The Pats have less or as few as any team in the league. The secondary will be improved no matter what happens although it may not be great. Seriously though, can you think of three teams as few holes going into the season as the Patriots. Granted the Cowboys have had no holes for years except the hole where each of the players' heart should have been.

Not every one in the media are idiots and the Steelers and Patriots are the only universally selected teams to be legitimate playoff contenders no matter if the media person is an idiot or knows what he is talking about.

But preseason favorites turn into disapointments and preseason duds turn into stud contenders. We will have to see. I still think the Colts are on the decline and I will wait to be proven wrong or not. I think the Pats are a legitimate contenders although they may fall short.

The Steelers should be picked. They just won the Super Bowl. They should be ranked first everywhere by default.

But, its humerous considering how few people gave the Steelers a chance last offseason. Or Arizona. Thats why the media is full of idiots. They play favorites and ride bandwagons every offseason. And fans often buy into it too much.

BTW I can't tell you who has more holes or less holes then the Patriots until I see some real regular season games. Right now, we are mostly going by whats on paper. And that can be deceiving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back