PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Why isn't Bill Polian being criticized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Colts have had double digit wins in 11 of the past 12 seasons. The teams he's built have clearly been pretty good overall. Unfortunately for the Colts, this year has been a perfect storm, with poor recent drafting combining with a lot of players on the IR, and then topped off with a pretty tough schedule. Curtis Painter's been a disaster, and Polian deserves a lot of heat for waiting too long before bringing in a veteran QB to serve as a backup but, in a spot of good fortune for Colts fans, this is all happening in the perfect year for it from a draft perspective.

I'm enjoying the schadenfreude while I can, because the "Suck for Luck" may end up putting the Colts in position to maintain the consistently high level of play we've seen from that team for over a decade, while the Patriots are probably still looking for their QBOTF.

What on this earth have you seen from these Colts that's has you believing that spending the #1 pick on an unproven rookie will help them win more than 40% of their games?

The Colts have SO MANY holes, everywhere, at every position except maybe DE (and Mathis is probably gone next year), that they'd be MUCH better served trading that #1 pick for a parcel of picks this year and in the future, so they can get some actual NFL caliber players on that team.

If they do take Luck, they'll be lucky to win 6 next year, and it will take years for them to become competitive again. They need an entire OL, Freeney is getting old, no TE, no DB, no LB, nothing.

This was GREAT. How do you find this stuff, Shmess?

That's why the Colts will spend the next 3 seasons rebuilding, and the Pats will continue to rebuild while enjoying double digit win seasons and contending for superbowls

Thanks, Ken. I vividly remembered this column in the spring when it came out and couldn't believe the snark in it.

From time to time, I've gone back and looked to see if this "expert" had written a mea culpa. NOPE! In fact, he has a recent column where he unabashadly takes Polian apart for the very same things he praised him (and made fun of the Patriots) for in the spring column.

Last edited:
Outside of their division rivals, also small market poorly run teams over the last decade, nobody really hates or loves Indy except maybe us and Indy fans.

There are still a lot of old Colt fans, in Maryland, that absolutely hate the Irsays and everything about the Indy Colts.

Thanks, Ken. I vividly remembered this column in the spring when it came out and couldn't believe the snark in it.

From time to time, I've gone back and looked to see if this "expert" had written a mea culpa. NOPE! In fact, he has a recent column where he unabashadly takes Polian apart for the very same things he praised him (and made fun of the Patriots) for in the spring column.

From what I gather from my boss (lives in Indy, big Colts homer), Kravitz is their version of Borges.

What on this earth have you seen from these Colts that's has you believing that spending the #1 pick on an unproven rookie will help them win more than 40% of their games?

The Colts have SO MANY holes, everywhere, at every position except maybe DE (and Mathis is probably gone next year), that they'd be MUCH better served trading that #1 pick for a parcel of picks this year and in the future, so they can get some actual NFL caliber players on that team.

If they do take Luck, they'll be lucky to win 6 next year, and it will take years for them to become competitive again. They need an entire OL, Freeney is getting old, no TE, no DB, no LB, nothing.

The Colts are built to play a certain style of football. They are not built to play any other. Getting another top end QB would allow them to continue playing the same style.

As happens a lot here, and on most fan sites regardless of team, people overreact to both the good and bad. The Colts were probably a 9-11 win team this year with Manning.

The Colts are built to play a certain style of football. They are not built to play any other. Getting another top end QB would allow them to continue playing the same style.

As happens a lot here, and on most fan sites regardless of team, people overreact to both the good and bad. The Colts were probably a 9-11 win team this year with Manning.

The New England Patriots are a T-E-A-M and have a decade of winning no matter what the situation.

The Indianapolis Colts are a house of cards built on one man with no insurance policy.

You can try to polish that one up, I'd enjoy watching your attempt.

Last edited:

You are crazy. :) They'd win 9 *at most* with Manning this year, even the Colts homers are saying that.

This team is terrible. Even one of the best QBs in the league can't fix that. They've been on the decline for a while, but it caught up with them this year.

The New England Patriots are a T-E-A-M and have a decade of winning no matter what the situation.

The Indianapolis Colts are a house of cards built on one man with no insurance policy.

The Colts are a T-E-A-M and came into this season with 11 double-digit-win seasons in 12 years, which matches up quite favorably with the Patriots and pretty much every other team in NFL history short of the 49ers. Eventually, dynasties crumble. Unfortunately, what was more likely a blip on the radar than a permanent crumbling, may have netted the Colts the player they needed to get right back to winning in double digits for another decade+.

