PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Why I think the Jets have permanently ruined Sanchez...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why I think the Jets have permanently ruined Sanchez...

I see Cutler as a similar situation to Sanchez. Cutler is pretty much the only piece of talent in the bears offense right now. The line is terrible, and Hester is the only legitimate WR they have. Sanchez has a better line, and better WRs, but hes got nowhere near the tools at this point.

if you've followed cutler's career you'd know he's the "mvp of september"

he starts fast, and putters to the finish line, making some of the stupidest mental errors you can imagine

his line in chicago sucks alot worse than it was in denver, and hs receivers are worse than denver, but he's got a better TE, and knox is decent, and forte is good, but yeah, cutler = start fast, never finishes over .500

he's the 40 billion dollar airport with the 10 cent radio tower

This thread is looking more and more like Mark's destiny.

im a pats fan and i hate the jets like every good pats fans, but give sanchez a fair shake.

ive got nfl Redzone so i consider myself a prime authority on the jets.

Sanchez looked pretty decent this season leading up to the patriots game obviously, the week prior when he played the Bengals he played pretty bad, but still good enough to win, of course it all fell apart in foxboro, this can be for a multitude of reason, but here at the most likely.

1. Sanchez cant deal with the cold.

Sanchez isnt a good cold weather quarterback, he isnt used to it. think about it, he played at USC and it couldn't have been too cold down there in the shorter season, the jets had a great running game last year which they utilized to take pressure off of sanchez, but now that they dont, sanchez has to make throws into cold in cold weather, ive heard from multiple people that sanchez was complaining about the cold in foxboro throughout the pats game, this does not bode well for a team in NY.

2. He struggles with making his reads in coverage defense.

With less guys in the box he needs to make his reads fast and he knows any decision he makes could cost his team the game, in such a pressure scenario, he might panic and make less reads or try to force the ball to his playmakers. coordinators can figure this stuff out and exploit it, making you look worse than you are. perhaps all he needs is more patience for something to open up.

3. Schottenheimer sucks!

ive heard alot of this lately from jets fans, maybe we should start believing it, if schottenheimer isnt making the modifications he needs to in order to take pressure off of an obviously struggling Sanchez, thats on him. when you look at brady against the blitz or against a particular defensive front he changes the way he passes, who he passes to or what plays he runs, sanchez isnt going to call his own plays in the heat of the game, if schottenheimer isnt changing it up enough, that is his fault.

anyway, maybe im wrong and Sanchez just totally sucks, hopefully he does and puts the jets in a really bad spot, but bad stretches of games happen for quarterbacks, just look at manning, nobody would call him a bust even after throwing like 10 ints in 3 weeks.

KC Joyner thinks Jet fans need to be patient with Sanchez. Interestingly the first comment after the article points out that the Jets are built to win now - and therefore the team as currently constituted does not have the luxury of waiting.
Joe Namath told a story one time about learning how to properly read a zone coverage. He said that for a while it didn't seem like he was ever going to figure it out, but he kept working at it and working at it. Finally he woke up one morning and it just made sense to him. He couldn't explain why but he suddenly just understood it, and that's when his career started to take off.

Football Scientist: On Joe Namath, Mark Sanchez and bad decisions - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

A bad decision is debited to a quarterback whenever he makes a mistake with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near-turnover (i.e., an interception that was dropped, a fumble that was recovered by the offense, etc.).

There are a number of different mistakes that can end up being marked off as bad decisions, but in the eight years of tracking this metric, the only one that is really hard to overcome is when the quarterback reads the defense correctly and still decides to force a pass into coverage. This is what drove Packers fans crazy with Brett Favre over the years. He would be having a great game and then just suddenly decide he wanted to roll the dice and -- bang! -- he would kill a drive with an interception.

That hasn't been Sanchez's issue. The big problem for him is that he seems to have trouble accurately reading defenses consistently. Six of his 13 bad-decision passes this year were ones where he didn't see a defender in the passing lane. It wasn't a matter of taking chances but rather being fooled by coverage.

And that is why we all need to be more patient with the guy. If it took Joe Willie -- one of the most naturally gifted quarterbacks of all time -- a few seasons to get this down when the zone defenses weren't anywhere near as complex as they are today, we shouldn't get too down on Sanchez when he takes just as long.

im a pats fan and i hate the jets like every good pats fans, but give sanchez a fair shake.

ive got nfl Redzone so i consider myself a prime authority on the jets.

Sanchez looked pretty decent this season leading up to the patriots game obviously, the week prior when he played the Bengals he played pretty bad, but still good enough to win, of course it all fell apart in foxboro, this can be for a multitude of reason, but here at the most likely.

1. Sanchez cant deal with the cold.

Sanchez isnt a good cold weather quarterback, he isnt used to it. think about it, he played at USC and it couldn't have been too cold down there in the shorter season, the jets had a great running game last year which they utilized to take pressure off of sanchez, but now that they dont, sanchez has to make throws into cold in cold weather, ive heard from multiple people that sanchez was complaining about the cold in foxboro throughout the pats game, this does not bode well for a team in NY.

2. He struggles with making his reads in coverage defense.

With less guys in the box he needs to make his reads fast and he knows any decision he makes could cost his team the game, in such a pressure scenario, he might panic and make less reads or try to force the ball to his playmakers. coordinators can figure this stuff out and exploit it, making you look worse than you are. perhaps all he needs is more patience for something to open up.

3. Schottenheimer sucks!

ive heard alot of this lately from jets fans, maybe we should start believing it, if schottenheimer isnt making the modifications he needs to in order to take pressure off of an obviously struggling Sanchez, thats on him. when you look at brady against the blitz or against a particular defensive front he changes the way he passes, who he passes to or what plays he runs, sanchez isnt going to call his own plays in the heat of the game, if schottenheimer isnt changing it up enough, that is his fault.

anyway, maybe im wrong and Sanchez just totally sucks, hopefully he does and puts the jets in a really bad spot, but bad stretches of games happen for quarterbacks, just look at manning, nobody would call him a bust even after throwing like 10 ints in 3 weeks.

Good post, but I also have the red zone channel, and I watch every Jets game provided it does not interfere with my Patriots watching. First of all, I do not agree that Schottenheimer sucks; I think he is a decent offensive coordinator. Why? Because there are about 10-12 plays per game where the receiver or running back is wide open and the Jets fail to execute the play. In my opinion, the Jets have better weapons on offense than the Patriots, but the only difference is Tom Brady. Brady comes out and dictates the game from the first drive, forcing the defense to get out of what it likes to do and confuses them. Sanchez cannot complete "what the defense gives him."

A completion % in the NFL below 55, after two years, is absolutely pathetic, especially considering the talent Sanchez has around him. On an average NFL team, he would likely be 3-10 this season, as that defense keeps them in games and allows him to suck and continue getting opportunities. See games vs. Denver, Houston, Detroit, and Miami... all games where any other quarterback would be on the wrong end of a blowout, with absolutely no punch for three and a half quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back