The Colts are a T-E-A-M and came into this season with 11 double-digit-win seasons in 12 years, which matches up quite favorably with the Patriots and pretty much every other team in NFL history short of the 49ers. Eventually, dynasties crumble. Unfortunately, what was more likely a blip on the radar than a permanent crumbling, may have netted the Colts the player they needed to get right back to winning in double digits for another decade+.

0-10.

That's a joke.

And, yes, I AM enjoying your fully expected attempt to debate this.

You are crazy. :) They'd win 9 *at most* with Manning this year, even the Colts homers are saying that.

This team is terrible. Even one of the best QBs in the league can't fix that. They've been on the decline for a while, but it caught up with them this year.

Jaguars * 2
Chiefs
Browns
Panthers
Titans *2

That's a probable 6-7 wins right there, before you even get to difficult games. Anyone who thinks 9 wins was the ceiling for that team with Manning isn't paying attention.

Jaguars * 2
Chiefs
Browns
Panthers
Titans *2

That's a probable 6-7 wins right there, before you even get to difficult games. Anyone who thinks 9 wins was the ceiling for that team with Manning isn't paying attention.

Think what you want, but this team is terrible. Terrible. Your MO is to argue anyways, so I'll just let it drop here.

0-10.

That's a joke.

And, yes, I AM enjoying your fully expected attempt to debate this.

There's no way you're enjoying it as much as I'm enjoying your attempt to bring nothing factual to the table while claiming you've done something in the discussion.

Think what you want, but this team is terrible. Terrible. Your MO is to argue anyways, so I'll just let it drop here.

I made a post that was completely non-confrontational, and you jumped on it. My "MO" had nothing to do with it. Your decision to argue was the catalyst.

I made a post that was completely non-confrontational, and you jumped on it. My "MO" had nothing to do with it. Your decision to argue was the catalyst.

Absolutely not, where did I 'jump' on it? Just posted my opinion, but once again, you have a (provably) argumentative MO, so anytime someone disagrees they're 'jumping on you'.

You need to lighten up, Francis.

I'm enjoying the schadenfreude while I can, because the "Suck for Luck" may end up putting the Colts in position to maintain the consistently high level of play we've seen from that team for over a decade , while the Patriots are probably still looking for their QBOTF.

Not without a decent offensive line, he won't. It will be Jim Plunkett redux when a great QB, also out of Stanford nearly got killed behind a patchwork line and only after a few years and ending up in Oakland via SF did we see his true potential when he won a pair of Super Bowls at the age of 33 and 36....

Please. Kind of like when BB intentionally instructed Cassell to throw a pass into the third row against the dolphins to ensure we would play the jags, the best thing for the Colts franchise this year was to lose every single game. If the Pats were in the same situation, you better believe you would be rooting for them every week to lose.

And, btw, when Curtis Painter is your QB, you don't have to do anything special to "throw" the game. He is perfectly capable of ensuring defeat all by himself.

One important difference here: the Bengals (the other team "competing" for #3 that year) had already rolled over and said "Hey, NE, you want the #3 seed, it's yours for the taking."

Absolutely not, where did I 'jump' on it? Just posted my opinion, but once again, you have a (provably) argumentative MO, so anytime someone disagrees they're 'jumping on you'.

You need to lighten up, Francis.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/854582-ot-why-isnt-bill-polian-being-criticized.html#post2811164

My post wasn't aimed at anyone, called Polian out for not getting a veteran into camp sooner, and did nothing else but note that the Colts may have lucked into getting Luck by hitting the skids in just the right year, which could allow them to get the jump on the Patriots in the QBOTF sweepstakes. Posting your opinion, when it's counter to the other person's opinion is how you "jump" on it. It's also how message boards work and isn't something I have a problem with, but you decided to add the "MO" crap in your followup.

As for lightening up, I'm not the one posting that someone else's MO is to argue after arguing with that person's non-confrontational post, and then continuing to argue with that person. You might wish to see a doctor for that raging case of hypocrisy that you seem to have.

Last edited:
Edit: nevermind, not worth the effort...

Last edited:
Not without a decent offensive line, he won't. It will be Jim Plunkett redux when a great QB, also out of Stanford nearly got killed behind a patchwork line and only after a few years and ending up in Oakland via SF did we see his true potential when he won a pair of Super Bowls at the age of 33 and 36....

Assuming that he'll take a bit more of a hands on approach this offseason, Polian will likely get that team heading back in the right direction, and drafting first in every round will be one way to help with that. His career shows that to be what he does.

Given the reports I've seen, I'm hoping that Irsay and Bill allow Chris to keep running the show. That seems to be the best case scenario for the 31 other NFL teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back